Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2011, 23:47   #1
BHPian

Fiat Linea (1.3 MJD EP) Acceleration Issue!!!

I have been facing a weird issue with my Fiat Linea 1.3 Multijet Emotion Pk. Occasionally, when on a long drive on highways, I have noticed that the car looses all acceleration for a short period.

At this point, there is absolutely no response from accelerator or gear shift (downshift or otherwise). It is as if the vehicle gets stuck at that particular RPM and speed with only slight deceleration.Obviously, on braking the vehicle, it loses speed and there is no issue with braking. Also, Upon aggressive downshift (downshifting to achieve RPM above 3500-4000), I am able to regain normal acceleration.

There is no error in diagnostic software when checked at service centre. Further, it is very difficult to replicate the error in workshop due to unpredictability of this problem.

Is this a turbocharger issue ? I personally do not think so because this condition happens at any RPM whereas turbocharger only kicks in after 2000 RPM.

It could be a problem with the injectors but once again any such problem would be more consistant and would show up in diagnostic software.

Finally, I suspected a problem with fuel line but Fiat service centre staff ruled this out due to no smoke (white or black) at the time of problem.

Has any other Linea owner experienced this error and was able to resolve it ? Can the gurus shed some light on other possible problems.

Thanks in advance.
Old 9th November 2011, 23:55   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea Accelaration Issue!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
Is this a turbocharger issue ? I personally do not think so because this condition happens at any RPM whereas turbocharger only kicks in after 2000 RPM.
Turbocharger starts spinning and provides boost much lower than 2000rpm, it's only it reaches the peak boost around 2000rpm.
Old 10th November 2011, 00:06   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

For a turbo diesel giving acceleration issues, I'd check the turbo plumbing for any leaks.

Also, I would suspect bad fuel.

But.. this:
Quote:
Upon aggressive downshift (downshifting to achieve RPM above 3500-4000), I am able to regain normal acceleration.
Points towards a clogged fuel supply. Check the diesel filter and if water in fuel.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2011, 00:09   #4
BHPian

1. Do you see more of this during the Summer, or is it an all weather phenomenon.
2. Is the occurence only when you have been driving for a long time.
3. What are the circumstances when this occurs, eg, terrain, load, speed, gear, rpm etc.
4. How long does it last, how much time does it take to come out of it.
Old 10th November 2011, 00:35   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Turbocharger starts spinning and provides boost much lower than 2000rpm, it's only it reaches the peak boost around 2000rpm.
I agree. The lines were checked bu no visible damage was noticed. Can you guide me on obvious signs of turbo pipe leaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
For a turbo diesel giving acceleration issues, I'd check the turbo plumbing for any leaks.

Also, I would suspect bad fuel.

But.. this: Points towards a clogged fuel supply. Check the diesel filter and if water in fuel.
I will check the diesel filter though I would doubt bad fuel since this car only fills up at our own fuel station. I obviously can't rule out wate in fuel. Would this harm the car even after refuels since this has been happening for over a month and I must have refilled atleast 3-4 times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM - B View Post
1. Do you see more of this during the Summer, or is it an all weather phenomenon.
2. Is the occurence only when you have been driving for a long time.
3. What are the circumstances when this occurs, eg, terrain, load, speed, gear, rpm etc.
4. How long does it last, how much time does it take to come out of it.
1. Can't comment since it has only been happening since past couple of months. Basically after this year's monsoon. (This might also point at water in fuel line theory)

2. I have only observed it on long drives but it could be a sporadic occurrence.

3. Highway road, speeds between 80-100, 4th-5th gear (though i have observed it also in 3rd gear to a lesser extent), 2000-3000 RPM.

4. Lasts few minutes, max ten minutes. It is as if the car is exhausted and is gasping for air.
Old 10th November 2011, 08:26   #6
BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea (1.3 MJD EP) Accelaration Issue!!!

Maybe something to do with clogged air filters or turbo plumbing or also check if you engine oil is good.

Could be a possibility of a clogged fuel filter , even the best of fuels will attract moisture from air and have dirt particles.
Old 17th February 2012, 11:15   #7
BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea (1.3 MJD EP) Acceleration Issue!!!

Hey even I'm facing an issue which is similar to yours. Whenever I accelerate hard in 2nd gear, the car responds perfectly and the turbo kicks in normally. However after that when I try to drive normally, then the car becomes extremely sluggish and unresponsive. I just don't feel any turbo kicking in around 2000 rpm mark. Even though the car revs build up, there is no turbo kick being felt at all.

When I still rev it to around 3-3.5k RPM, then the turbo kicks in. This problem has been persistent for a long long time. But weirdly, after driving sedately for about 15 - 20 min, the car behaves normally again and becomes responsive as I can feel the turbo kick at around 2000 rpm until the next time I floor the throttle in 2nd gear, after which the same problem resurfaces again.

I've tried workshops at Concorde Motors ( Mysore Road) , Prerana Motors ( Kudlu Gate) and KHT Motors. All of them say that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the engine. They also replaced the Vacuum Accumulator and the Accelerator Pedal sensor, but the problem still persists.

The car has clocked 31010 km in 10 months and just had its 3rd free service from Prerana motors. I'm fed up with the car now as I'm forced not to drive quickly. As my last option, I've booked an appointment with Concorde Motors (Dairy Circle) on Monday and just praying that the issue gets sorted out.

But what could be the fault ?? Any idea guys ??
Old 18th February 2012, 09:57   #8
BHPian

I suppose the "E.G.R Valve" needs to be checked. Moreover the "High Pressure Pump" are found defective on some cars. Please ask your dealership to confirm by replacing both this components with a new ones. The Plumbings of the turbo charger is also prone to leak, ask them to check the hose clips as-well.
varunlaxman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2012, 23:16   #9
BHPian

I have taken delivery of my Linea 1.3 MJD 2 days back from concorde motors, mysore road.

I have taken several test drives before zeroing in on the Linea. In all my test drives of the Linea (2011 and 2012) the car accelerated well in all gears.

However with my car, the car just does not move in second gear, even if there is a mild gradient. I push the car to about 2000 rpm in first gear, upshift, and slowly depress the accelerator and the car just does not gain speed. On a moderate incline, it slowed down to the point of stalling and I had to downshift to keep from stalling. Is there a cure for this? the car is otherwise fine - and third gear is fantastic.

Request your help - to understand whats wrong and whats the corrective measure.
autocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 10:09   #10
BANNED

Quote:
I have been facing a weird issue with my Fiat Linea 1.3 Multijet Emotion Pk. Occasionally, when on a long drive on highways, I have noticed that the car looses all acceleration for a short period.

At this point, there is absolutely no response from accelerator or gear shift (downshift or otherwise). It is as if the vehicle gets stuck at that particular RPM and speed with only slight deceleration.Obviously, on braking the vehicle, it loses speed and there is no issue with braking. Also, Upon aggressive downshift (downshifting to achieve RPM above 3500-4000), I am able to regain normal acceleration.

There is no error in diagnostic software when checked at service centre. Further, it is very difficult to replicate the error in workshop due to unpredictability of this problem.

It could be a problem with the injectors but once again any such problem would be more consistant and would show up in diagnostic software.

Finally, I suspected a problem with fuel line but Fiat service centre staff ruled this out due to no smoke (white or black) at the time of problem.

Has any other Linea owner experienced this error and was able to resolve it ? Can the gurus shed some light on other possible problems.

Thanks in advance.

This is a well known stall issue faced by many Palio MJD engines including mine. This usually happens when you very rapidly change gears and are accelerating too fast, the feeling you get is like floating for s few secs when the acc pedal become unresponsive. This has been discuseed under palio MJD issue thread here.

I think it eventually goes away because I have not seen it in mine in like 2 years now.
zaks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2014, 20:48   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
I have taken delivery of my Linea 1.3 MJD 2 days back from concorde motors, mysore road.

I have taken several test drives before zeroing in on the Linea. In all my test drives of the Linea (2011 and 2012) the car accelerated well in all gears.

However with my car, the car just does not move in second gear, even if there is a mild gradient. I push the car to about 2000 rpm in first gear, upshift, and slowly depress the accelerator and the car just does not gain speed. On a moderate incline, it slowed down to the point of stalling and I had to downshift to keep from stalling. Is there a cure for this? the car is otherwise fine - and third gear is fantastic.

Request your help - to understand whats wrong and whats the corrective measure.
I am facing a similar pick-up/turbo issue with my Punto. Has your Linea been fixed, and if so what was the solution?

My Punto is 2 yrs old, and recently finished my 3rd free service. Its run about 28K kms.

While driving, the pick-up just dies sometimes (almost always in 2nd gear). The RPM takes forever to move from 1K to 2K and the turbo doesn't kick in even at 2K. If I switch off the AC, the throttle response is a little better, but no where near normal.

The kicker is that if I switch off the car and re-start, the problem goes away (reminds me of Windows OS ). The throttle response is normal. This pick-up problem cant be predicted, and happens right out of the blue. But everyday, I face this issue atleast 2-3 times during my daily commute of 30 kms.

The first time I faced this a few months back, I went to FASS and they cleaned the EGR module. I then took the car on a long drive from Bangalore to Hyderabad and back. This pick-up issue re-surfaced. I then continued driving it for another 300 kms (within the city) to try and detect a pattern. But no luck. So I gave the car back to the FASS. Over the last 2 days, they have checked the filters and cleaned the EGR hose. But when they took it for a long-ish test drive of 15 kms, they again noticed the issue. So now they are checking the intercooler and the turbo for leakage.

From the previous posts, it looks like they are on the logical track. But I suspect that this is more of an electronic problem (ECU/sensors/etc). Else why would a re-start solve the problem temporarily?

If the experts have some inputs and can help, that would be great. The car is becoming pretty unreliable, and I am seriously considering replacing it (in case FASS is unable to solve this).
Old 27th March 2014, 20:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

Looks like a classical symptom of a failing or dirty accelerator sensor for most of you folks complaining above. Ask your service station to check that
Old 31st March 2014, 17:50   #13
BHPian

wow I am not alone in this world with this issue in my Linea. I too face issues as described, but I thought it was due to clutch issue. Why i felt like that is, when I abused my car with gear shift and dragged her, after some hours of ride my car looses the acceleration, but the RPM rises, so the engine is working good in my observation. so when this happened I slowed down for some time and tried slow acceleration so that the clutch wont slip and that trick succeeded. My Linea has done now 43K so I think its time for a clutch change. and I am an abusive driver pushing linea to its extreme. But this condition popped only after I have clocked 40K in the odometer. I am taking my linea for the next service so I will have a check on this at that time, as of now no error in ECU observed. Please share your inputs and experiences so that if there is an issue we can sort it out.
Old 31st March 2014, 17:58   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryms View Post
wow I am not alone in this world with this issue in my Linea. I too face issues as described, but I thought it was due to clutch issue. Why i felt like that is, when I abused my car with gear shift and dragged her, after some hours of ride my car looses the acceleration, but the RPM rises, so the engine is working good in my observation. so when this happened I slowed down for some time and tried slow acceleration so that the clutch wont slip and that trick succeeded. My Linea has done now 43K so I think its time for a clutch change. and I am an abusive driver pushing linea to its extreme. But this condition popped only after I have clocked 40K in the odometer. I am taking my linea for the next service so I will have a check on this at that time, as of now no error in ECU observed. Please share your inputs and experiences so that if there is an issue we can sort it out.
I have been facing since the time i got the Linea.And almost every Linea MJD owner has faced it at least once in its ownership.And till date no fix has been found.
Old 31st March 2014, 22:41   #15
BHPian

I got my car back from FASS 3 days back. I made them clean up the EGR (again) as well as the turbo hose. They took apart the intercooler too. I asked them to check and clean the accelerator sensor also. They assure me that there is no electrical issue (as there are no flashing lights in the dashboard), but I made them check this up anyway. However, I dont know if they actually cleaned this.

The issue is still there, but intermittent. I drove to Pondicherry and back (~850 kms) and didn't face the issue even once. In fact I got some fantastic mileage (~20 kmpl) even though a lot of the drive was at ~125 kmph.

However, the issue resurfaced when I went for a short drive within the city today. The acceleration was again slow in 2nd gear till about 2000 rpm and then picked up. Will drive some more over the next few days and provide an update on the performance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks