Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2011, 10:54   #1

Maruti 800 AC Compressor issue

Hi fellow bhpians,

while driving from bangalore to chennai , my maruti 800's ac compressor belt broke off. I did not take notice of it and thought that the ac coolant had leaked and hence the ac was not working.
Finally after a year ( partly because of my laziness and the fact that the car was sitting pretty my college) i saw that the belt was broken and the ac gas and other parts were okay.

The car is now in noida and when i asked the MASS to put on a new ac belt, he told me that the compressor pulley is stuck and the entire compressor will need to be changed.

I have the following questions:
1)has then happened with anyone else ?
2) Should i get the compressor "repaired" in the open market or buy a new one ( MGA) ?
3) The pulley does has some rust on it but can the compressor get jammed in such a manner ?
Thanks in advance guys
Old 7th June 2011, 22:00   #2
BHPian

Re: Maruti 800 AC Compressor issue

Seems to be jamming due to prolonged non usage. Compressor overhaul is the answer to your problem, there is no need to change the compressor itself
Old 8th June 2011, 09:12   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFF-EIGHT-BEE View Post
Seems to be jamming due to prolonged non usage. Compressor overhaul is the answer to your problem, there is no need to change the compressor itself
Thanks bee, yes i inquired more into the issue with a mechanic at mass over the phone he said it could be a case of compressor jamming as you mentioned.

come saturday and i'll take my M800 to sector 16 noida to get the compressor opened and repaired of this jamming problem .

i was suggested SAI Kripa Enterprises in secot 16 noida . guys please do suggest some other places you have a good experience with .

thanks
Old 10th June 2011, 11:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

Try a "rust loosener" like WD40 at the hub/bearing of the pulley. For all you know the pulley rust may be jamming the bearing. 2000+ WD-40 Uses | Remove Paint, Rubber Adhesive, Rust Stains, & More
Old 21st November 2011, 16:56   #5

any decent ac repair shops in Pune ?
Old 22nd November 2011, 22:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

Please go through tbhp directory.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/other-...auto-pune.html
Old 27th January 2012, 18:04   #7

Thanks SirAlec.
A mechanic took a look at it and mentioned that the compressor is gone! - its jammed
so possible options :
1) Get a second hand read - salvaged from a accident/ discarded 800 - quoted -6K + incidentals
2) Get a new compressor - Quoted price - 12 K + AC gas + incidentals

Guys please do tell me your thoughts on whether its a good idea to get a second hand compressor. I plan to keep the car for sometime and with the summers approaching in 2 months (hopefully later) would like to get this done .

Thanks!
Old 27th January 2012, 19:18   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bama View Post
Thanks SirAlec.
A mechanic took a look at it and mentioned that the compressor is gone! - its jammed
so possible options :
1) Get a second hand read - salvaged from a accident/ discarded 800 - quoted -6K + incidentals
2) Get a new compressor - Quoted price - 12 K + AC gas + incidentals

Guys please do tell me your thoughts on whether its a good idea to get a second hand compressor. I plan to keep the car for sometime and with the summers approaching in 2 months (hopefully later) would like to get this done .

Thanks!
First of all find out whether the AC is R12 (older ones) or the new one. If it is the old one, you will have to change everything
- All pipes
- Condenser
- Air dryer
- Radiator
as the new gas operates at much higher pressure.

In case the AC uses new gas (I think it is R410), then changing the compressor is fine. I would suggest that even though they charge more, get the new compressor fitted by MASS, as you will have warranty.

Before you get the compressor changed, please get a leak test using high pressure air. Most of the cars develop leaks after a few years, which are not that evident, but result in gas leaking out within a year. Also get a written warranty including free gas charging if it leaks within a year.
Old 23rd April 2013, 20:51   #9

Re: Maruti 800 AC Compressor issue ( update )

got it checked by another ac mechanic - diagnosis
1) subros compRessor - good condition
2) electro magnetic clutch used for engaging the compressor was burnt out
3) ac gas refill / top up

total damages 0 + 7 K for clutch assembly ( incl labor) + 1.5 k for gas refill

the guys was good and knew his stuff. operates out of a ommni van which carries all requioement required for car ac repairing.
would recommed his services in pune. around kharadi

thanks all for your comments

the car and the ac is running fine however recently ( after ~1 yrs from repair) the ac is showing signs of gas leaks and wifey broke the vent selector switch and it blowing a air on the windscreen and front
will work on these 2 as well - at my slow pace

i know i was lazy in updating the forum
Old 3rd May 2013, 14:50   #10
BHPian

Does your car run on older gas (R12) or new gas (R140)?
Old 3rd May 2013, 15:08   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
will work on these 2 as well - at my slow pace
There is an important aspect to be followed religiously. Get the car inspected by a competent workshop periodically and/or when any defects crop up. This would help in identifying the defect and attending to it before the defect develops and leads to several other related problems. Needless to repeat here that a stitch in time saves nine.

Last edited by rajeev k : 3rd May 2013 at 15:13.
Old 25th October 2021, 03:38   #12
BANNED

Issues with a 2001 Maruti 800 AC, Euro II compliant

I am facing some issues with my Maruti 800. Recently I drove it in flooded areas, after which this started.

The A/C compressor is putting a huge load on the engine, and is making loud humming noises, when the A/C is turned on. So the engine almost stalls, and pickup is very low.

Another problem is, the car loses its speed when I press the clutch pedal, which is not normal. I lose speeds when I am upshifting, which is lugging the engine.

Also when the car is parked and is in 1st gear, if I try to push the car from behind, the car makes hissing sounds, like some amount of air is pumped out.

Previously, it worked like a charm. It has run only 70K miles, and the engine looks to be in excellent condition.
Old 25th October 2021, 10:58   #13
Senior - BHPian

Re: Issues with a 2001 Maruti 800 AC, Euro II compliant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrolhead_97 View Post
I am facing some issues with my Maruti 800. Recently I drove it in flooded areas, after which this started.

The A/C compressor is putting a huge load on the engine, and is making loud humming noises, when the A/C is turned on. So the engine almost stalls, and pickup is very low.

Another problem is, the car loses its speed when I press the clutch pedal, which is not normal. I lose speeds when I am upshifting, which is lugging the engine.

Also when the car is parked and is in 1st gear, if I try to push the car from behind, the car makes hissing sounds, like some amount of air is pumped out.

Previously, it worked like a charm. It has run only 70K miles, and the engine looks to be in excellent condition.
The AC clutch is electrically operated.

Most probably water ingress into the AC clutch housing may be shorting the wire, hence a lot of load on the electrical system. The clutch plates may be soaked with water and creating slippages.

Try disconnecting the AC compressor from the engine - take the belt out. If the car starts behaving normally then the problem is in the compressor. Get it dismantled, cleaned, lubricated and reassembled.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 21:21   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Try disconnecting the AC compressor from the engine - take the belt out. If the car starts behaving normally then the problem is in the compressor. Get it dismantled, cleaned, lubricated and reassembled.
Thanks for the reply mate. I will be visiting the MASS within a week, and I shall report them the same.

What might be the reason behind the hissing sound, when the car is parked in gear, and it is pushed from behind. Is this normal?

Also, when I am upshifting, I lose speed, and the car starts to vibrate, and almost stalls. The engine looks to be running on a single cylinder, and feels almost dead. What things might have messed up?

Last edited by aah78 : 25th October 2021 at 21:30. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 25th October 2021, 23:37   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrolhead_97 View Post
Thanks for the reply mate. I will be visiting the MASS within a week, and I shall report them the same.

What might be the reason behind the hissing sound, when the car is parked in gear, and it is pushed from behind. Is this normal?

Also, when I am upshifting, I lose speed, and the car starts to vibrate, and almost stalls. The engine looks to be running on a single cylinder, and feels almost dead. What things might have messed up?
I think your rear drum brakes are sticking and not releasing the brakes, please dismantle the rear brakes and clean it up.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks