Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2012, 20:15   #31
BHPian

Re: Gave my headlights a second life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by risham View Post
Did this affect the focus of the headlights?

I asked my mech to remove it. his assistant brought some thinner to remove it but the mech turned him away saying the thinner affects the focus of the lamps.
Thinner will not affect real glass. Polycarbonates and other plastics will be affected. The reflective surface too is sensitive to solvents.
Old 5th February 2012, 11:33   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basky View Post
Posting this for information only. This was found on the web. Copyright with original owners. The process is described too. Edit: The TBHP logo covers this information- 265 degrees F for 7 minutes

Attachment 875900
Basky this is uncured butyl which can be applied and heated. Butyl has VERY high tack/stickiness and can be used even for boat repairs etc. Before heating/during application it will be like putty / hard plaster-cine. Once heated, it cures/vulcanizes and will then retain the shape its been given - Like rubber.

Reheating in the oven / local heating will break the bond between the rubber and the lens, but I doubt this material is suitable for re sealing. It would be more advisable to use a fresh strip of butyl at the time of resealing.

I am talking about pure butyl compounds, not plastic blended ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by risham View Post
Hi,
Did this affect the focus of the headlights?
I ask this because I remember many years ago I took our maruti 800 with real glass lights for a service and it had a strip of black paint on top area of the glass.
I asked my mech to remove it. his assistant brought some thinner to remove it but the mech turned him away saying the thinner affects the focus of the lamps. Figured that even if the surface of glass is not perfect then it acts as a lens and disperses light.
If this guy buffs the surface of the plastic he may do the same.
+1 to what basky said. Thinner can melt the plastic lens and make it matt finish!!! Light abrasive buffing on the headlight lens should do more good than harm.

Last edited by AbhiJ : 5th February 2012 at 11:38.
Old 5th February 2012, 11:41   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Basky this is uncured butyl which can be applied and heated.
I am talking about pure butyl compounds, not plastic blended ones.
Thanks for the information. I am constantly mining for fresh information, most of it useless for now but will come in handy sometime or other - as with this. As you said, these will certainly be blended polymers using simple generic names like 'Butyl rubber'. Nice to have you as a sounding board.
Old 19th March 2012, 16:04   #34
BHPian

Hi All,

I had the same problem in my Baleno with a darkish black headlights and the performance was so pathetic with those headlights.

I went to the guy mentioned by the OP at JC Road, 3rd Cross and cleaned my headlamps. I must say that my headlamps are quite as good as new except for some hair-line cracks on the lens which he had informed in advance that it wont be removed with the treatment.

I have taken pics before being cleaned and am attaching them. I will post the cleaned headlights after taking some photos. Quality is low as it was taken in hurry using my BB vga camera.

not sure how to size them and hence uploaded as it is.

The shop is by the name of Western Motors, only problem i faced is that he took almost 4 hours to get the work completed.

Additionally, i had a winder problem on my RightHand RearWindow which was due to a cable being cut partially and the strands getting stuck in the cable system. The same guy arranged for two guys to come to his shop and get the cabling changed for me and he charged for 1200 for the window winder changes.

Regards,
Prashant Divakaran
Attached Thumbnails
Gave my headlights a second life!-img00075201203171253.jpg  

Gave my headlights a second life!-img00076201203171253.jpg  

prashant_dv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2012, 17:49   #35
BANNED

Fixing *scratched* headlamps!

Modern cars have clear headlamp fronts, which are usually mode of acryic. These tend to pick up micro-scratches with time. Is there a way of polishing them to remove these abrasions, as they tend to make the lights pretty ineffective. Headlamp assemblies are not exactly cheap.

Advise /help please!
Old 29th September 2012, 17:57   #36
Senior - BHPian

re: Fixing *scratched* headlamps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Modern cars have clear headlamp fronts, which are usually mode of acryic. These tend to pick up micro-scratches with time. Is there a way of polishing them to remove these abrasions, as they tend to make the lights pretty ineffective. Headlamp assemblies are not exactly cheap.

Advise /help please!
3M has a magic solution for the headlamps. Try any 3M outlet.
F150 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2012, 19:56   #37
Senior - BHPian

Formula 1 Scratch out - It even says "Clears Yellowed and Scratched Headlights"

Gave my headlights a second life!-f1scratch-out.jpg
dkaile is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 29th September 2012, 20:01   #38
BHPian

Had bookmarked the below link. I had ordered plastx from autofresh India and wanted to know how to use the same. Worked like a charm. The toothpaste trick didn't work out too well for me.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...Step-by-w-Pics)
Old 29th September 2012, 22:36   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Formula 1 Scratch out - It even says "Clears Yellowed and Scratched Headlights"

Attachment 993726
Even I was about to suggest Scratch Out the moment I read the opening post of this thread. It works wonders.

Slightly OT. This is one mighty multi purpose product. Removes several kinds of stains from various surfaces. Eg. removed OHP marker stains (previously smudged due to use of nail polish remover) from the woody material that is used to make keychains, and blue pen ink stains from a sandisk cruzer usb drive.

Coming back to topic, it works very well on headlamps. Removes almost all minor scratches, and brings on a very nice clear shine. Apart from this, it stays true to its name and removes a host of scratches (small or slightly more) from the car body.
Old 30th September 2012, 05:36   #40
Senior - BHPian

WARNING
The Scratch out product must be a 'cutting' compound which basically "buffs out" scratches by removing a thin layer of the paint/material.
If you're not skilled, you can damage the paint work of your car.
nitrous is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th September 2012, 09:28   #41
BANNED

Thanks folks. I now have three options PlastX, 3M solution, and scratchout. I will check on what is available. Scratch Out definitely is. I have to keep my old Santro for about a month and a half before (hopefully) I get a Brio AT. This information is very useful for many of us.

Thanksnitrous, I have used scratch out on paint work in the past, but it dried out so have none in stock.

This is increasingly becoming a problem with modern clear headlamps.

Last edited by sgiitk : 30th September 2012 at 09:32.
Old 30th September 2012, 11:19   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
WARNING
The Scratch out product must be a 'cutting' compound which basically "buffs out" scratches by removing a thin layer of the paint/material.
If you're not skilled, you can damage the paint work of your car.
That is true. It is actually a rubbing compound, which is basically an abrasive substance. However, it's degree of abrasion is significantly lesser that most rubbing compounds that are used in body shops and hence is more suitable for use by non-professionals, having lesser chances of causing damage to paint.

My suggestion would be to use as little of the substance as necessary, and you should be okay. In my opinion, you can actually cause some damage to your paint only if you are really really careless with the use of the product, not otherwise.
swarnava.m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2012, 17:35   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks folks. I now have three options PlastX, 3M solution, and scratchout. I will check on what is available. Scratch Out definitely is. I have to keep my old Santro for about a month and a half before (hopefully) I get a Brio AT. This information is very useful for many of us.

Thanksnitrous, I have used scratch out on paint work in the past, but it dried out so have none in stock.

I too would suggest you to use F1 Scratch Out. Its easier to work on, is reasonably priced & freely available. I have used this product for the same purpose & have found it to be quite effective. The main catch is to shake the bottle well, apply in circular motions for about 20 sec. & buff the surface with a clean cloth. It requires atleast 2 to 3 passes to obtain desired results.
Besides spending huge amount on Meguiar's PlastX & 3M isn't justifiable if you are going to sell the car.
Old 30th September 2012, 19:31   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

You can use the standard colgate white toothpaste too(not the gel ones). Just search for toothpaste headlamp repair on youtube.
dadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2012, 20:43   #45
Senior - BHPian

I have tried the toothpaste trick,and it seemed to work,though results were not too impressive,still one can give it a try.

I have also used 3M Finishing compound,it works as well,and no risk in using it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks