Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2014, 13:40   #16
BHPian

Re: Accent-Power Steering issue

Hi Guys,

I own a 2004 Hyundai Accent , Petrol. Offlate , the steering has become a bit hard. My local guy says could be a steering rack or a power steering pump issue. The fluid is topped up. However , with the cap removed , when turning the wheel end to end , one can seeing , kind of gurgling of the fluid inside the reservoir. In addition, there is a small screech cum whining sound which emanates when the wheel is turned end to end ( not audible in the cabin though). The new pump costs 15K , which I am reluctant to spend , since the car is worth probably just about 5 times that amount.

Post research on the internet , I have got to know that , pump repair kits are available , which include seals ( no leaks on my pump ) and the vanes.

Does anyone know , where in Delhi I can get these kits ? Else where in Delhi can I get the pump repaired. Also has anyone else had an experience with repaired pumps.

regards
Old 30th October 2014, 16:54   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthvader5000 View Post
Hi Guys,

I own a 2004 Hyundai Accent , Petrol. Offlate , the steering has become a bit hard. My local guy says could be a steering rack or a power steering pump issue. The fluid is topped up. However , with the cap removed , when turning the wheel end to end , one can seeing , kind of gurgling of the fluid inside the reservoir. In addition, there is a small screech cum whining sound which emanates when the wheel is turned end to end ( not audible in the cabin though). The new pump costs 15K , which I am reluctant to spend , since the car is worth probably just about 5 times that amount.

Post research on the internet , I have got to know that , pump repair kits are available , which include seals ( no leaks on my pump ) and the vanes.

Does anyone know , where in Delhi I can get these kits ? Else where in Delhi can I get the pump repaired. Also has anyone else had an experience with repaired pumps.

regards
From what you describe it's likely a pump failure. I would suggest you to go for a pre-owned replacement unit at Mayapuri or Jama Masjid.

Last edited by joybhowmik : 30th October 2014 at 16:59.
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2014, 19:37   #18
BHPian

Visited a Hyundai SS at Safdurjung today. Helpful guy. The assistant turned the wheel while the head mechanic and self observed the pump. Turns out that when the steering is turned hard enough , the belt was visibly slipping. The gurgling sound of the oil in the reservoir , the head mechanic said was normal.

Belt tightened. Steering much smoother now , though its still not centering on its own. No screeching / whining sound though.

Post test ride , the head mechanic says , wheel still a bit hard and not self centering , the likely issue is jammed shocker bolt. Alignment is all good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
From what you describe it's likely a pump failure. I would suggest you to go for a pre-owned replacement unit at Mayapuri or Jama Masjid.
Old 30th October 2014, 19:45   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
though its still not centering on its own. No screeching / whining sound though.

Post test ride , the head mechanic says , wheel still a bit hard and not self centering , the likely issue is jammed shocker bolt. Alignment is all good.
Good news that it's not the more expensive PS pump.

I would suggest you to have the following checked out
1) Shocker bearings
2) suspension bolt (i think you meant that)

You can go for a gabriel shock kit (Rs 700/-)

After fixing these would advise you to go for alignment, as the tie-rod ends are usually manipulated.

I got similar work done at an FNG recently.
Old 3rd November 2014, 13:55   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post

After fixing these would advise you to go for alignment, as the tie-rod ends are usually manipulated.
Computerised wheel alignment v/s the good old mechanical one . The SS at Safdurjung does wheel alignment for a lot of high end cars using his simple mechanical system which he claims is far more accurate than the computerised ones. His proof he says is the cars which come to him.

Does any one have views on mechanical alignment viz a viz the computerised machines ?
Old 3rd November 2014, 15:29   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Computerised wheel alignment v/s the good old mechanical one . The SS at Safdurjung does wheel alignment for a lot of high end cars using his simple mechanical system which he claims is far more accurate than the computerised ones. His proof he says is the cars which come to him.

Does any one have views on mechanical alignment viz a viz the computerised machines ?
The proof of the pudding lies in the eating. Computer or Manual - both can be wrong or right. It depends on how skilled the mechanic is and whether he is paying attention to the job.
Why don't you ask a couple of customers what their feedback is?

Also, if East of Kailash is not too much of a drive, there's an excellent guy at the IOCL bunk on Kalka Devi Marg -landmark LSR college, geo tagged here.

Last edited by joybhowmik : 3rd November 2014 at 15:31.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks