Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2011, 18:48   #16
BHPian

Re: VW Polo 1.6: Water filling up in boot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam003 View Post
Hope the issue resolved for you. I had bad time too with water coming on left side front seat carpet on rainy day. But unfortunately not on all rainy days. I did took to service station they tried all means to see from where the water is coming, but hard luck. At home too I tried pouring water from front windshield, left door etc etc, but nothing works out. Finally time comes and I sold it
Had the same problem with my 2002 Zen. I had a minor accident resulting in some chassis damage on the front left side. In fact the front left suspension tower was slightly dented. Due to this, some part of the chassis had to be replaced, all repair work was done at an authorized Maruti service center of course but the leakage problem started occurring ever since and was never rectified. Finally sold the zen in may this year (after the leakage had dried up of course ) and brought home the Polo. Really disheartening to see the same problem crop up again. Hope it gets solved!
Old 6th September 2011, 00:03   #17
BHPian

Ok since its in the spare wheel well, i can think of one explanation, though i don't know if it stands correct for your car as mine is a swift.

You see most hatchbacks have a vent in the rear to let the pressurized air which collects on shutting the hatch door to escape. On the swift its on the left side bottom and its really not visible, I only found out about it, cause there was water coming in my boot and on close inspection I figured the wet drips coming from that corner and took it to the service station. its only when they removed the rear bumper could they access it for replacing the same. Though i felt that there was no need to remove the bumper as it was removed and fitted back from within the boot.

Put it under a pressure wash after that and voila no water. Do check if the same principle applies to the polo. though yours is very new for it to happen!!!
Old 6th September 2011, 12:48   #18
BHPian

Ok, so VW service was not able to find out the source of the leak either. The SA told me he has applied silicon to all the suspected parts after taking off the bumper, so will have to wait, watch and hope.
Old 6th September 2011, 16:41   #19
BHPian

Lets hope that fixes it, the maruti A.S.S said the same thing when i had handed them the swift for a day, they said they had re aligned the hatch door and filled sealant below the bumper, but i swear i could have had a couple of pet goldfish swimming in the water under the spare wheel. It took another day with me standing there while they took off my bumper and finding the leak to be from that vent and then replacing the same with a new one.
Old 6th September 2011, 17:31   #20
BHPian

Try this: It works everytime (atleast twice for me on 2 different cars). Take everything out of your boot and wipe it dry. Then take a glass of water and run it down the rain water channel so that the water gush hits the taillamps. In most cases the rubber sealing the taillamp against the body is not fixed properly and it lets the water seep in.

I had the same problem in my Optra and my denter actually showed it to me. The solution: open the taillamp, fix the rubber beads properly and test again. Worked like a charm.

I had 2 sleepless days trying to find the leak on my own. I spent hours under the car and over it trying to find a fault with the bodylines.
prateekpsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2011, 17:52   #21
Team-BHP Support

Could it be from near the boot hinges? There is a wire for the rear stop lamp on the top in most hatches; probably water is trickling in from there. Is there any damage to the rubber beading?
Old 6th September 2011, 18:05   #22
BHPian

Sorry to hear about you're situation Frankazoid. I too use a 1.6 (3 months now).
Each time I use the rear wiper & washer, I've always noticed a streak of water flow down on the inner portion of the rear glass.
Old 7th September 2011, 15:54   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblackshark View Post
Ok since its in the spare wheel well, i can think of one explanation, though i don't know if it stands correct for your car as mine is a swift.

You see most hatchbacks have a vent in the rear to let the pressurized air which collects on shutting the hatch door to escape. On the swift its on the left side bottom and its really not visible, I only found out about it, cause there was water coming in my boot and on close inspection I figured the wet drips coming from that corner and took it to the service station. its only when they removed the rear bumper could they access it for replacing the same. Though i felt that there was no need to remove the bumper as it was removed and fitted back from within the boot.

Put it under a pressure wash after that and voila no water. Do check if the same principle applies to the polo. though yours is very new for it to happen!!!
Hey, did not know about that! In the polo its on the right hand side just below the loading lip. Was wondering what was the function of that vent. Now i know, thanks to you. And no, that's not the source of the leak but good to know anyways.
Meanwhile 24 hrs have passed and the area is still dry so hope that's that. Fingers firmly crossed.

Last edited by Jaggu : 7th September 2011 at 16:22. Reason: You can edit the posts once approved. Thanks
Frankazoid!!! is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2011, 22:40   #24
BHPian

Hey Frankazoid, how r u and your Polo?

Good to hear that your boot leakage issue is resolved now.

Where in Thane do you go for service? If its Global Gallerie, how is your experience with their service?
Old 11th September 2011, 18:15   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
Hey Frankazoid, how r u and your Polo?

Good to hear that your boot leakage issue is resolved now.

Where in Thane do you go for service? If its Global Gallerie, how is your experience with their service?
I would say overall experience with Global Gallerie has been strictly 'OK'. Staff seem to be generally uninterested. Have been there on three occasions so far, first was for some accessories which was ok, service was reasonably quick. Second occasion was oil change at 2k kms which was also done quickly enough. Also passenger side door handle was sticking out a bit (something i missed out during the PDI) decided to fix that. Turns out there was small plastic component broken on the inside which would have to be replaced. Did not argue about warranty as would not be able to prove that the part was always broken, ended up paying Rs.200 advance for ordering the part. Total cost of part Rs.700. Anyways point is that it's been more than a month now and i am still waiting.
Third occasion was recently for the water leakage. Time taken was 1.5 days. Leakage seems to have been solved however we have not received much rain in the last few days so cant be entirely sure.

P.S. Had parked behind a red polo 1.6 at arcadia yesterday evening, guessing that's you Omega man. Was careful not to park too close, lest i punch a hole in your rear bumper this time!
Old 12th September 2011, 22:38   #26
BHPian

Good to hear that your boot leak issue seems now resolved.

I got to know most people at VW Thane in most departments now. Even spent a good amount of time in their cafeteria while getting my work done. Also know some of the mechanics who used to work at other garages and are now contracted at VW Thane.

Oil change at 2000kms? Why? Please elaborate on this point?

Thanks to Frontosa, Himanshu & Sourav for their brilliant efforts & advice, I will be going to KSM Motors next week to get the VAS features activated. I refuse to break my head with the guys at VW Thane. Will make a last ditch effort on wednesday though.

That wasnt our car Frankazoid. Its mostly in use by my better half. You can identify our car by the red premier tissue box on the parcel tray and the Iranian Evil Eye dangling on the internal rear view mirror. Hope to bang into you sometime, but definitely not another hole in our cars bumper please I am normally in the news in our HE Newsletter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankazoid!!! View Post
I would say overall experience with Global Gallerie has been strictly 'OK'. Staff seem to be generally uninterested. Have been there on three occasions so far, first was for some accessories which was ok, service was reasonably quick. Second occasion was oil change at 2k kms which was also done quickly enough. Also passenger side door handle was sticking out a bit (something i missed out during the PDI) decided to fix that. Turns out there was small plastic component broken on the inside which would have to be replaced. Did not argue about warranty as would not be able to prove that the part was always broken, ended up paying Rs.200 advance for ordering the part. Total cost of part Rs.700. Anyways point is that it's been more than a month now and i am still waiting.
Third occasion was recently for the water leakage. Time taken was 1.5 days. Leakage seems to have been solved however we have not received much rain in the last few days so cant be entirely sure.

P.S. Had parked behind a red polo 1.6 at arcadia yesterday evening, guessing that's you Omega man. Was careful not to park too close, lest i punch a hole in your rear bumper this time!

Last edited by Omega Man : 12th September 2011 at 22:41.
Old 13th September 2011, 12:23   #27
BHPian

Is this KSM motors Nerul that you will be going to? I am very much interested in adding the useful VAS features mentioned in Frontosa's thread. Will call and set up an appointment sometime this week hopefully.
I got the oil and filter changed after running in the engine at 2k kms.
Guess there are more than 2 Polo 1.6's in the area then! Is it just me or am i actually seeing a lot more Polo 1.6's on the road than Palio 1.6's when it was launched.
Old 20th September 2011, 10:07   #28
BHPian

Hi Frankazoid, hows your boot holding up now?

Yes, guess its KSM, Nerul after all. But it may be 2 weeks before we can spare sometime for our car's work again. We definitely want to get those useful VAS features activated.

Is there a specific reason why you changed oil and filter after just 2k kms when its supposed to last 15k kms?

Before buying the Polo, we never noticed a Polo, Vento or Jetta, not only on the road, but even their adverts in newspapers. The first and only time I saw a Polo was when it was launched in India. I was in Mumbai on Malabar Hill and saw a chopper with a huge banner of a Red Polo suspended underneath, circling all over Mumbai. Then during Jetta launch, when they inserted a talking chip in TOI newspaper. I still have that talking chip and it still works, but it yaps about Jetta only. After buying the Polo, we see Polo's, Vento's & Jetta's all around us. In my apartment, we have our Polo, a white Vento & a Silver Jetta belonging to our neighbors, both previous models, less than a month old.

Quote:
Is this KSM motors Nerul that you will be going to? I am very much interested in adding the useful VAS features mentioned in Frontosa's thread. Will call and set up an appointment sometime this week hopefully.
I got the oil and filter changed after running in the engine at 2k kms.
Guess there are more than 2 Polo 1.6's in the area then! Is it just me or am i actually seeing a lot more Polo 1.6's on the road than Palio 1.6's when it was launched.

Last edited by Omega Man : 20th September 2011 at 10:12.
Old 20th September 2011, 11:40   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
Hi Frankazoid, hows your boot holding up now?

Yes, guess its KSM, Nerul after all. But it may be 2 weeks before we can spare sometime for our car's work again. We definitely want to get those useful VAS features activated.

Is there a specific reason why you changed oil and filter after just 2k kms when its supposed to last 15k kms?

Before buying the Polo, we never noticed a Polo, Vento or Jetta, not only on the road, but even their adverts in newspapers. The first and only time I saw a Polo was when it was launched in India. I was in Mumbai on Malabar Hill and saw a chopper with a huge banner of a Red Polo suspended underneath, circling all over Mumbai. Then during Jetta launch, when they inserted a talking chip in TOI newspaper. I still have that talking chip and it still works, but it yaps about Jetta only. After buying the Polo, we see Polo's, Vento's & Jetta's all around us. In my apartment, we have our Polo, a white Vento & a Silver Jetta belonging to our neighbors, both previous models, less than a month old.
The boot, i am happy to report, is dry as a bone so far. Guess the silicone did the trick!

I have followed the advice mentioned in the thread below.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...r-new-car.html

I have taken an appointment with KSM motors Nerul tomorrow for updating the VAS features. The staff taking the appointment had no idea what i was talking about, will have to figure out with the SA. Thought i would go for a long drive after that as i wont be around for a while.
Frankazoid!!! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2011, 13:57   #30
BHPian

Quote:
The boot, i am happy to report, is dry as a bone so far. Guess the silicone did the trick!

Great

I have followed the advice mentioned in the thread below.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...r-new-car.html

Thanks for the link.

I have taken an appointment with KSM motors Nerul tomorrow for updating the VAS features. The staff taking the appointment had no idea what i was talking about, will have to figure out with the SA. Thought i would go for a long drive after that as i wont be around for a while.
Hi Frankazoid,

These are some details I collected with the help of Frontosa, Sourav and Himanshu for getting the VAS features activated on our Polo from KSM Motors. I hope you find these details helpful.

KSM Motors
Plot No D 396/1, TTC Industrial Area, Kukshet, Nerul, Navi Mumbai - 400706.
022 - 27688939, 9619666008, 9619666020.
Service@Vw-Ksmmotors.co.in

Speak with Vrushali at the reception desk.
Ask for SA Dinesh Nayak.
Give reference of the following people who got it done from them : Sourav, Rohan, Himanshu.
First tell them you are from Team-BHP.
Tell them to connect your car to VAS. (The computer which has all VW cars software)
Next tell them to activate/modify the following features:

List of VAS Features
1 Auto locking at 15kmph
2 Auto unlocking at ignition off
3 Rear boot lid locking at 5kmph
4 Audible feedback on locking (one honk)
5 Audible feedback on unlocking (two honks)
6 Single door opening (not sure what this is)
7 Optical feedback on locking (activated from factory)
8 Optical feedback on unlocking (activated from factory)
9 Comfort indicators (preset to 3)

Thank you - Frontosa, Himanshu & Sourav.

Hope this helps, Cheers

P.S. - Dear Mods, Frankazoid still does not have a PM facility so posting this information here. I hope this does not violate any rules on Team BHP.
Please take corrective action, if it does. I should be held, solely responsible for any violations and not any of the members named in my post. Thanks.

Last edited by Omega Man : 20th September 2011 at 14:01.
Omega Man is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks