Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2011, 18:59   #1
BHPian

New Skoda Laura - Issues

Dear BHPians,

After much of debate - have booked (end of Feb) & got the Laura in March 2011. Have driven it around 2000 kms.

General Query: Assembly date to Selling - gap is 3 to 4 months: TAFE folks say that it's common to have a delay of 3 to 4 months from the assembly time frame to selling. As per VIN decoder - the car is assembled in Aurangabad plant in Dec 2010 and they seem to have intended the car in Jan '11, got it in their Mangalore showroom in Feb '11 & sold it to me on 2nd Mar '11.

Is this common & can other Laura owners - shed some light pls.?

I will post my ownership review in detail but, bit later. Meanwhile - have some issues with the car & thought of bringing it up here & seek advice. I have escalated to their GM's here in TAFE access and they have promised to look into the issue by tomorrow once I get the car to their service center tomorrow. It would be my 4th visit in 3 months

Few technical issues:

1) Climatronic Controls: On the day 1 of the car being bought - found out that the "climatronic control" had some issues. All the LED's will flicker & is visible only during nights. Took the car next day to showroom & then to service center. They are still trying to get their hands on with the issue.

2) 12V Electric Socket: Just last week picked up a car phone charger & tried using it & realized that the socket is not working.

3) Cabin Lights: Last week onwards - the cabin lights doesn't work when I open the door or unlock the car using remote. It was working fine till last week.

4) Brakes: have two issues with the same;
i) It turns rusty even if the car is not used for a day.
ii) If I apply breaks at slow speeds - unpleasant noise comes from the front. It's like noice from those buses (thought not that loud).

5) Power Steering: Unpleasant noise comes from the front if i turn the steering to a complete left or right.

6) Clutch: I found the same to be bit harder than my Innova.

While - first three issue are evident & seems to be some eletrical fault - but the last 3 - I am not too sure if there is a issue or is it the way Laura is?

Do let me know your thoughts & advice.

Just hope & pray that there are the only issues & I am not being taken for ride by these folks .
Old 3rd June 2011, 19:13   #2
BHPian

Re: New Skoda Laura - Issues

I have a colleague of mine struggling towards getting getting a Skoda Fabia replaced (2k kms driven) - might seem off topic from Laura. The point here is, Skoda after sales service is extremely bad. I would sincerely request you to keep Skoda India in the loop from day one. Tafe is pretty good at buying time & "forcing you to accept that the problem is resolved".

Good Luck !!
m3_07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2011, 21:12   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshramaling View Post
Few technical issues:

1) Climatronic Controls: On the day 1 of the car being bought - found out that the "climatronic control" had some issues. All the LED's will flicker & is visible only during nights. Took the car next day to showroom & then to service center. They are still trying to get their hands on with the issue.
Ask the Service center guys to replace the Control Panel panel. I got the one in my Elantra changed as one of the bulbs conked off.

Quote:
2) 12V Electric Socket: Just last week picked up a car phone charger & tried using it & realized that the socket is not working.
Does the scanner show any codes? Check Fuse and the charger.

Quote:
3) Cabin Lights: Last week onwards - the cabin lights doesn't work when I open the door or unlock the car using remote. It was working fine till last week.
Did you check the switches? Do they work in other positions?

Quote:
ii) If I apply breaks at slow speeds - unpleasant noise comes from the front. It's like noice from those buses (thought not that loud).
Rusting is normal, it happens in all cars. What do service guys say for the noise?

Quote:
5) Power Steering: Unpleasant noise comes from the front if i turn the steering to a complete left or right.
Is it Kat-Kat sound at full lock when car is moving? or it exists when the car is stationary?

Quote:
Compare the clutch to another Laura for correct reference. Even for all other mechanical issues why not take a test drive of another Laura to compare the differences or take an alternate opinion from some independent workshop or any Laura owner.

Keep us posted.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2011, 21:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

It must be very disheartening to face so many (even if minor) issues in a new car. Wonder if some of the issues point to the possibility of car being flooded? It is a very remote chance but no harm in getting the car thoroughly checked by independent garage. Especially if there are signs of rusting in other parts.
I have not seen rusting on disks to be common in Bangalore.
Guna is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2011, 22:05   #5
BHPian

For your query on distribution after assembly, I took delivery of my car 3 days after completion of its assembly in the plant as confirmed by VIN codes decoding thanks to @Wildon and Vinayak cars for keeping up their words. So, the three months story by Tafe doesn't hold true IMO, but then its fine to take a car assembled 3 months before too.

The clutch action in Skoda is little more heavy and longer than Toyota as per my TDs too, don't think much to worry about here.

I suggest you show your car to Vinayak for the other issues and see what they say about it.
v.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2011, 22:40   #6
Team-BHP Support

3-4 month gap is becuase the VIN is stamped in Czech Republic before kit is shipped over to Aurangabad. About par, my cousins X5 was 3 months old when it landed in UK since they are built in the US!

1) Climatronic Controls: -Sounds like a loose connection assuming the climate control works properly.

2) 12V Electric Socket: Blown fuse. Check fuse but I must warn you the layot is the reverse of what is given in the manual which is for left hand drive cars.

3) Cabin Lights: Check interior switch else get it reprogrammed first

4) Brakes: All brakes will get surface corrosion not to worry, gently press brake when driving off to clear this. The noise can be reduced by applying a small amount of copper grease behind the brake pads. Not sure where you get it in India

5) Power Steering: Most steerings make a graunch noise on extreme lock.

6) Clutch: Benchmarck with another Laura. Clutch will feel heavy because of immense torque
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2011, 22:44   #7
Senior - BHPian

Please check the battery and fuse...Like anshuman said, please post what noise you are hearing with respect to the steering.

It could be from a simple tyre-to-floor (shinyones) noise to problem with the axle.

For the electrical problems i feel there is some loose wires in the fuse box and not with the problem area itself.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2011, 23:33   #8
BHPian

Quote:

Hi, I've just brought a new Laura about 8 days back. This is just to give you my car's feeback on the points mentioned by you. Well, as far as the brake noise is concerned, I have not noticed any such problem in my car. But I would like to mention here of a case a few days back when a fellow I know complained of some noise when applying brakes. The car was brought to the Skoda service station which found a couple of small pebbles stuck between the disc brakes. Whenever he applied the brakes the pebbles would rub against the disc and create that kind of a sound! I think you could check that too.

As far as the clutch and powersteering are concerned, my bit is that there is a small steering adjustment which can be carried out by the Skoda people to remedy it. My car steering has no such hinderances or noises. And that goes for the clutch too. I have driven the Innova too, an I thougt that Laura's clutch was pretty refine and smooth.
Best of luck with your car. I think you will have all the matters sorted out after a visit to the workshop.

Cheers
R. Kotwal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2011, 00:50   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Ask the Service center guys to replace the Control Panel panel. I got the one in my Elantra changed as one of the bulbs conked off.

Does the scanner show any codes? Check Fuse and the charger.

Did you check the switches? Do they work in other positions?

Rusting is normal, it happens in all cars. What do service guys say for the noise?

Is it Kat-Kat sound at full lock when car is moving? or it exists when the car is stationary?

Compare the clutch to another Laura for correct reference. Even for all other mechanical issues why not take a test drive of another Laura to compare the differences or take an alternate opinion from some independent workshop or any Laura owner.

Keep us posted.
Thanks Anshuman

On the climatronic control - when i took it 2nd time to their service center - it was confirmed by the technician that it cannot be repaired and part had to be replaced. Even the part has come to stores. But - for some reason they are deferring to replace it. I have been told it costs some 36k & not sure whether they are trying to avoid replacing.

Cabin Lights - if i switch on the lights - it works normally....but the automatic feature while opening the door & while unlocking using the remote - isn't working. So - it must not be the fuse.

I have disc brakes in my Innova but never saw it rusting even if it stationary for more than a week. So - it was strange to see this one getting rusted even if not used for a day. On the noise front - they said they will check by opening the part.

The sound while turning is normally happens while starting & slower speeds. Actually - can notice the noise even before it hits extreme ends. Service folks said - they'll check this too tom. Will keep you posted.

I have done TD of almost 3 or 4 cars - but those have been shorter distances...so never noticed this. Now - that I drive almost 1 hr one way - so can figure out. Not sure if this fatigue & ageing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
It must be very disheartening to face so many (even if minor) issues in a new car. Wonder if some of the issues point to the possibility of car being flooded? It is a very remote chance but no harm in getting the car thoroughly checked by independent garage. Especially if there are signs of rusting in other parts.
I have not seen rusting on disks to be common in Bangalore.
Thanks Guna! Haven't see any other part being rusted....except the discs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.anand View Post
For your query on distribution after assembly, I took delivery of my car 3 days after completion of its assembly in the plant as confirmed by VIN codes decoding thanks to @Wildon and Vinayak cars for keeping up their words. So, the three months story by Tafe doesn't hold true IMO, but then its fine to take a car assembled 3 months before too.

The clutch action in Skoda is little more heavy and longer than Toyota as per my TDs too, don't think much to worry about here.

I suggest you show your car to Vinayak for the other issues and see what they say about it.
Thanks Anand! Guess - there are few more here have seen the diff of 3 to 4 months between assembly & sales dates. Guess - you were lucky!

Clutch - yes, possible.

If I don't see any positive resolution tomorrow - I will take it to Vinayak and seek alternate opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
3-4 month gap is becuase the VIN is stamped in Czech Republic before kit is shipped over to Aurangabad. About par, my cousins X5 was 3 months old when it landed in UK since they are built in the US!

1) Climatronic Controls: -Sounds like a loose connection assuming the climate control works properly.

2) 12V Electric Socket: Blown fuse. Check fuse but I must warn you the layot is the reverse of what is given in the manual which is for left hand drive cars.

4) Brakes: All brakes will get surface corrosion not to worry, gently press brake when driving off to clear this. The noise can be reduced by applying a small amount of copper grease behind the brake pads. Not sure where you get it in India

6) Clutch: Benchmarck with another Laura. Clutch will feel heavy because of immense torque
Thanks Ajmat! When I decode - the plant name clearly comes as "Aurangabad" and not "Czech". Since it's a CKD - & has aurangabad in it - it must be the assembly date. Any thoughts?

Yes - Climate control works fine. It's just the LED flickering. But technicians have tried already to repair it - but doesn't seem to be working.

AC always takes "fresh air" & that seems to be the default setting. But - in my Innova & Esteem - I have run always with "cabin circulated" mode & never felt any issue with it. So - why would Skoda have this setting?

Copper Grease - hmmm. Any one has any idea about this & where can we get in India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Please check the battery and fuse...Like anshuman said, please post what noise you are hearing with respect to the steering.

It could be from a simple tyre-to-floor (shinyones) noise to problem with the axle.

For the electrical problems i feel there is some loose wires in the fuse box and not with the problem area itself.
Thanks VW2010. I also assume that there is some wiring issue but not the issue with the issue area. Hopefully - will know tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Kotwal View Post
Hi, I've just brought a new Laura about 8 days back. This is just to give you my car's feeback on the points mentioned by you. Well, as far as the brake noise is concerned, I have not noticed any such problem in my car. But I would like to mention here of a case a few days back when a fellow I know complained of some noise when applying brakes. The car was brought to the Skoda service station which found a couple of small pebbles stuck between the disc brakes. Whenever he applied the brakes the pebbles would rub against the disc and create that kind of a sound! I think you could check that too.

As far as the clutch and powersteering are concerned, my bit is that there is a small steering adjustment which can be carried out by the Skoda people to remedy it. My car steering has no such hinderances or noises. And that goes for the clutch too. I have driven the Innova too, an I thougt that Laura's clutch was pretty refine and smooth.
Best of luck with your car. I think you will have all the matters sorted out after a visit to the workshop.

Cheers
Thanks R. Kotwal!

I will surely point this out to the folks in service tomorrow.

On the clutch front - Not sure. Mine is diesel & I guess your's Petrol. Will this cause any difference?

And other thing - which I have noticed in the car is erratic behaviour of the fuel efficiency indicator in MID. I see that when i am idlying in a traffic signal - the litre # goes up at every 30 secs or 1 mins. For e.g., while stopping at a signal & MID states 6.9l/ 100 kms.....after few mins it shows something like 8.4l/ 100 kms. I have seen once it shot up slowly (because of a major pile up of traffic) to 24.3l/ 100 kms. Logically - the value should go down since vehicle consumes lesser fuel while idlying than running. Am i correct? Has anyone have any thoughts?

Any case - will keep you posted what happens in service center & hope everything get's resolved.
Old 4th June 2011, 01:36   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... Logically - the value should go down since vehicle consumes lesser fuel while idlying than running. Am i correct? Has anyone have any thoughts?
You are right the engine will consume less fuel while idling than on load, but then, not an ML of the fuel consumed is translated into kms run. Hence, in the L/KM only the numerator increases, hence the value will increase, whatsoever.
Old 4th June 2011, 08:40   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
24.3l/ 100 kms. Logically - the value should go down since vehicle consumes lesser fuel while idlying than running. Am i correct? Has anyone have any thoughts?
The units set up is set to show no of litres required to run 100 kms. When your car is stationary you required more fuel and so the value increase from 6.9 to 24 in your other case. Change your units to KM/Litre and you can relate to the readings far easier.

Quote:
AC always takes "fresh air" & that seems to be the default setting
This topic has been discussed in this forum. If you hit the Auto button the car selects the default setting and the re-circulation mode as well as the fan speed is set automatically based on the temperature selected.

After you make manual settings do not hit the Auto button next time. Simply press the OFF button. The AC switches on with the last saved settings.

Last edited by VW2010 : 4th June 2011 at 08:45.
Old 4th June 2011, 10:18   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

@maheshramaling - I suggest you to please go through the owner's manual, this will not only answer some of your queries but will also tell you lot many things about your car.

The MID display when in Instant FE display mode switches over to Liters/Hour from Litres/Per 100kms when car becomes stationary or very slow. The FE in KPL drops at idle because KPL=Kilometers per liter, since you car is not moving but it's still consuming fuel, FE figure in KPL will increase. My 140hp CR TDi consumes 0.6-0.9 litres per hour at idle with AC on depending on Temperature selected on thremostat + no of electrical equipment working.

All VW group cars in the segment or one above here come with a slightly jerky clutch with also does stall the engine if it's in a gear too high, this is normal in Jetta, Laura, Superb, Yeti and Passat with both TDi and TSi engines.

I have answered all other queries in my previous post.

Last edited by .anshuman : 4th June 2011 at 10:21.
Old 4th June 2011, 10:22   #13
Team-BHP Support

The body is stamped with the VIN in the Czech Republic then shipped over here for assembly. Am sure BMW's will have the same time lag
Old 4th June 2011, 10:31   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post

hi i have completed more thaN 90K in my laura aka octavia in china
the clutch very light infact it more lighter than my previous car toyota yaris
may clutch hydraulic cylinder needed to check or may some air in it
Old 4th June 2011, 11:53   #15
BHPian

Just checked my Laura's VIN no. Manufactured in Czech republic in April 2011, assembled in Aurangabad. Vehicle reached bangalore on 3-May and I took delivery on 7-May. Dealer - TAFE.

Last edited by luky_13 : 4th June 2011 at 11:56.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks