Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2011, 19:35   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai i10 - Electrical Problems EDIT - New Issue (Page 2)

Hello All,

I bought a used 2009 Hyundai i10 Sportz with 20K km from "Hyundai Advantage". Mechanically the car seems to be good with no issues while running and the engine sounds really smooth. But I find certain electrical issue with the car.

The issue:
1) Sometimes, when I turn on the ignition, none of the lights appear on the dashboard or the stereo with complete electrical 'blackout'. I turn off the ignition and turn on again, everything seems to work fine. But the time on the stereo (OEM one) is reset and all radio settings are gone.

There is a similar issue (most probably related). The unlock / lock fails sometimes. The previous owner has installed Hyundai OEM central locks. If unlock fails, I have to manually unlock it. No alarming this time. I turn on and turn off the ignition couple of times and everything starts working. But stereo is reset. This evening, even lock didn't work. Same thing again. Turned on/off the ignition couple of times and everything works.

All of the above does not happen all the times. Lets say it happens around 10% of the times.

2) There is one more issue but it might be inherent to i10. When I have to start moving from the incline position, I try to do the popular half-clutch method. But at certain position, the ignition goes temporarily 'off' and becomes 'on' by itself when I leave the clutch. Even the electrical power steering and stereo turn off during this moment.

Any idea what could be wrong? I'm heading to Hyundai service station tomorrow. But before I go, I want to be armed with information from you experts.

Thanks!!!

MODS: I did a search but couldn't find a similar thread.

Last edited by blue_pulsar : 2nd November 2011 at 19:39.
Old 2nd November 2011, 20:37   #2
BHPian

re: Hyundai i10 - Electrical Problems EDIT - Now Resolved

I am no expert, but the symptoms you mentioned, they might suggest a loose electrical contact somewhere. Although, if that is the case, I don't know how that would explain the behavior only on inclines and not anywhere else.

In any case, if this problem has only started recently, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Seems nothing major, at least nothing that the Hyundai guys can't fix in a day.

Happy driving.
swarnava.m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2011, 20:47   #3
BHPian

Check your battery leads, condition of the battery & earth connection from engine to body.
1self is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2011, 20:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
I am no expert, but the symptoms you mentioned, they might suggest a loose electrical contact somewhere. Although, if that is the case, I don't know how that would explain the behavior only on inclines and not anywhere else.

In any case, if this problem has only started recently, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Seems nothing major, at least nothing that the Hyundai guys can't fix in a day.

Happy driving.
I can't say if this is a recent problem because I bought the car 5 days back.

Regarding the incline thing, it happens only when I do a 'half-clutch' to move from incline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1self View Post
Check your battery leads, condition of the battery & earth connection from engine to body.
Thanks! Even I was suspecting the earthing part or the battery.

Last edited by blue_pulsar : 2nd November 2011 at 20:49.
Old 2nd November 2011, 21:54   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
I can't say if this is a recent problem because I bought the car 5 days back.

Regarding the incline thing, it happens only when I do a 'half-clutch' to move from incline.
Alright, I still don't think it is a major issue as such. Just take it to HASS and I think they should be able to diagnose it just fine.
Old 3rd November 2011, 05:55   #6
Team-BHP Support

Central locking and radio settings being reset tend to point to the battery being disconnected. Do check this out.

Also, i hope the wiring has not been chewed upon by rats.
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2011, 07:09   #7
BHPian

A good thread on electrical cum electronic problem i suppose. I am just wondering whether these problems are created by the garage guys. Whenever these guys raise the engine with acceleration cable i am really annoyed, because it is naturally bound to induce rush of electric charge and damage the circuits or even burn the electric wires if it is a old car. I am very sceptical that this may be a created problem rather than naturally occurring phenomenon. Pl get you electrical connections checked thoroughly preferably with you personal attention while the checks are being undertaken. Expert opinons welcome on the damages caused by stepping up acceleration cable.
ukderebail is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2011, 08:49   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Central locking and radio settings being reset tend to point to the battery being disconnected. Do check this out.

Also, i hope the wiring has not been chewed upon by rats.
Actually they changed the battery before they gave the car to me. Looked like they messed up something. Will have them check it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukderebail View Post
A good thread on electrical cum electronic problem i suppose. I am just wondering whether these problems are created by the garage guys. Whenever these guys raise the engine with acceleration cable i am really annoyed, because it is naturally bound to induce rush of electric charge and damage the circuits or even burn the electric wires if it is a old car. I am very sceptical that this may be a created problem rather than naturally occurring phenomenon. Pl get you electrical connections checked thoroughly preferably with you personal attention while the checks are being undertaken. Expert opinons welcome on the damages caused by stepping up acceleration cable.
Thanks for the responses, guys. Am heading to Hyundai service in a couple of hours. Will keep you guys posted.

Last edited by blue_pulsar : 3rd November 2011 at 08:50.
Old 3rd November 2011, 09:00   #9
BHPian

Blue_pulsar,
My dad's Ikon had a similar problem - Total unpredicatble electrical block out. A local electrician traced it out as a problem with a burnt connector that connects the ingnition switch with the vehicle wiring harness. He by-passed the connector with a similarly thick wire and the problem was solved. Yours also sounds similar. Though solving it wouldnt take much time, but identifying takes. Do elaborate us about the diagnosis and the solution provided by the service centre.
-Ilango
ilangop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2011, 09:02   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Actually they changed the battery before they gave the car to me. Looked like they messed up something. Will have them check it.
I am sure that they must have messed up with the new battery connection while installing. the wiring that connect your car system and the battery seems to be loose.

Does your car also give starting problem during self-start?
ankurvirmani19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2011, 15:03   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hello All,

Issue resolved! Did not have to go to Hyundai. Just opened the bonnet myself and found out. I'm really furious at Advaith Hyundai. They are so irresponsible.
Attaching the pic:
Hyundai i10 - Electrical Problems EDIT - New Issue (Page 2)-img_03172.jpg

Couldn't even imagine that a dealer so big could do such a blunder.

Thanks for all your replies!
blue_pulsar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2011, 15:13   #12
BHPian

Good dude, a DIY always helps. Though this is mean of a Dealer to have missed this. Nice that you saved your time & petrol.
Old 3rd November 2011, 16:20   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Hello All,

Issue resolved! Did not have to go to Hyundai. Just opened the bonnet myself and found out. I'm really furious at Advaith Hyundai. They are so irresponsible.
Attaching the pic:
Attachment 836536

Thanks for all your replies!
I would have liked you to test the integrity of Advaith, the dealer by taking the vehicle in the same condition and checking up their response, it would have revealed how genuine they are in resolving problems. If they had mentioned that it would cost you a bomb or xxx sum as estimate to repair you should have collected and proved it to the world. Kudos to you stars and detective sense.
ukderebail is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2011, 16:48   #14
BHPian

Quote:

Issue resolved!

You meant that after fixing the bolt by yourself, you are no longer seeing any of those problems seen before? I am using a 2009 Nov make i10 Sportz and my only similarity is with my radio settings getting reset quiet often. There seems to be some pattern on how it can be done, known only to my 2 yr old son.

But glad to hear that your problem is fixed.

Well I am personally not surprised by the fact about Advaith Hyundai (ORR branch, especially.) I had plenty of uneventful things with them. They just tend to ignore the problems and come up with saying "we checked everything, its all fine..we dont find any problem..."..but you actually know there is a problem.

Cheers,
Greg
samabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2011, 18:05   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukderebail View Post
I would have liked you to test the integrity of Advaith, the dealer by taking the vehicle in the same condition and checking up their response, it would have revealed how genuine they are in resolving problems. If they had mentioned that it would cost you a bomb or xxx sum as estimate to repair you should have collected and proved it to the world. Kudos to you stars and detective sense.
You are right. I should have done that. But I have taken the picture for their sake. Thinking of sending it to them

Quote:
Originally Posted by samabhi View Post
You meant that after fixing the bolt by yourself, you are no longer seeing any of those problems seen before? I am using a 2009 Nov make i10 Sportz and my only similarity is with my radio settings getting reset quiet often. There seems to be some pattern on how it can be done, known only to my 2 yr old son.

But glad to hear that your problem is fixed.

Well I am personally not surprised by the fact about Advaith Hyundai (ORR branch, especially.) I had plenty of uneventful things with them. They just tend to ignore the problems and come up with saying "we checked everything, its all fine..we dont find any problem..."..but you actually know there is a problem.

Cheers,
Greg
Yes, today I drove the car for quite a bit. Am not seeing the issue anymore.
blue_pulsar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks