Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2011, 13:38   #16
BHPian

Re: Whether to repair an used S10 before bringing home or not is the question!

congratulations for the S10.

I can understand your excitement to drive it down for such a long distance; i would suggest, if you have a lot of time, come over to mumbai, spent few days getting the car brought up to shape at a trusted garage and then drive it back (and plan this trip thoroughly so that if any surprises, you would have people to contact on the way or a backup plan).

if you are short on time, get it moved by a reputed package and movers and do not take chance with a low cost mover.
infotech58 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 14:43   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
8K to drive down an S10? Do a back of the envelope calculation to find out their expenses considering the fuel prices and FE of the S10. Its not possible.
Sorry buddy, if I'd known you'd hold me to the exact figure I mention on the post, I'd find out the FE of the S10, the exact kms, the movers&packers margin etc. My bad!

The sentiment of that post was to let him know that diff. people might quote diff. rates and what those rates signify.

Coming to the 8k, I was indeed quoted somewhat around that for getting my Corsa from Gurgaon to Bangalore; on mentioning this quote to a more reputable company, they said that the 8k fellows generally drive at least a part of the journey. I have no more details.

As for me, I spent 14k on transportation and yet, I'm unhappy.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 14:57   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
............and the infamous FE of the S10.
A little bit off topic:

On highways, the FE of a Fiat Palio S10/1.6 Sports [retro & Stile both] is not as bad as it's made out to be. I used to get 13.5-14 kmpl on a regular basis, with average speeds hovering between 90-100 kmph and 50% AC. This is including the odd traffic jam/long queues at toll booths and giving-in-to-temptation sprints

So, if Klub Klass does decide to drive the car rather than use a mover & packer, I'm sure the fuel costs won't cross 7k rupees.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 15:06   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
they said that the 8k fellows generally drive at least a part of the journey. I have no more details.
I'm not holding you for anything Nishad. What I mean is, its just not possible to drive down the car for 8k, even if you drive alone. Let alone the profits of the organization.

So, talking about transporting a petrol car for longer distances, lower quotes does not always mean its driven down.

I'm just thinking twice on the logic of the statement from the transport company. I hope you get the drift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
A little bit off topic:

On highways, the FE of a Fiat Palio S10/1.6 Sports [retro & Stile both] is not as bad as it's made out to be. I used to get 13.5-14 kmpl on a regular basis
Its not really off topic, as it gives some info for Amith on the drive down, if he opts for it.

Coming to the route, well, Bombay - Goa can be called a highway, but Goa - Calicut cannot be. We got an FE of ~15kmpl on a diesel Figo, so I guess you can imagine.

But then yeah.. driving down is FUN!, if you have the right choice of company, and the car doesnt betray you... Check this: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...bie-jeepr.html..

Last edited by dhanushs : 1st December 2011 at 15:09.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 15:16   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I'm not holding you for anything Nishad. What I mean is, its just not possible to drive down the car for 8k, even if you drive alone. Let alone the profits of the organization.

So, talking about transporting a petrol car for longer distances, lower quotes does not always mean its driven down.

I'm just thinking twice on the logic of the statement from the transport company. I hope you get the drift.
Okay, on a more serious note.

Dhanush, you'll be surprised how commonplace this is. I know of incidents when people transported their vehicles at very low rates and were shocked to find out later what had happened when they checked the odo.

The 8k I was quoted was when petrol was Rs. 61/- (in Delhi, it's almost Rs. 5/- less than what it is in Bangalore). My Corsa returns a surprising FE of ~16kmpl when driven on the highways.

The practice of driving down when the car is supposed to be "transported" is actually very common but what is surprising is those who indulge in it even make profits; maybe as less as 1-2k. But it does happen.

Now that we're talking about vehicle transportation - here's another thing. There's no Insurance on it. When we shipped our household items thru' Agarwal, some amount was collected as Insurance. If something was damaged in transit, 40% of the declared value of the damaged good would be given to us.

When you transport a vehicle, there is no such Insurance. Logic - the car already is insured.

Flip-side : the transport guys can mess with your car and yet walk away scot free because it has an insurance of it's own and it's not on the transporter's head.

And if you think this is impossible, this actually happened with my car. When I took the delivery in Bangalore, 1 headlight was diff. than the other. Something had happened and those rascals fit a cheap, fake headlight. When I pointed it out, they claimed nothing had happened. On giving the owner of the company a piece of my mind, he said I could go to the cops or whatever but they wouldn't pay a single penny or give me an OEM headlight - simply because, I did not get the car insured separately specifically for the transit.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 1st December 2011 at 15:18.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 15:20   #21
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the S10! Is this the same which JayD was talking about? You guys are on a roll

The best place where you can get the information is through PalioUsersGroup. They are on Yahoo and FB as well. IIRC, one of the members has a garage there. Kava sould help you with the spares. There's another shop, I guess Shetty Motors/Automobiles where you can get the spares as well. You will get all this info in that group.

BTW, how many kms it has done? If its anything close to 60K or beyond, recommend changing the timing belt and its other associated tasks. Fluid replacements will be a definite must. If the car shows signs of jerkiness or has fluctuating rpms at idle, then only touch the throttle body or ignition coil or injectors. Check also the general condition of the tyres. Suspension too with that push method near the bonnet. It should come back to its original position.

This is of course if you are driving down which will be my first choice. With movers and packers, there will be a scratch. No 2 ways about it. Have trasnsported 2, 4 wheelers and whole of stuff by the so called best in the business.
JVH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 15:26   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Coming to the route, well, Bombay - Goa can be called a highway, but Goa - Calicut cannot be. We got an FE of ~15kmpl on a diesel Figo, so I guess you can imagine.
I'm sure our very own GPS in the forum, HV Kumar, can suggest an optimum route to Klub Klass, that will enable him to extract max FE from his machine. Even if it's a little bit longer than Bombay-Goa-Calicut, then with a S10 to drive, that's even better!

Off the top of my head, I can think of Mumbai-B'lore on NH4 and then to Calicut via NH212; comes to 1350 kms in MapMyIndia:

India Driving Directions, Maps of India and Local Business Search : MapmyIndia Maps

Cheers,
Vikram

P.S: Funny, we all are even more excited about the journey than Klub Klass himself!

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 1st December 2011 at 15:28.
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 15:30   #23
Senior - BHPian

Hey Klub Class,

Drive the car yourself, nothing better than the thrill of driving on an open highway.

As for the repairs etc. yes there are trusted mechanics available who are maintaining different models of Fiats for our 'mutual friends' in and around Bombay. Once you are firm on the idea of driving we could get in to the details. In addition if I have the time around the period when your S10 is to be driven to Calicut, I would be glad to do the needfull.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 15:36   #24
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on S10.

I would recommend Getting it done through Packers and Movers. When we moved last time we used Agrawal and i think they charged us about 13K for similar distance (maybe a little less).

Although driving long distances connects you to the car and you get to understand it better, but in this case you have not owned it hence it may throw surprises at you. Hence the recommendation to use Movers and Packers.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 17:04   #25

A Palio S10 in personal Garage, is a proud moment for Fiat lovers..Congratulations on your acquisition, now for the best way to take it home.

Exciting as it may sound, the roar of 100 PS vs 1200 kms the battle would be worth a Sunday noon show, but a few questions remain unanswered,
Q.1.The number of days the car has been Idle?
Q.2.The number of kms it has stacked up and the maintenance routine the car has followed.
Q.3.The car was nearby Seashore or far.

Case 1 :Lets presume the car rested for 1 - 1.6 years, the common casualty would be Battery, Fuel lines drying out, Fluids loosing viscosity, this can be easily mended and yes you can drive it all the way with a little bit of caution. (considering the car has parking and is far from sea)

Case 1 suggestion : I would suggest try to start the car with a new battery and if the engine fires, let it idle for 1 hour at least and if there are no hiccups, the car will be absolutely fine in no time and then carry on with fluid changes and the necessary and prepare the warrior for the war.

In any other case it would be highly time consuming to prepare the warrior for such an epic war. (1200 kms +)

Do consider these things before planning a journey and do message back if you need help in Mumbai to mend your priced possession.

Enjoy the car and the stares..
porsche freak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 17:09   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Go with the heart, buddy! Get the necessary work done & then drive her back. I highly recommend Mr. Sunil Shanbagh (a perfectionist who runs a garage in Dadar). Look up his coordinates in the Team-BHP Directory. I've frequently seen Fiats at his place. Just don't be in a hurry, his turnaround time is long.

Congrats on the S10 BTW. You've got yourself a legend of the Indian car scene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
I have sent you a couple of PM's with a contact in Mumbai.
A PM will help only 1 person, a public post will help a 1000 more. Request to share contacts on the public forum itself; after all, Team-BHP's primary purpose is the sharing of knowledge Thanks
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 17:39   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A PM will help only 1 person, a public post will help a 1000 more. Request to share contacts on the public forum itself; after all, Team-BHP's primary purpose is the sharing of knowledge Thanks
GTO, There is a PUG member Sanjeev who owns a Garage in Mumbai specialized in FIAT Cars. I got this info from PUG and I haven't had any prior experience dealing with him but the other PUGgers have. And since I haven't had a personal interaction I did not share the same on the forum.
lloydofcochin is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks