Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2011, 21:04   #1
BHPian

Overshot Service Interval. Now what?

My Maruti Wagon R is due for 2nd Free service as it has completed 4900 kms. (2nd Service is due at 5000km or 6 months, whichever is earlier).

Read somewhere on this forum that warranty can be void if not serviced by this time. Practically, is this really an issue ? Would like to delay the servicing by a week and a couple of 100 kms (would touch around 5200-5300 max), because I have an almost full tank. Thoughts ?
Old 27th May 2011, 11:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Overshot Service Interval. Now what?

IMO it also depends on your relationship with the service adviser for your car. Nothing would be void for just 200-300kms extra IMO.

You think they will remove the fuel if it is full tank, then it is NO. AFAIK they don't do it. Check the meter reading when giving for service.

Probably others who have gone through this will give more info. FYI, mine went for service after crossing almost 500kms on the due service
Old 27th May 2011, 12:09   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

it is a technicality, and a good rapport with your centre will balance out 200-300km.
but a lot of people i know have faced issues where changing of something expensive(covered under warranty) was required, but they were just 10kms over the limit, and it was charged lock, stock and barrel....
I'd advise taking the risk of losing a bit of the fuel by way of pilfering(wont be much if you make a note of the quantity/mileage etc on the jobcard), than to lose thousands more on something which would have been covered under warranty.
Old 27th May 2011, 12:48   #4
BHPian

Absolutely not an issue as long as you don't reach 6000kms (then it 'could' be a little problematic).

I have done this several times in Wagon R, Swift and Dzire (all were bought within the last 3 years and I got all free services done within +/- 500kms of the stipulation.

No problems with warranty!
Old 27th May 2011, 14:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

5000kms servicing in modern cars is just a checkup. There is no replacement of oils etc. So I believe it can be streched upto 6000 kms but keep your SA informed that you have pressing work and hence can't come at 5000 and would be coming by 5300-5400.
DieselFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2011, 16:43   #6
Senior - BHPian

about a 100 to 200kms should not be a problem.
Now think of it this way say you are out of your city and need to drive back 200 kms to the service station. you obviously are not going to tow the vehicle for 200 kms right. Just relax. the service centre will understand. But if you are only doing this for fuel then i don't think it's really worth it. the ASC marks the level of fuel when you drive in, so even if they do snatch some petrol it can't be more than 3-4 liters tops. So just drive it down to the ASC and get your free service done.
Old 27th May 2011, 16:58   #7
BANNED

On that note, one should plan ones log drives so the miles does not overlap a free servicing schedule.

A few 100kms is ok, I was told so by a Maruti Rep (did he say up to 500? Can't remember).

--Ragul
Old 27th May 2011, 17:06   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Is the sole reason that you are delaying the service is cos of the full tank fuel, and concerned that will be lost at the A.S.S?.

These days, A.S.S have a check-in-sheet or whatever they call it, which includes a meter to mark how much fuel was there in the car at the time of check in. So that should not be an issue. You will not lose fuel at the A.S.S.

In any case, a couple of hundred kilometers extra should not void the warranty.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2011, 17:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

Not a prob. I got my 3rd service after a good one month. Just tell 'em you were abroad. They will ask you to fill a form and you are good. Maruti doesn't make a big fuss out of it. At least for me, they didn't.
Old 27th May 2011, 17:12   #10
BHPian

Shouldn't be an issue at all. All you need to do is call up your service center and tell them you'll be coming in a week late. Say you're making a road trip. Simple.
Old 27th May 2011, 18:04   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinavm View Post
My Maruti Wagon R is due for 2nd Free service as it has completed 4900 kms. (2nd Service is due at 5000km or 6 months, whichever is earlier).

Read somewhere on this forum that warranty can be void if not serviced by this time. Practically, is this really an issue ? Would like to delay the servicing by a week and a couple of 100 kms (would touch around 5200-5300 max), because I have an almost full tank. Thoughts ?
Warranty will not be void; but they will throw tantrums. The time factor being extended for free servicing has happened with all our vehicles, the A.S.S. doesn't really mind it; shouldn't be a problem with a small odometer over-run too.

But not worth delaying because you have a full tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
5000kms servicing in modern cars is just a checkup. There is no replacement of oils etc.
Well, Honda says otherwise. They have specifically mentioned servicing every 5000kms/6months when oil is changed. It is every 3 months that the servicing is just a checkup.

My dad got a call from Pearl Honda about the ANHC; he was told, "If you don't get your car for servicing every 5000kms/6months, although warranty will not be void, we cannot guaratee that parts will replaced free of cost under warranty". Needless to say, Honda got a nice email from me. But they did reiterate that full-scale servicing is expected at 5000kms/6months, whichever is earlier.

The above is for Honda, the OP has a Maruti, but I just cited the example to say that the generalization that 5000kms is checkup isn't applicable.
Old 27th May 2011, 18:18   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

@Abhinav, call the service center & book the service for next week. Tell them you are at 4900, but have some urgent running around because of which you are not able to come earlier. They normally will accept a little delay, esp if you tell them in advance.

But next time, remember to fill up less when servicing is due.

@Shishir, if petrol - there is a possibility of petrol pilferage. Esp with petrol now at 71 a liter. Always makes sense to keep less fuel in the tank when giving for servicing. One person in the A.S.S can give the rest a suspicious name.
Old 13th February 2013, 13:22   #13
BHPian

Missed my car servicing by 1000 odd kilometers

Guys,

I have a i20 CRDi and its done over 13500 kms, my second service was due at 12400 kms. I have another trip which might be over 1000 kms this weekend. I am sure i will not have the time to get it serviced but can anyone let me know if its okay to go ahead.

Mods: I was not able to find a thread for this query, please merge wherever necessary
Old 13th February 2013, 19:48   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Missed my car servicing by 1000 odd kilometers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjimso View Post
I am sure i will not have the time to get it serviced but can anyone let me know if its okay to go ahead.
Technically, yes.

But the point here is if the A.S>S will accomodate the extra running. Chances are they may not. My suggestion - speak to your service advisor and see if you can make him agree to the extra running before you go for the service.
Old 14th February 2013, 19:44   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjimso View Post
Guys,

I have a i20 CRDi and its done over 13500 kms, my second service was due at 12400 kms. I have another trip which might be over 1000 kms this weekend. I am sure i will not have the time to get it serviced but can anyone let me know if its okay to go ahead.

Mods: I was not able to find a thread for this query, please merge wherever necessary
From my experience, nothing to worry. Complete your trip and give for service. Your warranty Will be intact too. No need to fear . I have never given my I20 on time for service. I use my own engine oil from first service. And I have replaced parts worth nearly 25k under warranty. No issues.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks