Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2011, 16:33   #16
BHPian

Re: Mercedes E class woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst_delhi View Post
When the auto box is in D , the idle torque is not going to the wheels in terms of motion. When this happens there is extreme pressure and heat generated at the torque converter.

IACV - idle air control valve can get plugged.
You are right.

The pump impeller is rotating at 800 rpm (engine idle speed) & throwing the ATF onto the turbine wheel where as the turbine wheel which is connected to wheels through various planetary gear sets is held still because of the applied brakes. That definitely will cause increased pressure & high temperatures.

Quote:
Also check the O2 sensors and spark plugs while you are at it.
His is a E270 cdi.

Quote:
pulling the codes is the best way to get forward in any case.
?
Old 26th October 2011, 23:13   #17
Awaiting Email Confirmation

UPDATE:

The car is back after repairs. Damage: 34k, front bumper (left and right edges) scratched. There is a paint mark on the boot. Already informed the guys and told them to fix it the next time the car comes in.
And yes, no reply from Daimler!
Old 26th October 2011, 23:56   #18
BHPian

So new disc & brake pads ? What did they say of the brake pad wear warning not coming on cluster ? You saw the eaten up discs ?

Last edited by Neil.Bhujbal : 27th October 2011 at 00:00.
Old 27th October 2011, 20:47   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just to point out , for automatics the tranny should never be in D in idle or traffic lights , The torque converter and the ATF fluid burns up due to fluid friction and extreme pressure and high temperature.

The best is to leave in N or P when idling , the jerks could be the bad ATF fluid or heated ATF fluid as well or the torque converter packing up.

Also check the IACV if clogged. thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil.Bhujbal View Post
If the mounts are the actual reason than its not a major issue,not for now at least. Do let us know when u get it sorted & the reason if its anything different.

I dont think keeping the car idling in D is that much of a problem.

1)Yes the ATF might heat up a little but then you have a oil cooler & nothing can happen to the torque converter.
2)The oil pressure in the automatic gearbox is dependent on the engine speed so be the car in P, N or idling in D the oil pressure remains same.

In mercedes the jerk you get when putting the vehicle in D,R can be reduced buy reducing some pneumatic pressure off the system.

By the way whats IACV ?
Quote:
When the auto box is in D , the idle torque is not going to the wheels in terms of motion. When this happens there is extreme pressure and heat generated at the torque converter.

IACV - idle air control valve can get plugged.

Also check the O2 sensors and spark plugs while you are at it.

pulling the codes is the best way to get forward in any case.
A bit OT but....

I always leave the car in D mode till I reach my destination. I had this same doubt about keeping it neutral but based my research (for BMW F10 models) the following info says it is OK not to keep in N:

"This is the NIC (Neutral Idle Control) function. When at a complete stop with brakes applied and gear selector in D, the transmission will shift to "neutral." A slight bump sensation (2-3 times) can be felt as the clutch decouples. When releasing the brake pedal the trans will reengage the gear, at times with a slight bump (surge) or hesitation. The strength of the bump-surge sensation will decrease as the transmission adaption takes place. Both conditions are normal at this time but are investigated for possible improvements. In sport mode this function is not active."

source: Problem w/ my '06 325i - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums
Old 26th November 2011, 18:03   #20
BHPian

My update.

The vibration was due to engine foundation rubber that holds the engine base or something like that. Those rubber fittings had broken. Changed that and also new front and rear brake pads, new air filters and complete service done.
The cars come back from service and got a new Malfunction saying Service brake! Visit Workshop!. Had no idea what this was so after searching through number of forums I learned that the error is something most W211 owners get and was due to SBC or a faulty brake light switch or a simple software update. Sensotronic Brake Control is a unit that controls brakes. Learned that SBC has a 10 year or unmlimited mileage warrantee by Mercedes Benz. They normally cost £1600-00, but Merc will change it for free. It was a fault with these units. So have no choice but to send it to Autohanger to get it sorted out.

Last edited by Y@SH : 26th November 2011 at 18:16.
Old 7th August 2012, 16:22   #21
BHPian

OUCH! This sounds like such a painful experience! Makes you wonder why we Indians are always referring to the three-pointed star as "premium" when in fact at times like these one would be better off with a Skoda or Honda... Im considering buying a W211 E class but after reading your experiences im a bit hesitant.
Old 15th March 2014, 15:09   #22
BHPian

>>>
akki_5,

How are you doing?
And how is the 280 CDI doing?

Drive safe
Old 31st May 2018, 19:10   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil.Bhujbal View Post
So new disc & brake pads ? What did they say of the brake pad wear warning not coming on cluster ? You saw the eaten up discs ?
Hi Neil,

I am a happy owner of a 2007 E280 CDI. I needed advise on the after market break pads and rotors, which are due for change now. The car has run 70k kms running on second set of pads. Right now Brembo seems to be the favorite of the service providers outside of Mercedes. The present set of pads which I have is of Brembo, the front ones gave up around 26k kms and the rear ones gave up at 34k kms. I need to change them now. Even my second set pad wear warning did not come up on cluster. Please advise.

Last edited by zulfi hansi : 31st May 2018 at 19:11. Reason: addition

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks