Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2011, 16:08   #1
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Suicide Mud-Flaps of the Ford Figo

Abstract: We bought our Figo in December 2010. Don't laugh when I say its the Petrol variant. A good car overall which gives you the quenched butt every time you go over a speed bump. I tried to investigate the problem as I thought it was only related to the by and large, largely built family of ours.

Methodology: In a span of 15 minutes. Drive by a market place close to my home. Spot Ford Figos and check if the Vehicle has 4 hale and hearty mud flaps on it. Click pictures for evidence.

Observations:

1. FR, No mud-flap alltogether.
Suicide Mud-Flaps of the Ford Figo-07072011004.jpg

2. FL missing
Suicide Mud-Flaps of the Ford Figo-07072011005.jpg

3. FR, a close shave
Suicide Mud-Flaps of the Ford Figo-07072011006.jpg

4. FR, A day old stubble
Suicide Mud-Flaps of the Ford Figo-07072011007.jpg

5. FL, Shaved. When did the bug hit the Rear mud flaps?
Suicide Mud-Flaps of the Ford Figo-07072011008.jpg

6. FL missing
Suicide Mud-Flaps of the Ford Figo-07072011009.jpg

7. Coming to our own car. FL missing.
Suicide Mud-Flaps of the Ford Figo-07072011011.jpg

Two other vehicles were spotted with visibly intact Mud-flaps.

Result: Out of 9 samples 7 were found to have damaged mud-flaps. There is a serious design issue which needs to be addressed. Is anyone at ford listening?

The first day itself, the flaps scraped onto those measly Black and Yellow Bolt-Down plastic speed bumps you find in parking lots in malls.

Future Scope: Checking if the mudflaps are broken but disguised. Something like this...

Suicide Mud-Flaps of the Ford Figo-07072011013.jpg

Suicide Mud-Flaps of the Ford Figo-07072011014.jpg

Some others:
  1. Front seat Sliding mechanism doesn't lock in properly. Whenever there is pressure applied onto the seat back above mid level eg. pulling out a wallet from your trouser pockets, the seat just slides back the maximum it can. This happens immediately after the adjustment is made for a short or tall driver. One setting if not fiddled with remaims fine for some time, until the day you decide to clean the carpets in your car.
  2. The front left suspension has started making this significant thud~dhuk sound when falling into a ditch or over a sharp speed breaker. It seems like the dampener in the shock absorber assembly is not working.

Has anyone else on the forum experienced the same issues with their Figos?

Solving the Quenched Butt Syndrome
I was thinking of getting the Coil spring adjusters fit on all four wheels (Like on GTOs Civic - he did it for the soft suspension (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...uspension.html)) which will give me some extra inch of ground clearance. Can some with the Modification already commissioned on their Figo comment on the results and regarding the change in ride and handling. I love the poise of the car as it is, but you have to compromise someday in the want of practicality.

Last edited by Tgo : 8th July 2011 at 16:28. Reason: added an incident
Old 8th July 2011, 16:20   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Suicide Mud-Flaps and some more - Ford Figo

The mud flaps are poorly designed. I have hit the mud flaps umpteen times. Hasn't broken so far.

It's just that the front flaps are oversized and really low.

Some dealers offer the option of plastic flexible mud flaps. These are cheaper and don't break. Once mine break that's what I'm going for.
Old 8th July 2011, 17:22   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Suicide Mud-Flaps of the Ford Figo

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Technical Forum section
Old 8th July 2011, 18:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

Same problem with our figo, both front flaps are broken.

There is news about a flexible rubber mud flaps but the dealers haven't got it yet.
Old 8th July 2011, 18:59   #5
Team-BHP Support

Oh, another Figo mud-flap story.

Do go thru' this thread before you replace the mud-flaps; seems there is some problem with the foam.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2336147
Old 8th July 2011, 20:29   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

True, the hard ones break. You could get something like this.

Suicide Mud-Flaps of the Ford Figo-1512.jpg

Pretty decent quality ones available aftermarket. Or IIRC, Ford too has similar ones?
Old 8th July 2011, 21:07   #7
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Some dealers offer the option of plastic flexible mud flaps. These are cheaper and don't break. Once mine break that's what I'm going for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
There is news about a flexible rubber mud flaps but the dealers haven't got it yet.
The thing is that, whatever is available with the dealers or not, it will be available in Jaipur when the whole world has moved onto something new. People are so casual about their cars here,
Kagu Mats - You don't get them
Cleaning Cloth - You don't get them
Detailing Equipment - You don't get them
Nice fitting Seat covers - You get those lacey thing instead of welcrow ones

When people come to terms with this sort of stuff.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...rs-jaipur.html

Which is evident from the increased VW cars on road, what can you expect from them. No demand=No Supply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Do go thru' this thread before you replace the mud-flaps; seems there is some problem with the foam.
You come across as someone who learnt a lot from The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. Great deduction. You should lend a hand in the Pajero Theft Story that has been doing the rounds for what... 5 years now?
Old 8th July 2011, 21:08   #8
Senior - BHPian

The problem of the flaps getting torn off may probably when reversing into uneven surface or on road kerbs wherein the long wheel base and the lesser height will enable the wheel to run over the flaps tearing it off.
Solution lies in mounting lesser length flaps.
Old 8th July 2011, 22:27   #9
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Solution lies in mounting lesser length flaps.
I recall someone with a 6month old Figo from Goa suggesting that you saw off the flaps to a strategic length before you install them. I would love to do it if the dealership gave me flaps off the shelf. You can't buy extra from them, you can only get new ones installed from the dealership.

I face this problem mere so because, even though its been some 8-10 months that the Figo was launched. You still don't get Figo specific seat covers. All you get are the one size fits all variety.

You can manage keeping your mud flaps safe for two months but after that you run out of patience, or people start showing you the finger every time you approach a speed breaker at 45 degree approach angle.
Old 9th July 2011, 00:35   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
I would love to do it if the dealership gave me flaps off the shelf. You can't buy extra from them, you can only get new ones installed from the dealership.
Can you not just remove the flaps, cut them to the correct length and fit them back on?
Old 9th July 2011, 01:07   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
True, the hard ones break. You could get something like this.

Wow! I want those even if they don't fit my car!! They look phoren. Are they really available in India?

-Ragul
Old 9th July 2011, 10:04   #12
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur View Post
Can you not just remove the flaps, cut them to the correct length and fit them back on?
I tried that some years ago on my bicycle and its an issue getting the mudflap back on with limited space to work on and tightening the screws properly. Just keeping away from that hassle.
Old 9th July 2011, 12:20   #13
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

I was looking forward to the other issues I mentioned apart from the Mud-Flaps. Has anyone encountered them with their Figo. Please share.

I haven't visited the service station for any of the issues yet, except for the seat sliding issue. They said they had done something but it re-occurred later on.
Old 9th July 2011, 13:21   #14
BANNED

why to even worry about the mudflaps. they look hideous and totally i mean totally destroy the look of the car. I know some people arent gonna agree with this but who cares.

On my cars all of them I dont have mudflaps. If they dealer even fitted them on new delivery I would remove them.

They look funny.
Old 9th July 2011, 14:18   #15
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by taranonline View Post
why to even worry about the mudflaps.

They help saving a lot of time scrubbing the sides of your car when cleaning after a shower. All the muck thrown up from the wheels settles on the sides and dries out. Becomes a back breaking task when you are doing the cleaning yourself.
Living in the desert state of Rajasthan, the muck is more or less sandblasting the paint in the affected area

They look funny.

Some, like i was noticing on a SX4 ZXI are very nicely integrated matching with the body color. They look decent.
--My comments are mentioned in Bold.

I also noticed that as long as the sand/muck/gravel is thrown around in the wheel well the sound of it seeping into the cabin is very less. Having no mud flaps just throws it onto the front doors and the rear quarter panels making it sound more severe than it actually might be.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks