Old 13th March 2012, 18:43   #91
BHPian

Re: Too many problems with my new Chevrolet Optra Magnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzinblut View Post
Fuel Pump (incl Taxes) = 22900
Total Labor (incl. Taxes) = 900
Total = 23800

They came in a breakdown van and replaced it at my home but quality of work was shoddy.

No discounts offered. Their main point was that the car is 4 years old. I wrote to them that this should have actually been rectified in a pro-active recall. But despite the strong mail, they dont seem to be bothered.
I agree with keyur.

I had the issue just about a week before my warranty was due to get over (luckily!!), and they did replace the pump without a glitch. Luckily for us, Chevy A$$ here is brilliant, and we have built up a good rapport by now.

I understand that your situation is tougher due to the 4 years issue, but I do think a bit more persistence could get you the replacement for free, i.e. you could get a refund for the amount already paid. It depends on how much 24k matters to you, and how ready you are to fight for your right.

All the best.
Old 14th March 2012, 11:54   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur View Post
If you can confirm that this was the part that was recalled, you should stake a definite claim on it.
Also, did you get the faulty part back (you should have)?

Click a few pics and post them here. A known faulty component has to be replaced free of cost, however old the vehicle may be.

Write a mail with this specific statement and post a few links regarding the KNOWN pump issue. Even if you have paid for it, you should get a refund or compensation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhaiyo View Post
I understand that your situation is tougher due to the 4 years issue, but I do think a bit more persistence could get you the replacement for free, i.e. you could get a refund for the amount already paid. It depends on how much 24k matters to you, and how ready you are to fight for your right.

All the best.
The pump was 2007 model and had a blue sticker. The new one had a yellow sticker. I dont konw if its a defective part. But I know that pumps in 2007/08 models with blue stickers had a high failure rate. Our forum has enough cases reported.

I think, irrespective of when the pump fails, GM should replace the part without the customer having to even escalate the issue. Heck, they should have done a pro-active recall in the first place. The part did not fail for bad fuel or low fuel levels. I am aware of the effect of this and never let the level drop low in any of my cars.

I had raised the issue to a very senior level giving them links to threads on Tbhp. However, their main points to deny the claim were
1) How can I claim that it was a faulty part based on some information I found on the internet on some open forum.
2) The car is more than 4 years old
3) The car has high mileage, so the pump has been used (this they claimed without knowing what the current mileage was)
4) I skipped a service

My stand was:
1) We are talking about teambhp. The posts are from optra owners who are equally concerned and of potential owners. This is the same forum that invited and cover all expenses for testing their cars. The forum talks sense only.
2) If its a part with high failure rate, GM should replace it at their cost, irrespective of warranty. A customer pays for all parts to be functional and reliable. You cant give him a defective part and take a chance based on warranty period.
3) The car has done 59K km only. This is not high mileage. My Esteem Diesel has done 3.25 lakh km and is still going strong on the factory pump. This is high mileage and this is reliablity!
4) I had done the service myself. The car was serviced but not at GM A$$. I also explained that skipping a service shouldnt matter as the fuel pump is not directly checked during the routine service. Also, there was no symptom before pump failure. It just failed one fine day.

I clearly stated that had it been any other part, I wouldn't have escalated the issue. But the failure history of the pump is a known fact.

However, they rejected my request twice.

Two of my cars broke down on the same day in a time span of 2 hours. After spending a week without a car, and my request being rejected twice, I went ahead with the replacement at my cost because I needed the car back on the road.

After having the pump replaced, the car was serviced. I then wrote a mail to Karl Slym explaining him the whole incident. I did not ask for reimbursement, but I told him what impact this has had on me and that like always, I will share my unbiased experience on teambhp. This was not to scare or extort them, but to inform them how I feel and that I have to alert other owners of this.

What happened after this was just too much:

I got a mail from GM Customer Care and it was in reply to the mail I sent to Karl Slym. They again explained why they rejected my request. Now their points were:

1) I skipped a service and I should not skip any.
2) They found out in the service that the car has aftermarket brake pads and I should not use them.

This just aggravated me. I dont understand how would they diagnose that the pump is due for failure? They dont even check tyre pressures correctly during a service.
About brake pads: How can aftermarket brake pads affect the pump. Heck, the pump should function even if my car has no brakes.

I have made it clear that this is my stand which will not change. GM had rejected my request twice based on grounds that I dont accept. I did not ask for goodwill, but told them in very strong words about what i feel

I dont know if they will reply back to me. But they know one thing for sure, that I am aware of the issue and that will be discussed on team-bhp with the most positive intentions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhaiyo View Post
I had the issue just about a week before my warranty was due to get over (luckily!!), and they did replace the pump without a glitch. Luckily for us, Chevy A$$ here is brilliant, and we have built up a good rapport by now.
Lucky that your pump failed in warranty. Saved a lot of your time I'd say. I think bhpian Rhodeo got his pump replaced after warranty expiry. But bhpian detuscheafrika had to pay for his replacement.

Quote:
Click a few pics and post them here. A known faulty component has to be replaced free of cost, however old the vehicle may be.
Also, if you don't have the pump, ask for it.
Also, if you don't mind, please send it to me. I will see if I can manage a repair of that - would be beneficial to all.
They replaced the pump at my house and were taking the failed part with them. I had to tell them to leave it with me.

Currenty the pump is at my factory in Gujarat. I took it there with the same intention of opening and seeing what exactly failed and if a part replacement is possible. But, due to change in schedule I dont think I will be going there before two months.

I know you as a DIY man and appreciate your interst. I can send the pump to you but it will take some time. Pictures, however, I will arrange for very soon.
benzinblut is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2012, 12:55   #93
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Optra Magnum Disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Gosh!

A very unpleasant experience Sreeji. Sorry to hear about the situation you face. GM has worked hard to improve their A$$ reputation. Hope they will do what is needed to make you happy as a customer.

It may be a good idea to look for emails of the top management and send them personalized emails narrating your experience. Very often the not-so-senior chaps don't have the authority to take biggish decisions to replace parts etc. And the senior ones get to know of it very late or not at all. Trying to talk to the top management (if it works out) should also help.

I have been in love with this car and have been hoping to own one. Now I may have to rethink a bit.

From what I gather, they would be concerned about getting bad publicity. Newspapers, especially.

Wishing you all the best in getting this sorted out.

PS: It is almost disgusting to read this, especially after how I have been asking almost anyone and everyone in this price bracket to TD an Optra.
Well, what Mr Nair has gone through is certainly unpleasant, but as a content owner of Optra Magnum for last 12 months, I can say its one-off case of Dealer's neglect added to sheer bad luck.
My Optra Magnum has clocked almost 15000 kms and I havent faced even a single problem in the car. In fact, my family is so impressed with the car and its drive that our other car (Honda City ivTec, AT) is reduced to secondary option, used only if Optra is not in garage.

An informed friend of mine told me - sometimes it may happen that certain dealerships where some particular cars do not move fast (e.g. unpopular color, particular model say Optra petrol high end version). This may also result from the misjudgment of Dealerships when ordering cars from the plant, and in an attempt to reduce delivery time. Often these cars are the culprits, as the dealers may not keep it in perfect conditions - I have seen their parking lots are often out in the open grounds, dusty, rain hit. So I am not surprised if certain parts catch rust within 5 - 10 days especially in the monsoon.

Some tips to avoid ending up with such faulty cars -
1. Sometimes dealer may try to lure you into a particular car, by promising a shorter / instant delivery. Chances are that this car is lying in the open backyard, rusting and / or dusting.

2. Going for fast selling colors also helps. Odd / less popular colors may make you feel unique, but if you get such car at a shorter delivery period - somethings fishy. May be another customer ordered one and cancelled the delivery, and its lying in Dealer's backyard for some time.

3. Check the manufacturing date of your car; any car manufactured more than 2 -3 months before, is susceptible to such flaws. Especially if the car is a fast moving model (Optra may not be as fast selling as other models in this range, but avg 350 per month is not so low that would have Chevy let its cars rotting)

4. Finally, PDI is most important - if you see any rusted part, demand replacement of the part or threaten to cancel delivery. It may be the toughest part to defer the delivery of your dream when you stand so close to it, but its necessary.
Old 14th March 2012, 23:38   #94
BHPian

Quote:

Now their points were:

1) I skipped a service and I should not skip any.
This is the only point that may go against you as it is written in the warranty terms.

2) They found out in the service that the car has aftermarket brake pads and I should not use them.
About brake pads: How can aftermarket brake pads affect the pump. Heck, the pump should function even if my car has no brakes.

This is total bullshit. You should take this very point and ask them to prove how the brake pads affect warranty of the pump - they could have said the same for callipers or disk - but definitely not for the pump.

I know you as a DIY man and appreciate your interst. I can send the pump to you but it will take some time. Pictures, however, I will arrange for very soon.

No issues. Take your time. But would love to see if it can be repaired!
I am more than ready to help you in this fight if you can get me involved somehow in the mail trail.
keyur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2012, 13:07   #95
BHPian

Yes, service being skipped is the only point that goes against me. But, if you see logically, even that shouldn't have an impact on the pump performance/diagnosis. My stand is that I am asking GM to change a part that has a history of high failure rate. I have also told them that they should have actually done a recall rather than wait to change all pumps that come in during warranty period.

Quote:
I am more than ready to help you in this fight if you can get me involved somehow in the mail trail.
Thank you very much. Due to scarcity of time and many commitments in the next two months, I had sent them something like a closing mail where I told them how I feel. No response received so far. But, it deserves a stronger reaction from the owners I feel.

I shall send you a PM and we can plan how to go about it.

Thank you very much!
Old 7th May 2012, 12:43   #96
BHPian

There is an observation I made after the new fuel pump was fit:

The fuel pump runs as I turn the key to ignition position (with engine off). However, it does not stop running (after the initial few seconds) and continues to run as long as the key is in ignition position (with engine off). I can hear it running.

I reported this to the service centre and was told verbally that this is normal. Can other Magnum Owners please check and post their observations.
Old 7th May 2012, 12:54   #97
BHPian

Quote:

The fuel pump runs as I turn the key to ignition position (with engine off). However, it does not stop running (after the initial few seconds) and continues to run as long as the key is in ignition position (with engine off). I can hear it running.

I reported this to the service centre and was told verbally that this is normal. Can other Magnum Owners please check and post their observations.
Yes this happens in my Optra also. Mine in Dec - 2010 and clocked 20k till now.
aditya@pune is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 10:00   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya@pune View Post
Yes this happens in my Optra also. Mine in Dec - 2010 and clocked 20k till now.
Thanks. I was actually wondering about this because in my Ritz (petrol) I can clearly hear the pump go off once after about 3-4 seconds. So, didn't want to take any chances with the new optra pump.
Old 11th May 2012, 15:50   #99
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Thanks. I was actually wondering about this because in my Ritz (petrol) I can clearly hear the pump go off once after about 3-4 seconds. So, didn't want to take any chances with the new optra pump.
My Optra's pump too starts up on ignition on and stays on - though I need to check the duration - I thought that the pump would get switched off once the rail pressure is maintained.
Old 3rd November 2012, 14:07   #100

My advise for you guys is that think twice or as many times as possible before buying optra magnum. It's a horrible car in the long run. I can testify that, as I am having bitter experiences with my optra magnum now, after 5 years of ownership.
sibu is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 9th October 2015, 13:59   #101
BHPian

Hello Guys,

My Optra Magnum turns 4 next month, done only 40k as my main ride was the Mahindra Thar for a good time period. A peculiar problem has now crept up in the magnum, the speedometer needle keeps jumping to as high as 220 KMPH even when the vehicle is stationary and engine is on. Tried replacing the speed sensor however that didn't work. The speedometer technician, without checking the meter said nothing wrong with the speedometer as its digital hence the only other root cause could be the "Burm" or bearing within the differential. Got that checked at the Orix garage in Gurgaon and they said the issue is definitely not with the Burm or speed sensor but its the speedometer, which has to be replaced...and the new one costs Rs 15 k !!!
Have any of you had such an issue with the magnum? Request suggestions for error rectification and references for a good speedometer mechanic in Gurgaon, if possible.
Old 4th August 2016, 22:22   #102
BHPian

2012 Optra Magnum Fuel Pump light

Hi All,

It started yesterday evening with the car not coming to life with the first cranking, it started at the third attempt after i removed the fuel lid thinking it could be an air lock issue as the the car was not run for 3 weeks.
Today morning once the car started the 'fuel Pump' icon stayed lit up on the dash board. I switched off the car and tried again, same thing., so decided not to not to drive it.

What could be the issue here? The car has run 40,000 kms till date and serviced as per the prescribed intervals. Could it be a clogged filter in the pump? Or is it end of life cycle for the pump already?
Old 5th August 2016, 10:22   #103
BHPian

Re: 2012 Optra Magnum Fuel Pump light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akkiben View Post
Hi All,
What could be the issue here? The car has run 40,000 kms till date and serviced as per the prescribed intervals. Could it be a clogged filter in the pump? Or is it end of life cycle for the pump already?
It can be pump gone, or it can even be even fuel pump relay gone, or it can be fuel pump fuse burn't (I assume it is available in Magnum). Is it priming? Meaning when you switch one car(but not crank), do you hear fuel pump getting on and sound of fuel flowing (wizzz...)?

If it is related to electric (like relay or Fuse) its is easy to fix. Check relay and fuse first before getting it towed.
Old 5th August 2016, 10:35   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

If the car is telling you that it senses an issue with the fuel pump, you should get the fuel pump checked, shouldnt you?
based on the kms run, it shouldnt be at end of life, but who can really tell with mechanical bits, yeah. Get it checked up at an FNG if you have one. GM, in all probability, will not diagnose a fault, and suggest a replacement.
Old 5th August 2016, 10:46   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
It can be pump gone, or it can even be even fuel pump relay gone, or it can be fuel pump fuse burn't (I assume it is available in Magnum). Is it priming? Meaning when you switch one car(but not crank), do you hear fuel pump getting on and sound of fuel flowing (wizzz...)?

If it is related to electric (like relay or Fuse) its is easy to fix. Check relay and fuse first before getting it towed.
Hi Raghu, the fuel pump is priming, forgot to mention that. The car is running fine as well, just that the starting is taking a longer cranking time than usual and the fuel pump malfunction light is on once the car starts, normally this indication turns off once the engine starts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks