Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2011, 21:49   #16
BHPian

Re: Reducing car weight !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
Do we really need this thread, I think reducing the car weight is one of the possible methods of making a car go faster;hence, discussion on the following thread would add more value.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ding-much.html
Well its more to do with the vehicle in question. Safari.
Its power to weight ratio and its dynamics. Its whether some weight reduction, some lowering of CG, some suspension modification, change in wheels can bring about substantial positive change to the the safari.
My title seems to be inapt.
And my basic issue is not speed ata all. I am perfectly happy with the speed i manage. Effeciancy yes , better dynamics yes.
Old 16th August 2011, 23:23   #17
BHPian

Re: Making my Tata Safari lighter!

Removing all this stuff wont make a difference of couple of hundred kgs. You may consider cutting off the marked section by an expert person. It is worth only if You are modifying the Safari, and if the job is going to look hot. Let me warn you that if you get this job done by a wrong person, you may ruin the Safari.
Attached Thumbnails
Making my Tata Safari lighter!-1381661_2.jpg  

Old 16th August 2011, 23:54   #18
Senior - BHPian

If you are really serious then things like claddings , airbox , lining etc do not matter at all they are plastic and negligible.

Try following

1. Alloys , Safari RIMs seem to be around 20KG each so my estimate you will gain around 60KG ( assuming alloys to be 8KG)

2. Get a carbon fiber bonnet hood , For trial just unmounted the stock steel hood and check weight should give you another 30-40 KG but dont know about costs.

4. Remove jump seats and may be 10KG.

So in all you will get around 80-100KG but I don't think it is worth as 3-4 people in a Safari do not make any difference.

If your aim is just a lean mean machine for offroading remove all 5 doors and replace with jeep like Canvas. Will give you another 150-200 KG advantage and lots of dust.
amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2011, 13:49   #19
BHPian

Can you post a pic of the front facing 3rd row seat that you are planning? I think someone else here tried to install bench seats in 3rd row (posted few pics as well) and then i lost that thread, not sure what happened in the end.
Old 19th August 2011, 23:30   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
Can you post a pic of the front facing 3rd row seat that you are planning? I think someone else here tried to install bench seats in 3rd row (posted few pics as well) and then i lost that thread, not sure what happened in the end.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2252762

Its a simple contraption. Bolted to the floor, can be easily removed. Its a third row type of seat , which comes in the jump seats of tavera / sumo. Only modified for the backrest to fall down rather than the seat to be lifted up. You can access from the rear hatch itself . And can sit 2 mid size folks. My wife 5'5" can sit without touching the roof. Leg space is also ok. My kid loves the seat.
Its quite light unfortunately and removing doesnt lighten the vehicle by much.
Cost me Rs. 1700/ or so. Dont remember exactly though.
HIGHNOON is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2011, 23:49   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
If you are really serious then things like claddings , airbox , lining etc do not matter at all they are plastic and negligible. the air filter cylinder is old school.( mahindra armada / bolero/ tata 407 ). its metal and quite heavy.

Try following

1. Alloys , Safari RIMs seem to be around 20KG each so my estimate you will gain around 60KG ( assuming alloys to be 8KG) -- i didnt know they are 20 kg each. that too much. Thats the best viable option to drop weight then.

2. Get a carbon fiber bonnet hood , For trial just unmounted the stock steel hood and check weight should give you another 30-40 KG but dont know about costs. -- i 'll check this out.

4. Remove jump seats and may be 10KG. - done about 18 kg. altogether.

So in all you will get around 80-100KG but I don't think it is worth as 3-4 people in a Safari do not make any difference.

If your aim is just a lean mean machine for offroading remove all 5 doors and replace with jeep like Canvas. Will give you another 150-200 KG advantage and lots of dust.
Thanks for your input.
But important queries
1) can the safari made to sit low without any suspension modification ?
2) can it be fitted with lower profile rubber on alloys? will they last ?
3) can some amount of metal be removed from floor ? to be replaced with perforated M.S. plates / aluminium checkered sheets ?
4) Can the door cladding be removed and simple power window sets be used on lightweight foam leather finished panels ?
And i am repeating myself - i am not looking for any offroading/ any perfomance boost / racing ( & tcic safari at that )
I am simply trying to make the whole thing lighter , more fuel effecient . If some BHP is gained in the process good.
But again as i mentioned before , the old gen tata engines are sluggish but somehow the vehicles run better fully loaded.
It so happens that i own a safari not 'the' safari.For me the seating is outstanding. Nothing comes close to it for me with my height and my bad back. Space is great for my family.
Otherwise i do not look at safari in the manner that most view it. I do not use it as an SUV. I wont be offended if someone is to call it Muv http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
i feel as a design it is more aerodynamic than say something like scorpio which is quite slab sided boxy. If the safari was to sit lower somehow , it'll be a quite a vehicle. ( from my layman's perspective ) Its got the quality ride already . It 'll only be better so i feel.

Last edited by HIGHNOON : 19th August 2011 at 23:53.
Old 20th August 2011, 00:42   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
1) can the safari made to sit low without any suspension modification ?
2) can it be fitted with lower profile rubber on alloys? will they last ?
3) can some amount of metal be removed from floor ? to be replaced with perforated M.S. plates / aluminium checkered sheets ?
4) Can the door cladding be removed and simple power window sets be used on lightweight foam leather finished panels ?
According to me, the answers to your queries are:
1) Suspension modification or replacement will be required to make it sit low. Other option is installing wheels with smaller diameter which wont look good.
2) Lower profile tyres can be fitted. Ride quality will be affected and you wiil have to be more careful.
3)No point replacing the floor. You will gain nothing.
4)Yes, door clading can be minimised but power window mechanism is simple enough and should not be downgraded.
Old 20th August 2011, 21:32   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas Ingle View Post
According to me, the answers to your queries are:
1) Suspension modification or replacement will be required to make it sit low. Other option is installing wheels with smaller diameter which wont look good.
2) Lower profile tyres can be fitted. Ride quality will be affected and you wiil have to be more careful.
3)No point replacing the floor. You will gain nothing.
4)Yes, door clading can be minimised but power window mechanism is simple enough and should not be downgraded.
1) Smaller wheels in larger tyre well doesnt look good ,but tata is known to undertire anyway. I am ok with not good looks but not with low tyre life.
2) lower profile wider tires improve ride and not otherwise IMO.
3) floor is made up of thick M.S. sheet metal which is heavy. Idea is to lose , not to gain anyway.
4) power window mechanism is almost 7 yrs old and prone to niggles. A good brand replacement with simpler 2 + 2 setup is ok for me.

I am yet to get any technical feedback from the forum about lowering the CG .
Maybe I should do as GTO suggested. Upgrade to a 2.2 Safari. But then again not only i lose the low tech fix anywhere , cheap maintenance advantage of TCIC safari and secondly why look for another safari in the first place?
Maybe i should maintain the "status quo".
Old 20th August 2011, 21:34   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas Ingle View Post
Removing all this stuff wont make a difference of couple of hundred kgs. You may consider cutting off the marked section by an expert person. It is worth only if You are modifying the Safari, and if the job is going to look hot. Let me warn you that if you get this job done by a wrong person, you may ruin the Safari.
Hi Tejas,
I want to lose weight of the safari , not to lose capacity
Old 21st August 2011, 13:51   #25
Senior - BHPian

The major weights are
1. Chassis
2. Body, including seats and wheels.
3. Engine

Of the three you can decrease the weight of the body only, and that too by replacing it with a Fiber Glass one, with performance low weight seats and performance alloys. That is one big and expensive job. If I had to do it, I would do that on a 4x4 2.2 Dicor, and not on 2.0 TCIC.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2011, 21:31   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
The major weights are
1. Chassis
2. Body, including seats and wheels.
3. Engine

Of the three you can decrease the weight of the body only, and that too by replacing it with a Fiber Glass one, with performance low weight seats and performance alloys. That is one big and expensive job. If I had to do it, I would do that on a 4x4 2.2 Dicor, and not on 2.0 TCIC.
I wouldnt want to upgrade to another safari. It would be plagued by the same problems and in that case more expensive to fix because of the higher cost of spares , sensors etc.....The TCIC was a reliable engine , i am not particularly sure of the 2.2 setup. Its nice smooth and punchy but too many cars under 20000km have come to Tata after the timing belt failures. After warranty it'll be a car very expensive to repair ,I suspect.
I guess i'll have to maaf the idea.
Either stick with what i have till it runs to the ground or buy one of the new lineup of MUV's to launch by the year end.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks