Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2011, 10:45   #16
BHPian

Re: Baleno Steering/Suspension overhaul Cost

Dear Gurus,

My Baleno has done 76K mostly run in NCR on good roads, No rash driving. Around 8000 Kms back my rear tyres started getting worn from outside. As they were due for a change any way I let them run for sometime. I showed the car at a MASS and asked them to check the rear wheel alignment. They did not report any thing wrong or do anything. However I could actually see the rear tyres tilted slightly inside from the rear indicating excessive positive camber. Checked the suspension manually(pushing the car down etc). Appeared to be OK. No problems in ride quality either.

Finally took the car to Tyre Plaza in Lajpat Nagar and got the tyres changed(Potenza GIIIs). There the local mechanic adjusted the camber by changing the one of the bolts holding the wheel to the strut to sl lesser thickness and thus adjusting the camber (JUGAAD). He also said that MASS would have changed parts in suspension .

However I still feel that the suspension is giving me good ride quality, on pushing down by hand it dampens fast and does not wallow except that the car has noticeably sagged from rear.

Can somebody point out what could be the problem??

Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 11:19   #17
Senior - BHPian

For starters have you checked if the struts itself has bent ? I would start off by swapping the struts and narrowing down to the problem if it aint the strut. Is it possible that you post a pic of the car from the rear ?
Old 22nd August 2011, 11:41   #18
BHPian

Dear RJstyle

The car runs true, in straight line, never been on extremely bad roads or landed in bad pothole, and the sagging happened gradually. So I guess chances of struts being bent are remote, however I will check. The local mechanic has fixed the camber for now so the rear pic won't show anything abnormal. if u wish can post a side pic depicting the level, almost slight tail down stance of the car, where as a lesser used baleno's stance is nose down tail up.

Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 12:21   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADMAX111 View Post
... Around 8000 Kms back my rear tyres started getting worn from outside....
.... excessive positive camber. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADMAX111 View Post
... stance of the car due to sagging where as a lesser used Baleno has a slightly nose down tail up stance.
Hi Madmax,

In your case, I'm pretty sure the reason is worn out rear springs, and in some cases dampers too. As the rear of the car is sagging, these are the obvious reasons.

Also, a lowered stance, almost always means you will get positive camber. Most local mech do a Juggad method to correct alignment problems, but.. I strongly advise against it.

Replace your worn out springs and shocks, and ask the mechanic to revert back what he has done.
Old 22nd August 2011, 14:06   #20
BHPian

Thanks Dhanush. i will get this checked and come back. The Jugaad was required so that my new tyres dont start wearing out immediately. Plan to get a proper fix done.

in the mean time if any body has any other advice pl let me know.

Most Viewed