Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2011, 23:38   #1
Senior - BHPian

Whether to repair a used S10 or not : Before bringing it home

Dear BHPians & FIATians,

For the last few months, we've been searching pan India for a well maintained S10 . It will suffice here to say that we've atlast got hold of an S10 at a throw away price.

The car is in Mumbai and we're in Calicut. Put in other words, the car is ~1200kms away from us. That gives us two options
  • Drive the car all the way down after carrying out the necessary repairs and replacements.
  • Bring the car home via Movers & Packers.
As of now, we're more inclined in driving the car down rather then opting for Movers & Packers, just for the heck of it. *evil grin*

Regarding the car, well, the car in question was left used for quite some time as the seller has few other vehicles. I guess, few works need to be done on the car urgently to be on the safer side. Given my limited knowledge the things that needs urgent replacement are :
  • Belts
  • Filters
  • Throttle Body Cleaning(?)
  • Change Fluids after flushing
  • Tyres
  • OVRMs
  • Wiper Motor
  • Rubber Beadings
  • Strut Bushes
  • Headlights
  • AC Gas Top-up. May require some work as the car was left unused.

Basically, we're thinking on the lines of sourcing the required parts from Kava Automobiles and likes. Then, getting the car repaired from trustworthy, reliable and reputed mechanic/service station.

Err...I need your valuable inputs very badly :
  1. Where can I get all these works done in Mumbai? Suggest me some good service centre/mechanics. Please provide the contact details, in case you've.
  2. Which brand synthetic oil and flushing oil is recommended? or Should I stick with mineral oil?
  3. Did I miss anything that needs to be replaced? If yes, please let me know.
  4. In worst case, if we opt for Movers & Packers, which one do you recommend?

Thanks in anticipation my friends. *smile*

PS: Don't say things like : i) don't touch a pre-owned S10 even with a barge pole, ii) you'll end up spending more time sourcing parts rather then enjoying the car iii) Fiat A.S.S sucks a big time and blah blah. We really know what we're getting into. *pun intended*
Klub Class is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2011, 23:50   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Whether to repair an used S10 before bringing home or not is the question!

First of all, congratulations on the decision to buy the S10!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
[*]In worst case, if we opt for Movers & Packers, which one do you recommend?[/list]
Now here's where I'll give you a reality check. If you transport a vehicle thru' ANY Movers and Packers, be prepared to anticipate and accept damages; they won't be major but things like, a scratch somewhere or a broken OVRM. Unfortunately, it is inevitable.

Now, coming to the actual movers and packers, I'd suggest you go with Agarwal Movers and Packers. There are many by that name so I'll include a link : Agarwal Packers and Movers, Delhi, Mumbai, Packers and Movers Services in India (no alliance with them whatsoever.)

They quoted 15k for moving my Corsa from Gurgaon to Bangalore.

There are 3 types of movers and packers :

1) charge ~8k. these rascals drive down from origin to destination. and of course, you don't know this until you check the odo.
2) charge ~11k : they are decent but not good.
3) charge a premium ~15k + : but are the best in business, not perfect.

Hope this helps.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 00:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

There *maybe* niggles after service sometimes so not sure how wise it would be to do such a long drive immediately after a service. Would it be possible to use it a few days before the drive just to be on the safer side ?

Logically shifting it via packers would be the better option but there are plenty of horror stories about packers here plus you would miss out on a terrific drive
bottle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 00:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

You really are one MAD FIATian. I am not sure where in Mumbai you will find a good service centre/mechanic to do the basic jobs, I hope you get a lead through this thread. But NEVER go to TATA for this. I would suggest bring the car down to Calicut and go to the person who is going to take care of it in future, so that he will also be familiar with the history of the car. For moving the car, agarwal packers are ok, I guess.

Else, take my friend bottle's suggestion and drive it around in Mumbai for a couple of days after a simble service before taking the long drive.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 1st December 2011 at 00:12.
esteem_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 00:16   #5
BHPian

KlubClass,

Congratulations on your decision to buy the legendary S10

If you have the time & resources get the work done in Mumbai itself with a trusted mechanic. As you rightly said the parts can be directly sourced from Kava and you have the bonus of a great drive thrown in as well.

Pls post this query in Palio User Group as well so that the Mumbai guys can refer you to a trusted mechanic.

Last edited by lloydofcochin : 1st December 2011 at 00:25.
lloydofcochin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 00:31   #6

Hey Amith, You can use movers and packers and then get it serviced in your place in front of your eyes than servicing it and driving down.

Off topic: Should I still be waiting for you or do I go ahead with my plans of selling the S10
Hegdapo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 00:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

There are two options.
First through Team Bhpians of Mumbai locate a good Fiat garage and get the car repaired to your satisfaction. It would be easier to source spares in Mumbai than anywhere else.
Second, if you know any good, reliable and known workshop and spare availability is ensured drive down after a normal safety check ups.
Either way best of luck.
Waiting for initial and final pictures.

Last edited by rajeev k : 1st December 2011 at 00:54.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 01:02   #8
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations Klub Class, on your latest acquisition!

Let me take this moment to tell you what the Palio S10 meant to me.

There was a time, back in school, when I loved the Palio. I loved it to bits. And the S10 was the icing on the cake. No, not because it's yellow, or because it's a 100 bhp hot-hatch, it's because I'm a huge Tendulkar fan and the S10 sat in my dream garage as a tribute to the legend.

What I like the most about it? Well, I like all the little things that the S10 is known for. The S10 badging to begin with, and then the red 100 16V badge on the side flanks, the lovely widened-wheel-arches, and that snorty exhaust.

Little do people know, that Fiat actually tweaked the stock exhaust on the S10 to give it this lovely thrum while it idles, and a nice rorty sound when it's revved. It sounds different. I like it!

My dream garage, back in school, had a Fiat Palio S10 and a red Skoda Octavia vRS. Needless to say, I'd still be happy to have them.

Now back to your query.

I suggest you baby the hell out of the S10 till you get it back in top-condition. if the car doesn't feel up to the mark, then I suggest you get it moved by a Movers & Packers agency. Don't risk driving it 1200 km. Some times, even the best of cars have to deal with hiccups and niggles on such long drives, so I suggest you drive it only when it's in top working-condition.

Please don't forget to get your S10 detailed. It would be great to see that canary-yellow paint glistening in the sunlight, after detailing it, of course.

I'm a little envious now.

All the best with your new ride! Drive safe and buckle-up!
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 04:59   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Man . I often feel like buying an S10 here in Delhi. It was the only car I loved in my teens apart from the lancer.

I am sure, you will have a blast. Wish you miles of happiness.

For the car, find my replies below

Quote:
The car is in Mumbai and we're in Calicut. Put in other words, the car is ~1200kms away from us. That gives us two options
  • Drive the car all the way down after carrying out the necessary repairs and replacements.
  • Bring the car home via Movers & Packers.
You can drive it if the roads are of good condition. You will anyways end up with more than Rs.8k of fuel for driving 1,200 kms. If you get to pay anything under 15k and get it through movers and packers, I recommend you get it moved.

Quote:
As of now, we're more inclined in driving the car down rather then opting for Movers & Packers, just for the heck of it.
I am sure, but if the suspension/tyres are not in their best condition, you wont really enjoy your drive. I suggest you get the car is decent shape before you plan to drive.

A WORD OF CAUTION: check when the timing belt was changed. You may have checked another bhpian's thread who bought a vRS from another place and was driving it home, when the belt snapped, and heavily damaged the engine.

Quote:
I guess, few works need to be done on the car urgently to be on the safer side. Given my limited knowledge the things that needs urgent replacement are :
  • Belts
  • Filters
  • Throttle Body Cleaning(?)
  • Change Fluids after flushing
  • Tyres
  • OVRMs
  • Wiper Motor
  • Rubber Beadings
  • Strut Bushes
  • Headlights
  • AC Gas Top-up. May require some work as the car was left unused
I'd recommend you change all the fluids/ filters, check brake pads and tires and get the car to calicut. Get mineral oil for now and change it synthetic (if at all you are keen) after 5k kms. Get the rest of the stuff when you get home, until you plan to source them from Mumbai only.

If you want to get complete service, get injectors cleaned, spark plugs changed, alternator and ac belts changed and all the fuses checked.

Quote:
PS: Don't say things like : i) don't touch a pre-owned S10 even with a barge pole, ii) you'll end up spending more time sourcing parts rather then enjoying the car iii) Fiat A.S.S sucks a big time and blah blah. We really know what we're getting into.
Love such quotes, I tell you..:-D.

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st December 2011 at 12:10. Reason: Removing 3rd smiley ;)
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 05:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

Are / Were there any mods done on this car, or is the car stock till date?

Correct me if i'm wrong, aren't there only 500 S10 ever manufactured?
govigov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 09:07   #11
BHPian

Klub Klas if you are sure about procuring all parts(new or refurbished) in calicut then ship the car if not depending on where in mumbai the car is located i am sure you will find a bhpian there to help you out with the repairs that need to be done to it.
sierrakamat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 09:43   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Where can I get all these works done in Mumbai? Suggest me some good service centre/mechanics. Please provide the contact details, in case you've.
  1. Which brand synthetic oil and flushing oil is recommended? or Should I stick with mineral oil?
  2. Did I miss anything that needs to be replaced? If yes, please let me know.
  3. In worst case, if we opt for Movers & Packers, which one do you recommend?
Please check with BHPian "roms". He is a S10 owner from Mumbai and may be able to help you with the above questions, and also where to source the spare parts.

You can also join a couple of Yahoo groups which are a treasure trove of Fiat related info - PalioUsersIndia & FiatClubIndia. There's a good chance you'll get all the info you need there.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 11:38   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Amith,

Congrats on the purchase. The S10 ROCKS!!..

Now, the S10 should be an old car, and for any car 5+ year old, I wouldn't really advise driving it down(~1500kms) without a major service, unless its your own.

So, YES, a complete service which will include all the fluids, pads, bets etc changed is a must.

Buutttt.. Will you find a reliable Mech in Mumbai to carry these out? Also, driving down is economically senseless considering the current fuel costs and the infamous FE of the S10.

So, unless you are really looking forward towards the drivedown, it would only make sense to ship the car to Calicut, and carry out ALL the works from our own Kozikkodu. Any damages et al, while shipping can also be take care of, in one go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
1) charge ~8k. these rascals drive down from origin to destination. and of course, you don't know this until you check the odo.
8K to drive down an S10? Do a back of the envelope calculation to find out their expenses considering the fuel prices and FE of the S10. Its not possible.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 11:39   #14
BHPian

Amith,

I have sent you a couple of PM's with a contact in Mumbai.

Cheers
Lloyd
lloydofcochin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 12:18   #15
BHPian

Congrats buddy on your S10.
My suggestion is to use the packers and movers to transport it to your hometown and find a good mechanic.You can easily get all that you want shipped from Kava to your hometown.we are all doing the same here.

Covering 1200kms in an old used car with constant fear of "something might go wrong feeling" is not a good thing.
First impression is the best impression,so do not attempt such a long journey without proper service.
Good luck.
rock18 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks