Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2011, 17:54   #1
BANNED

Removing Cement Spots

There are some dried cement spots on the windscreen.
Is there a way out to remove the cement spots without damaging / scratching the wind screen.
YVES is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2011, 00:31   #2
BHPian

Re: cement spots on windscreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by YVES View Post
There are some dried cement spots on the windscreen.
Is there a way out to remove the cement spots without damaging / scratching the wind screen.
Spray generously with a limescale remover such as CLR ( Clothing, Toys, Electronics, Jewelry, Jaclyn Smith - Kmart.com )
or similar and let stand overnight, respraying if thick spots are present. Then gently pry with a sharp blade along the edges when softened, taking care not to scratch the glass.
VCheng is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2011, 00:40   #3
BHPian

I also get these on my windscreen sometimes. I put a soapy liquid solution on the windscreen and let it sit for a few hours. After that, I take a knife, and very carefully remove the spots while taking care not to scratch the glass. You can try putting colin.
carfreak77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2011, 01:53   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Try using tooth paste. The abrasive, white ones. Like Colgate.
Old 26th July 2011, 18:25   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Removing Cement Spots

Try mixing vinegar & water (50:50), apply generously and wait for a couple of minutes. It should become soft enough for you to scrape off easily.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th July 2011, 21:41   #6
BHPian

My windscreen shows some stains like rainbow coloration etc. This may be due to HARD water( some times bore well, also being allapuzha,kerala near sea coast) used. Polishing the windscreen has not helped me. Pls advise to remove such stains and avoid such stains in future.

To mods : pls remove the entry from this post, if it is not in proper place
Old 27th July 2011, 05:49   #7
Senior - BHPian

This has happened to be earlier esp with Hard water. The water sprinklers in my office sometimes arent aligned to the ground and spray water on the cars parked nearby. Once i guess it was hard water and had possibly had high chemical or mineral content and it left spots on my windshield. Which refused to go by cleaning, washing used all kinds of detergents, soaps etc. Finally someone told me there is a "Bang" especially for hard water spots and i searched and bought it. One single application of it removed everything without a fuss. Windshield was clear and clean again.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2012, 12:09   #8
BHPian

I got some cement stains on my car bonnet and side panels.while washing and scraping it off some scratches came on the paint.The service centre is recommending a 3M teflon treatment to take care of it -remove the cement and take care of the scratches .Will it work?
Old 4th November 2013, 18:16   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergus View Post
I got some cement stains on my car bonnet and side panels.while washing and scraping it off some scratches came on the paint.The service centre is recommending a 3M teflon treatment to take care of it -remove the cement and take care of the scratches .Will it work?
Hi, how did you finally get it removed ?

I am in a similar situation now and not sure if I should try the D-I-Y vinegar+water mix treatment or a more expensive 3M treatment. Waiting for your inputs (did 3M do the job and how much was the damage ?)
Old 9th December 2013, 14:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

Ok, a really, really annoying neighbour next door recently had her house rebuilt. Though they had a sheet covering the house where I stay, a few sprays of concrete mix fell on my bikes. Thoroughly pissed off, I wanted to chew off the neighbour's head but she escaped that day.

I've got quite a few spots on the RHS of the bike. When I scratch with a fingernail, it does come off. But I have a feeling this will scratch the paint underneath. Checking on the world wide web, I see that one of the best solutions is use 1:1 vinegar:water and spray on and soak, remove with a paper towel. I'll probably try this tomorrow morning - thankfully the spots are small. But numerous

Will keep you guys posted. But also, any other solutions?
Old 9th December 2013, 15:28   #11
BHPian

As GTO suggested, vinegar diluted 1:1 with water will help loosen cement spots. Simply soak it for about a minute and rinse with ample water. Repeat if necessary. Do not let it dwell for more than minute. Vinegar is acidic and may soften your paint. You may want to avoid wiping with a cloth as it may mar the surface if you are not careful. Use a good quality microfiber towel, if possible, to wipe.

Cement may not cause much of a headache on glass surfaces. However, on painted surface they may leave behind etchings that are sometimes visible to naked eye and/or can be felt by gently rubbing your fingers over. To level these, you may need to machine buff. This is were the folks seize the opportunity to sell you the non-existent Teflon coating.

The Teflon coating on automotive paint is a big scam. Teflon do not bond over painted surface. It bonds (actually sticks) to a bare metal but the process should be performed at about 650-700 Fahrenheit. Moreover Teflon imparts only a dull look.

If your service provider claims they use Teflon coating, insist them to show you the product and check for yourself if what they claim is true. I've also seen 'Tufflon' polishing someone is offering where I live. Whatever they call, it is just their machine polishing and waxing service.
kpkeerthi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2013, 20:17   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpkeerthi View Post
As GTO suggested, vinegar diluted 1:1 with water will help loosen cement spots. Simply soak it for about a minute and rinse with ample water. Repeat if necessary. Do not let it dwell for more than minute. Vinegar is acidic and may soften your paint. You may want to avoid wiping with a cloth as it may mar the surface if you are not careful. Use a good quality microfiber towel, if possible, to wipe.
Yes, worked great! I simply sprayed over the spots, left for a minute and wiped off. Didn't see any difference to the paint and I like to think that it has done no harm.

Washed the area with water and then waxed. Looks great. Thanks!!
Old 9th July 2014, 17:44   #13
BHPian

My car got a splash of cement on the windscreen recently from a construction site. I tried the vinegar/water mix. However, it wasnt as easy to remove as I expected it to be. By the end of it, I ended up the entire vinegar bottle. I had tried waiting for a minute, less than a minute, more than a minute with the same result. The cement patch undoubtedly loosened as I was able to remove it but I needed quite a bit of brute force. Dont think I would have done a good job if it was on paint.
Old 9th July 2014, 18:11   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelchak View Post
My car got a splash of cement on the windscreen recently from a construction site. ....The cement patch undoubtedly loosened as I was able to remove it but I needed quite a bit of brute force. Dont think I would have done a good job if it was on paint.
True. Brute force is the only way to remove cement.
If on the paint, and dry - try wetting it and then removing it gently with your finger nails. It's probably the only way to remove it without permanently scratching your car.
Old 9th July 2014, 18:50   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelchak View Post
My car got a splash of cement on the windscreen recently from a construction site. I tried the vinegar/water mix. However, it wasnt as easy to remove as I expected it to be. By the end of it, I ended up the entire vinegar bottle. I had tried waiting for a minute, less than a minute, more than a minute with the same result. The cement patch undoubtedly loosened as I was able to remove it but I needed quite a bit of brute force. Dont think I would have done a good job if it was on paint.
Na, it isn't easy. But you are lucky it was on the windshield. On my bikes, it was innumerable small spots all over the body.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks