Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2011, 14:00   #1
BHPian

Rattlling, noisy Linea T-Jet. Tata- Fiat A.S.S Useless and Hopeless.

So till date my 5k done Linea T-Jet has spent 9 days at workshop in totality.
Problems till date-
1. Rear plastic rattling- earlier I thought it is the misaligned door. They fixed the alignment, the rattling reduced but did not disappear. Now it has increased. I myself am unable to make where the sound is coming from (forget about KHT motors mechanics)

2. Rear left suspension klick-klick sound- And now the sound is coming from both the sides while slowly manuevering the car over potholes.

3. Gear noise while shifting from 1st to 2nd- They did quick fix last time and the sound was reduced, now the sound is back.

This is happening when I am NOT driving the car the way any Fiat is meant to be driven. I am very careful on pot-holes and not rashing. Not sure what will break if I start rashing the car around the way I do with Palio.

I complained the problems to Fiat 3 times till date. They do their job excellent in following up, but there is all talk and no work at the end of the day.

I know the problems are very small, still wonder the level of competent mechanics the dealers have that they are unable to diagnose a simple plastic rattling, forget about fixing it.

I have crossed my fingers for any major faults like Engine breakdown. Touch-wood, but if it happens then I am ready to pack and transfer the car to Ranjangaon plant.

I have stopped recommending Fiat to my well-wishers. Made a mistake of recommending two of them which was a materialized deal. It was based on my Palio experience which according to me does NOT belong to the awful quality family Fiat India cars.

My car was taken by KHT again today after following up/requesting/complaining for multiple times since last week.
Prior to this my car was with KHT from saturday 14th till tuesday 18th (5 days). Besides not fixing the rattling issue and dirty greases here and there, they goofed up my glove box. I have no idea why they touched something which was proper in place. The glove box got a play and open/closes in two steps now.

I cannot try other dealer since I do not have the bandwidth to go to other end of Bangalore. Location was the key for me to select KHT.

Hunting for a Hariprasad Automobiles for my Linea now.

Last edited by Speed Pujari : 24th May 2011 at 14:01.
Old 24th May 2011, 14:22   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rattlling, noisy Linea T-Jet. Tata- Fiat A.S.S Useless and Hopeless.

Unfortunate that the ownership experience of such a nice sedan should get marred by:

- Niggles that ought to be sorted at the factory level
- Incompetent after sales quality

Fiat will never improve. Here are my suggestions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post
Rear plastic rattling- earlier I thought it is the misaligned door. They fixed the alignment, the rattling reduced but did not disappear. Now it has increased.
Quote:
Rear left suspension klick-klick sound- And now the sound is coming from both the sides while slowly manuevering the car over potholes.
I suggest you have these issues looked at from an expert independent mechanic. Then, go back with the solution and tell the Fiat service station how to sort it right.

BTW, if you are so particular about rattles, you might want to consider damping. Will improve your ICE and overall NVH too!

Quote:
Gear noise while shifting from 1st to 2nd- They did quick fix last time and the sound was reduced, now the sound is back.
What noise? Is it like a c-r-u-n-c-h or g-r-i-n-d?
Old 24th May 2011, 14:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Hunting for a Hariprasad Automobiles for my Linea now.
They are based in Basavangudi. Not sure if they are good with the newer Fiats. But definitely the older range of Fiat i.e. Palio/Petra/Adventure/Uno/etc this is good at.

They can be reached at 080-26675590
Old 24th May 2011, 14:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear this. Looks like Fiat is killing a very good product.

I'm not sure of the sound you are getting, but my Fiesta had a squeaky sound coming from the rear right, and despite my efforts by sitting in the rear seat when my son was driving, I could not pinpoint it.

A visit to Ford dealer settled the issue----it was the hand brake cable that needed greasing.
Old 24th May 2011, 14:45   #5
BHPian

SpeedPujari,

Sorry to hear about your woes with FIAT A.S.S.

Kindly request you to try Prerana Motors at Kudlu gate once. I have been there for 4 services in the last 6 months and they have been fantastic. I guess being an older dealer Prerana does have more experienced mechanics too.
Old 24th May 2011, 14:47   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So till date my 5k done Linea T-Jet has spent 9 days at workshop in totality.
Problems till date-
1. Rear plastic rattling- earlier I thought it is the misaligned door. They fixed the alignment, the rattling reduced but did not disappear. Now it has increased. I myself am unable to make where the sound is coming from (forget about KHT motors mechanics)

2. Rear left suspension klick-klick sound- And now the sound is coming from both the sides while slowly manuevering the car over potholes.
Not specific to the Linea but, a rattle can also emerge due to low tyre pressure. Can you check your tyre pressure on that particular wheel where you also have suspension noise?

Fiat quality has been deteriorating by the day and they still expect chart breaking sales figures with new launches.
Old 24th May 2011, 15:15   #7
BHPian

Guess what?! I have this rattling issue with my Punto 1.4 too. It's from the back alright, but I have no clue on what is rattling. It increases over potholes. Will be giving my Punto for the 1 year service in a couple of days. I am also miffed at this sorry state of affairs.

The Glove box also seems to have broken from one side, the clip is dismounted. And talking about the quality of plastics, my cousin recently tapped on the Passenger side Sun visor with the Vanity mirror thingy and to my horror, the plastic strip holding the mirror in place cracked and the mirror fell out.

And yeah, the Blue Me isn't working too.

But the car drives like a dream!
Old 24th May 2011, 15:21   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have you installed speakers in the rear parcel tray? This can cause the parcel tray to sag in the middle, which in turn might lead to the rattling. Another reason for the rattling could be the plastic covering type widget at the start of the seat belt, where it meets the C pillar on the inside.

Quote:

3. Gear noise while shifting from 1st to 2nd- They did quick fix last time and the sound was reduced, now the sound is back.

I know the problems are very small.....
They may appear to be small, but they might be symptoms of some bigger issue. It's good that you are insisting on and following up for a complete resolution. As GTO suggested, get an opinion from an independent mechanic too; it'll at least help you in identifying the cause of the problem, if not solving it.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 24th May 2011 at 15:23.
Old 24th May 2011, 15:31   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
- Niggles that ought to be sorted at the factory level
- Incompetent after sales quality
Till date I repent not going for the PDI. The gear noise is there since day-1.

Quote:
Fiat will never improve. Here are my suggestions:

I suggest you have these issues looked at from an expert independent mechanic. Then, go back with the solution and tell the Fiat service station how to sort it right.

BTW, if you are so particular about rattles, you might want to consider damping. Will improve your ICE and overall NVH too!
This thought never crossed my mind. Can you please point me to any known/renowned mechanic in Bangalore?

Quote:
What noise? Is it like a c-r-u-n-c-h or g-r-i-n-d?

Once you shift the gears with open bonnet you hear the cable sound. It is like tuuung-tuk type. I hear the same inside the cabin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
They are based in Basavangudi. Not sure if they are good with the newer Fiats. But definitely the older range of Fiat i.e. Palio/Petra/Adventure/Uno/etc this is good at.

They can be reached at 080-26675590
I know them pretty well as I take my Palio there. I meant I need a Hariprasad for Linea. This Hariprsad is for Palio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Sorry to hear this. Looks like Fiat is killing a very good product.

I'm not sure of the sound you are getting, but my Fiesta had a squeaky sound coming from the rear right, and despite my efforts by sitting in the rear seat when my son was driving, I could not pinpoint it.

A visit to Ford dealer settled the issue----it was the hand brake cable that needed greasing.
Ford got mechanic better than Fiat then, I believe Fiat got the crash course trained mechanics. Digest this- they take 2.5 hours to replace engine oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
SpeedPujari,

Sorry to hear about your woes with FIAT A.S.S.

Kindly request you to try Prerana Motors at Kudlu gate once. I have been there for 4 services in the last 6 months and they have been fantastic. I guess being an older dealer Prerana does have more experienced mechanics too.
I am sorry lloydofcochin, my experience with Prerana was rather quite bitter when I took Palio to them. They do the routine jobs properly but not smart in diagnosis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Not specific to the Linea but, a rattle can also emerge due to low tyre pressure. Can you check your tyre pressure on that particular wheel where you also have suspension noise?
Yes, I thought the same thing. I checked the pressure, I maintain 32 rear and 34 front. But also tried varying pressures, no luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Fiat quality has been deteriorating by the day and they still expect chart breaking sales figures with new launches.
They need to work on their ground level issues. Like I said they are good in admin, but bad at support and maintenance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by @tombum View Post
But the car drives like a dream!
This is the same reason which controls my temper, No Thanks to Fiat India for this though !.. But sometimes the driving fun is shortlived when your concentration is distracted towards the rattling.

I have absolutely no idea whether Fiat is really looking into resolving these issues or just giving us a false feel of holding the Dealership ears. I see there is a little impact on the dealership since they repeat the same mistakes consistently.

Anyways, How the dealers can fix the manufacturing/design defects?

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Have you installed speakers in the rear parcel tray? This can cause the parcel tray to sag in the middle, which in turn might lead to the rattling. Another reason for the rattling could be the plastic covering type widget at the start of the seat belt, where it meets the C pillar on the inside.
My car is in complete stock condition Vikram. No mod till date, and seeing all these issues I think my ICE upgradation will remain a dream forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
They may appear to be small, but they might be symptoms of some bigger issue. It's good that you are insisting on and following up for a complete resolution. As GTO suggested, get an opinion from an independent mechanic too; it'll at least help you in identifying the cause of the problem, if not solving it.

Cheers,
Vikram
If I can shell out 11L for the car then I can also pay 15k for transporting my vehicle to Ranjangaon plant. Let them keep the car if they want.

I am starting my hunt for a renowned mechanic now.

Last edited by GTO : 25th May 2011 at 13:05. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 24th May 2011, 15:42   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know them pretty well as I take my Palio there. I meant I need a Hariprasad for Linea. This Hariprsad is for Palio.
Lol. Got your point now!

Well since you have almost exhausted trying out the ASC. Why not try something like a Bosch Car Service Centre.

Amongst those that are there in Bangalore, the one in Rajajinagar is the best of the lot. I don't know which part of BLR you are put up in, but this place might be a bit out of the way. But for specific trouble shooting these guys are generally good. If you go hear, have a chat with Mr. Dhiraj Mehta over there.

This is based purely on my experience with my Palio and a friend's Baleno!

Quote:
United Motors
No. 20, 1st Main Road,
Industrial Town, Rajaji Nagar
Bangalore - 560044
Karnataka
Cell No. - 9448487037
Phone No. - 080 23406953 / 23359812
E-mail ID - unimotors@airtelmail.in

Bosch - Karnataka

Last edited by praful : 24th May 2011 at 15:44.
praful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2011, 16:02   #11
BHPian

And the number of surveys I have given to Fiat is just endless. Last week, I again received a call from some survey company on behalf of Fiat. It blew my lid off. I asked the guy why so many countless surveys when nothing is done based on my feedback earlier.

He said 'Thank you' and hung up!
Old 24th May 2011, 16:03   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Lol. Got your point now!

Amongst those that are there in Bangalore, the one in Rajajinagar is the best of the lot. I don't know which part of BLR you are put up in, but this place might be a bit out of the way. But for specific trouble shooting these guys are generally good. If you go hear, have a chat with Mr. Dhiraj Mehta over there.

This is based purely on my experience with my Palio and a friend's Baleno!
I have put up in Kundalahalli near marthahalli, but never mind travelling to them over the weekend. Lets see how it goes today since these KHT guys are working on it.
I am trying to stay away from from any other Fiat A.S.S because of two reasons-

1. Very thin or dim chances that they will understand the problem.
2. You end up spending one whole day, achieving absolutely nothing in the end other than frustration and few scratches.

Anyway I just saved one of my weak hearted category colleague buying a punto. I redirected him towards MS.

Last edited by Speed Pujari : 24th May 2011 at 16:05.
Old 24th May 2011, 16:45   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have put up in Kundalahalli near marthahalli, but never mind travelling to them over the weekend. Lets see how it goes today since these KHT guys are working on it.
In that case, do try out the Bosch service center opposite Cosmos Mall. I think its called Om Sai motors, but not sure! This is on the road which is opposite Cosmos. Take the road leading towards Ryan international school, and as soon as you get on this road, take a left and proceed on this road to arrive at this place. I had been there once, and came out with my issue resolved.
Old 24th May 2011, 17:01   #14
BHPian

So finally I gave up my t-jet buying decision. I wanted to own turbo petrol for long time and I was totally inclined towards t-jet even after petrol price hike specially after reading GTO's review. But after reading a lot on Tata-Fiat ***, now I do not want any Fiat. I own Palio 2001 model and I still admire its build quality.
Old 24th May 2011, 17:49   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
In that case, do try out the Bosch service center opposite Cosmos Mall. I think its called Om Sai motors, but not sure! This is on the road which is opposite Cosmos. Take the road leading towards Ryan international school, and as soon as you get on this road, take a left and proceed on this road to arrive at this place. I had been there once, and came out with my issue resolved.
just to give you a heads-up on Om Sai motors, the owner Anil is good, however his charges are quite high. He charged 50 Rs for tightening one bolt on the silencer mufler on my ikon. However as Benny pointed out, whenever i used to visit him for some problem, he was quick and accurate in identifying and solving the problem.

During my 1 year stay in Marathalli, this was my preferred workshop due to their workmanship, dedicated bays and adequate staff & presence of most of the diagnostic tools.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks