Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2011, 10:54   #16
BHPian

Re: Softer suspension for my Swift

UPDATE -My M.A.S.S mechanic just confirmed that Swift and Dzire have the same suspension setup.
Old 20th November 2011, 11:13   #17
Team-BHP Support

You can put 195/70/14 tyres, this will give you considerable difference in ride and you can use air pressure of 27 psi. This is the cheapest option apart from reducing air pressure of the current tyres.

Next option is a custom damper like Tien, a combo of comfort and performance, like you said RR should be able to help you, but at a cost.
Old 20th November 2011, 12:03   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
Last visit to Kerala from Bangalore, the roads were at the worst in a decade in Kerala. All three of us had backaches and first time in my life (have been driving for almost 14yrs now), due to severe exhaustion I almost fainted just because of the jerks the Swift was giving inside.
...and I am unable to drop her at office because going in a Bus is far better than going in a Swift

Hi Sam, the trip to Kerala on the ultra bad roads could have damaged a few rubber bushes / rest of the suspension as well. Otherwise, how would it explain that you are finding even city rides worse than a bus ride now ?

Please do consider a suspension servicing, at least changing the rubber parts, some greasing of struts and so on, to restore the original ride comfort.

Also reduce the tyre pressures, I have reduced them by 3 psi in my Esteem since the past 3 months for city rides, the rattles have subsided a lot, and the rough feeling of the road / road noise has gone down now.

But if you are looking at ride comfort over really bad patches of roads which, as you yourself rightly said, cannot be gobbled up with your existing car, you may have to directly look at picking up a Tata Safari or Innova
Old 20th November 2011, 15:21   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
Since when did swift come with leaf springs
my bad... I had a notepad mentioning all the options available for softening ride, I just picked up the point from there and put it here without thinking.
Old 20th November 2011, 19:47   #20
BHPian

I switched from stock JK tyres on my 5.5 year old Swift ZXI a few months back to Michelins XM1+ and Nitrogen of course, felt I am driving a new car out of the shop! I was shocked at the smoothness and comfort and rued the bumps I had taken over the first 5.5 years...
Old 20th November 2011, 20:19   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
You can put 195/70/14 tyres, this will give you considerable difference in ride and you can use air pressure of 27 psi. This is the cheapest option apart from reducing air pressure of the current tyres.

Next option is a custom damper like Tien, a combo of comfort and performance, like you said RR should be able to help you, but at a cost.
Looks like Iam finally down RR now. Though Iam not getting a good response from them. Tried to get to them twice in last two weeks. Seems they are not too keen.

Basic suspension set they have is for 60k. The more advanced set they say has 'one touch' switching between 'hard' and 'soft' suspension which costs near to 80k.
Old 20th November 2011, 20:58   #22
Senior - BHPian

Just change your tyres to Michelin or even the newer MRF Z.Lo soft compound types. Also replace all the suspension rubber bushes since you regularly drive on rough roads. That should be more than enough to soften the ride. The Tien can be installed if you are insistent that further comfort is required.
Old 20th November 2011, 21:31   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
- Downsize your tyres to 175/80 R13 size,
Was that R13 intentional? Because Swift D comes with 14 inch rims [except ZDi] & not 13. This is downgrading more than downsizing? Shouldn't this void warranty as well?

Previous gen had 165/80 R14 on L&V variants & 185/70 R14 on ZXi

Quote:
Bilstein website shows different types of dampers...But then I need to find someone who can fix it in Bangalore.
Petes deal with Bilstein right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Sam_sant, Reviews suggest that the new swift have a better suspension than the old model. Please ask any friendly a.s.s service adviser if we can fit the newer suspension in your car?
Something which I was thinking of. If they could tune or change the old swift's suspension with the new one, voila - I will have a SUPERB car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
..and buy
1) A new Skoda Fabia, Toyota Etios Diesel (If you insist on new car)
Or consider a Verito too, if you are willing to forego the taxi image. Heard the ride quality is super.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
Please do consider a suspension servicing, at least changing the rubber parts, some greasing of struts and so on, to restore the original ride comfort.
+1. I O/H'led my suspension after 3 years / 60K kms drive and the car feels new and absorbs bumps better than it used to be. The bushes do wear out in some time when driven thru bad roads.

Quote:
Looks like Iam finally down RR now. Though Iam not getting a good response from them. Tried to get to them twice in last two weeks. Seems they are not too keen.
Don't waste time calling up them. Please do pay a visit & check the modified swift. Infact that could help you decide better & quicker whether there is a marked difference in the set up or more over, does it suit your requirements. If it does, look no further; if it doesn't look at other options.

As said, you might want to change the air to Nitrogen & check for the ride quality - I guess that's the cheapest option you have now.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 20th November 2011 at 21:36.
Old 20th November 2011, 23:47   #24
BHPian

My daily commute to office is 20 kms one side and in it 5 kms is just HOORRIBLE roads (there is no road at all!!! worst u can find in Blore). You cant even call it a road. Some of you are pointing at rubber bushes, so may be my suspension has taken the beating already.

All talk of Michelins and reduced tyre pressures etc but see I am NOT looking at a 'marginal' improvement. The whole objective of this thread is to find out a solution which makes a tremendous change since this is faced by LAKHS of Swift owners. IAM ok with a loss of handling for now, but I want the car to give me some sort of 'softness' going over patchworked roads at least.

I dont expect my Swift to go like a Merc on bad roads. The concern I have with the Swift is that even on reasonably good roads, over some patches she gives unwanted jerks. A small boulder on the road, she jumps. It needn't be a good pothole for the Swift to jerk. That's the whole issue here.

To me - SWIFT IS GOOD ONLY WHILE DRIVING ON A HIGHWAY (read rubberized roads), otherwise it is an utter failure. OR one needs to drive too 'fast' so that she just glides over all those.

@swiftnfurious
Yes Petes have Bilstein. But the 'air suspension module' (which I saw in Bilstein website) and all they were not sure. what they only knew was a suspension upgrade people 'usually' do on Swift for improved handling.

AND for ALL Guys here - Iam someone who is really pissed off with the car for want of comfort. Iam even thinking of selling her off for a super comfort Manza (though i still dont trust Tata). SO, Iam not looking at cheap options. Its do or die for me.

Last edited by sam_sant2005 : 21st November 2011 at 00:02.
Old 21st November 2011, 00:44   #25
BHPian

@sam_sant2005, seems like you are way frustrated with this issue, i totally understand.
i take back what i said in my previous post to retain the car, i think its better for you to sell this car and get something where your wife will be more comfortable, because changing suspension is too much of a task and i think it can be very risky incase of emergency situations (during driving), haven't heard such kind of changes on vehicle like swift before, even after changing and spending lot of money what if it doesn't work out, you will lose lot of money and will be stuck with the same car, i think you should sell this and get a polo or punto or whichever you feel better in suspension.
Old 21st November 2011, 08:37   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

In my opinion punto and polo also have stiff suspension at lower speeds. I suggest you drive a figo and an I20. The latter is very plush in city and suits your requirements to t . Test drive both and decide
Old 21st November 2011, 09:13   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I suggest you drive a figo and an I20. The latter is very plush in city and suits your requirements to t . Test drive both and decide
+1 to this.

In fact, I feel my i -10 gives a really plush city ride, I just glide through so many rough patches (small potholes, irregularities etc) without breaking a sweat, compared to many of the cars I have driven before. I find it plusher than the Figo as well, of which I had TD, before buying the i-10. TD both, and then decide whether to use your 60k on a suspension upgrade, or for changing the entire car itself :-)

Last edited by mooza : 21st November 2011 at 09:27.
Old 21st November 2011, 09:23   #28
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Was that R13 intentional?
Absolutely intentional if the objective is ride quality. The taller sidewall will greatly enhance ride comfort. Yes, handling won't be the same as before, but with a 185 patch tyre, grip will be more than enough.
Old 10th December 2011, 08:49   #29
BHPian

UPDATE:

I took the car to a known mechanic. After a thorough inspection he came back and told me that the rubber bushes went 'hard' due to real bad roads through which I was driving most of these 25000 kms. I wasnt convinced initially since I couldn't really digest the point that rubber bushes could affect suspension!!! Anyways I told him to go ahead with the rubber bush change and also do a regular service. Total cost Rs.2000.

And the result - TREMENDOUS! uhhhh what was I doing last 8 to 10 months. and what did the previous Service centre do with my 20000km service. Change of the rubber bushes worked! Earlier even small to very small patches on the road could be felt inside, and now though its felt, everything is smooth and soft. Though hard potholes are typically 'swift hard'. But overall, Iam happy !!! Atleast smaller things are not bothering the card as such and its giving a 'swinging' feeling.

This is my first step towards a better suspension for my Swift. I ll update as and when I get a work around for a real soft suspension.

And I test drove the new Swift - And my finding is - ITS ALL THE SAME!
Old 10th December 2011, 10:53   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
UPDATE:

I took the car to a known mechanic. After a thorough inspection he came back and told me that the rubber bushes went 'hard' due to real bad roads through which I was driving most of these 25000 kms. I wasnt convinced initially since I couldn't really digest the point that rubber bushes could affect suspension!!! Anyways I told him to go ahead with the rubber bush change and also do a regular service. Total cost Rs.2000.
Is there any specific recommendation on when to change these rubber bushes? Also, which MASS do you go?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks