Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2010, 19:22   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElantraGT View Post
Since this sound is starts only when the car is moving, its time to check your wheel bearing.
Thanks Hari; but you started a new confusion to me; I was assuming that the noise is appearing from my broken bumper, now you got me thinking
Old 7th April 2010, 20:35   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Let's not even compare an Elantra with a bare bones M800. There are many other places where Maruti's shoddiness is apparent but that's for another thread.
Hey buddy its not maruthi vehicles that has issues. I have a 2000 Carb Zen and it has clocked close to 50K and the timing belt is still going good. My Cousins 800 has done close to 70K in the past 6 years and yet the timing belt has not been changed. Thats why I was concerned if you were taken for a ride. In your case you dont have any other option .

Quote:
Ah, wheel bearing! I think that's the answer I was looking for. Is that an expensive fix? And yes, I get the squeaks on all kinds of roads and the roads are generally very good in the places where I drive.
This is not a expensive fix. The bearing should cost anywhere less than Rs. 350 per wheel and any mechanic will charge you close to 100 - 200. While you are getting the wheel bearing done, check for any brake oil leakage within the drum and if you notice a small leake change the cylinder seal. This should take care of your issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
I also have 2005 (April) Euro 3 model M800 (has clocked 62K). Recently I have noted that whenever I press brake pedal, I get *scraping* noise from my right front wheel. The scraping noise does not come everytime but after covering some distance, say 4 km. Few times the noise stopped after few kilometeres but usually it doesn't. Pls do note again that I get scraping noise ONLY when I press brake pedal. I noted oil/grease stains around the inner part of wheel. Till now Powai Auto (MASS) have done regular service of my car but since last nine months the car has hardly been driven. HiStOrY: In past I was doing about 50 kms per day but now I have hardly driven 300 kms in last nine months. I live in (Mumbai) northeren western suburbs and if anyone can advise some better MASS in this region (except SPECTRA & SAI) for service & repairs.
I can state two reasons as a probable casue for the sound. The fist is the obvious brake pads gone bad and the second is rusting on the brake drums. I arrived at the second reason based on the history and usage of your vehicle that you have stated. In either case a thorough check up of the pads and drums witha competant mechanic is advised. The rust will be removed as you drive and apply brakes and after prolonged use this will go away. If you are going to park your vehicle for longer time the rust will re-appear.

The oil /Grease stain might be caused due to faulty brake cylinder (the cylinder on each wheel) or the rubber seal that surrounds the cylinder. If the leak is very small just change the seal and if the leak is very noticable, check with the mechanic and ask him to clean the cylinder with petrol and fix it. If he states that the cylinder needs to be replaced, then replace it. Each cylinder should cost some where between 280 -350 only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Thanks Hari; but you started a new confusion to me; I was assuming that the noise is appearing from my broken bumper, now you got me thinking
Aargee, I am not an expert, but looking at the dame on your car, I dont think your bumper is creating any noise. Can you explain the noise that you hear Is it coming from the back of the car when driven on pot holes ? Try the following and it might sound stupid - try to bump your car up and down using your body weight, when it is parked and see if you are able to trace the source of the noise.
Old 7th April 2010, 20:59   #18
BHPian

Quote:
I am getting a squeaking noise from the front right side whenever the car is in motion. The noise comes randomly and it's constant at times and disappears for a while as well.
Do your car has a after-market "bull bar" type front bumper thing ?
If so has it been scrapping the bottom too many times ?

I has the same problem from the left front in our old 800. The troubleshooting and the fix were "funny".

I don't think its the bearing as a worn bearing sounds more like a "hum" than a squeak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
I get *scraping* noise from my right front wheel. The scraping noise does not come everytime but after covering some distance
It can be as simple as a stone stuck near the brake pad. Other possibility is brake a binding a little. Better get this checked out. It might not be a show stopped but its sure irritating.

Quote:
I can state two reasons as a probable casue for the sound. The fist is the obvious brake pads gone bad and the second is rusting on the brake drums.
As Hari said it can be a worn brake pad too, it not likely as pads are changed as "a set". If the brake pad is worn it does make this sound and that is something which is "in built" or so I've been told.

And Hri I hope you mean rusted disc as all Maruti's except Omni has discs up front.

Quote:
Hey buddy its not maruthi vehicles that has issues. I have a 2000 Carb Zen and it has clocked close to 50K and the timing belt is still going good. My Cousins 800 has done close to 70K in the past 6 years and yet the timing belt has not been changed.
You forgot my 95k Zen Hari.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Well, if the bolt nuts are loose (with my WagonR) I hear the squeaking noise, but only in the bad roads, otherwise quiet, this is what I intended to say.
Can you explain a lil more ?
From where exactly is the sound ? Might sound funny but dust accumulated in the shocks cause this sound too. A good water wash sometimes sorts this out. I kid you not.

Last edited by yzfrj : 7th April 2010 at 21:02.
Old 7th April 2010, 21:02   #19
Senior - BHPian

ElantraGT: I drive my car atleast twice a week (about 12 kms or so) & taking suburbs traffic, braking is the second habit. Thanks for lead, I'll get the cylinder & seals checked/replaced. I just hope the bearing is not the culprit.
Old 7th April 2010, 21:04   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Try the following and it might sound stupid - try to bump your car up and down using your body weight, when it is parked and see if you are able to trace the source of the noise.
100% no; I tried it even this evening when cleaning - no noise at all; its only when driving, so I'd assumed its from the bumper; besides I'm sure the clamps are loose.
Old 7th April 2010, 21:08   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
Do your car has a after-market "bull bar" type front bumper thing ?
If so has it been scrapping the bottom too many times ?

I has the same problem from the left front in our old 800. The troubleshooting and the fix were "funny".

I don't think its the bearing as a worn bearing sounds more like a "hum" than a squeak.
No, there is no aftermarket bullbar in the front.

I get a rapid succession of squeaks and then some silence and then a couple of squeaks followed by some silence and this sequence repeats randomly. Always while in motion.
Old 7th April 2010, 21:38   #22
Senior - BHPian

Check the bearings and the front suspension.Push down the car on the front right side and hear for any sounds though mostly will be unlikely.Jack up the front wheel after securing h-brake and put car in neutral.Turn the right wheel by hand and hear for sounds, if any would indicate busted wheel bearings.
Old 8th September 2010, 07:26   #23
BHPian

Dear All,
Our trusted Maruti 800, 1988 model has an issue. In the past 10 years the leaf spring broke 4 or 5 times. My dad drives it regularly. He does drive at a very good speed but this leaf spring breaking happens during normal drives only. Most of the time we have one additional leaf spring handy, but it is difficult to find a shop and to change during a long travel. Is this normal or something wrong somewhere? What could be a remedy for this and how much the cost if we do so? Please input your valuable information and ideas.

With thanks and regards
Old 9th September 2010, 14:24   #24
BHPian

Maruti 800 Leaf Spring issue.

Just checking the thread again for some replies. Can anybody help me in this regard??

With thanks and regards
Old 9th September 2010, 22:57   #25
Senior - BHPian

recurring breaking of your springs is unusual. Are you sure your dad go smoothly on those bumps.

This time when you decide to service the rear suspension setup do check the dampers and bushes.
Old 10th September 2010, 05:49   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
recurring breaking of your springs is unusual. Are you sure your dad go smoothly on those bumps.

This time when you decide to service the rear suspension setup do check the dampers and bushes.
Thanks for the valuable input, SirAlec. The car has run more than a lakh KM, by my dad. This problem started in the past 7-8 years. Before that it never happened. As I know he rides safely and smoothly on the bumps and potholes. So I think as you told, we have to check the dampers and bushes.

Have you ever experienced such leaf spring breaks in M800s? Or is it better to convert to Shock Absorber type (type 2)? We have another Type 2 M800, but we are more attached to this good old car.

With thanks and regards

Last edited by glomus123 : 10th September 2010 at 05:52.
Old 10th September 2010, 15:28   #27
Senior - BHPian

The leaf are quite reliable.

Changing it to springs is do-able but is complicated and you have to find a perfect mechanic to do the job or it will start eating tyre like crazy. As he need to fabricate and wield a piece for linkage at precise spot.
Old 11th September 2010, 05:40   #28
BHPian

Thanks SirAlec. So I dont want to do that modification. Instead I have asked to put new MPG Leafs ASAP for the both sides. Let us see what happens. By the way which is the best brand of LeafSprings I can get for M800? If any part no. or so will be very much helpful.

Thanks a lot!!!

Regards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks