Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2011, 13:59   #1
BHPian

A thud from the rear while braking!!

A year Old Verna D has started showing this symptom of creating a reasonably loud thud while breaking from rear. It seems as if a heavy box drops in the boot. The other thing is that if I pump the breakes for a while it goes away, & it generally seems more prominent during the morning times.
It seems that my rear brakes are getting applied before the front brakes do!! Request fellows to offer tips please!!
Old 24th May 2011, 14:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: A thud while braking from rear!!

Cant kind of point it to a problem with the brakes coz if you need to pump the brakes a few times means there is a leak / air trapped in the brake lines hence brakes will not apply sufficiently.

Logically the sound would point to one of the following 3:
1) Something loose rolling about in your boot
2) A loose fuel tank, but that is far from being probable
3) rear strut/bottom arm being loose

Do check and revert
Psycho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2011, 14:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
1) Something loose rolling about in your boot
Reminds me of the one and only time i took my car out on the track. I didn't take the subwoofer out and half way around the track I was left wondering what's that thudding sound?
Old 24th May 2011, 14:32   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I hope it's not an axle on the way out. A possibility considering the history of Vernas & their axle problems. @ Avigster, you might want to get an underbody / suspension check done right away.
Old 24th May 2011, 16:28   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by avigster View Post
A year Old Verna D has started showing this symptom of creating a reasonably loud thud while breaking from rear. It seems as if a heavy box drops in the boot. The other thing is that if I pump the breakes for a while it goes away, & it generally seems more prominent during the morning times.
It seems that my rear brakes are getting applied before the front brakes do!! Request fellows to offer tips please!!
Ruling out an obvious loose element like a spare wheel or jack? Does your car gets washed daily? If so it mighty be a sticky rear brake pad also and hence the sound goes off once it dries up.

Have you checked the rear brakes? Get the system serviced and see if it helps.
Old 24th May 2011, 16:50   #6
BHPian

It might be disel sloshing around in the tank. Fill the tank up fully and try breaking, it might be fine. This problem was quite common in indica before
Old 24th May 2011, 18:56   #7
BHPian

Your rear brake shoes are worn out. Or it might be the drums worn. 1 year is too early for brake shoes to wear out, but you may have driven the car with hand brake applied or it migh have been towed with hand brakes applied. This may also happen because of dirt in the drums. This is the definite reason. Get the drums checked.
Old 24th May 2011, 19:20   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas Ingle View Post
Your rear brake shoes are worn out. Or it might be the drums worn. 1 year is too early for brake shoes to wear out, but you may have driven the car with hand brake applied or it migh have been towed with hand brakes applied. This may also happen because of dirt in the drums. This is the definite reason. Get the drums checked.
Thanks Tejas, I too believe so! Also, I observe that when the car is real slow & that when the brakes are applied, the car stops with a jerk that makes its presence felt with its epicentre being in the rear only. The car was given for service to Trident Kalyan-nagar last week & they claimed to have done something. However, I was not able to reproduce the problem in front of the service adviser, so evidently his efforts to resolve it haven't really done so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I hope it's not an axle on the way out. A possibility considering the history of Vernas & their axle problems. @ Avigster, you might want to get an underbody / suspension check done right away.
The car has done only 11000 Kms, & I am a very careful driver. Do you think it'd be axle work already? Service adviser informed that a proper under-body inspection was done during the third service.

I have asked him to come to my residence in the morning time so that we could reproduce the issue together. I am hoping he shows up soon.

& thanks for the tips, but it's definitely not the diesel in tank, or any loose object in the boot.
Old 24th May 2011, 19:28   #9
BHPian

Look no further Avigster. The rear drum is the definite problem. There is a setting for the brake shoes which can also be set incorrectly.
Old 24th May 2011, 23:39   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Ruling out an obvious loose element like a spare wheel or jack?
Let me recount a little story. When I bought the Verna, the spare wheel came with a provision to fasten it to the boot floor. Basically a screw that wound down the center of the steel wheel.

When I bought the alloys, there was no hole in the center and no provision to fasten them down. As a result, every time I brake hard, there is a loud thud from the rear, like a heavy box dropping in the boot

So if your spare wheel is an alloy, or (if its a steel wheel) check if its unfastened. Unlikely that just a 11K old Verna will have axle or brake problems.

Quote:
Look no further Avigster. The rear drum is the definite problem. There is a setting for the brake shoes which can also be set incorrectly.
Wow, very definitive reply. Nothing against your knowledge dude, but if my suspicion of a loose spare wheel comes true -
Old 24th May 2011, 23:47   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Wow, very definitive reply. Nothing against your knowledge dude, but if my suspicion of a loose spare wheel comes true -
Bet on this dude. If the brake shoes aren't worn out, then the adjustments are wrong. But it has certainly got something to do with the drums.
Old 25th May 2011, 00:11   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Bet on this dude. If the brake shoes aren't worn out, then the adjustments are wrong. But it has certainly got something to do with the drums.
..Are there any settings recommended Tejas?

Last edited by avigster : 25th May 2011 at 00:12. Reason: typo
Old 25th May 2011, 00:27   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avigster View Post
..Are there any settings recommended Tejas?
Dont know the details as I have never done it myself. But I have seen mechanics do it.
Old 25th May 2011, 07:02   #14
Senior - BHPian

Re: A thud from the rear while braking!!

Quote:
Does your car gets washed daily? If so it mighty be a sticky rear brake pad also and hence the sound goes off once it dries up
I second this. Please do check if the sound goes off once the brakes dry up.

The other thing i would check is the suspension. Sometimes stiff suspension set up causes this sound.
Old 25th May 2011, 07:47   #15
BHPian

Re: A thud from the rear while braking!!

I have a similar issue on my Baleno, but its a metal noise from the front right wheel. Had a check with my mechanic and found the calliper pin (tats wat they call it ) had rust. (It is a sort of piston like thing) They tried cleaning it, but still the noise is there. Now I am in search of the pin around the spare part shops, but failed to find it yet.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks