Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2013, 15:16   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Knocking at low rpm : Hyundai i10 AUTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesice View Post
For about a month I have been noticing a knocking / cluttering sound at around 1800 RPM especially in 3rd, 4th and 5th gears. I have been filling regular fuel from HP. Would an ECU upgrade fix this?
There is knocking in my dad's 2009 i10 Sportz and it happens when he lugs the engine in situations like you have explained above - low RPM in high gears. If the surface is not level or is not a downward slope the engine strains and it knocks.

Engines like the i10 Kappa and the Swift K are relatively higher compression engines (10;1 and higher) compared to the old and these engines doesn't like being lugged. If it knocks shift to the lower gear. 1800RPM in 4th and 5th gear on petrol motors like these are not good for engine life/efficiency. Even in 3rd gear engine speeds like 1800RPM is fine only when the surface is level or if its a slope. Another quick fix to cure the knocking is to turn off the AC momentarily till the engine climbs out of those low RPM.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2013, 16:13   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
There is knocking in my dad's 2009 i10 Sportz and it happens when he lugs the engine in situations like you have explained above - low RPM in high gears. If the surface is not level or is not a downward slope the engine strains and it knocks.

Engines like the i10 Kappa and the Swift K are relatively higher compression engines (10;1 and higher) compared to the old and these engines doesn't like being lugged. If it knocks shift to the lower gear. 1800RPM in 4th and 5th gear on petrol motors like these are not good for engine life/efficiency. Even in 3rd gear engine speeds like 1800RPM is fine only when the surface is level or if its a slope. Another quick fix to cure the knocking is to turn off the AC momentarily till the engine climbs out of those low RPM.
Thanks for the input. I always try to shift at around the 2K mark due to the newer i10s which have the gear shift indicator. The knocking sound is not so audible anyway. I can hear it only in noiseless empty roads. Anyway I'll try to keep the engine revs higher and update.
Old 17th January 2013, 21:45   #18
BHPian

Quote:
For about a month I have been noticing a knocking / cluttering sound at around 1800 RPM especially in 3rd, 4th and 5th gears. I have been filling regular fuel from HP. Would an ECU upgrade fix this?
eyesice - is yours AT or manual?
Old 17th January 2013, 23:38   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
eyesice - is yours AT or manual?
I have a manual transmission. 1.2 Kappa2 Magna
Old 18th January 2013, 11:27   #20
BHPian

Quote:
I have a manual transmission. 1.2 Kappa2 Magna
oh ok. For the AT, the following fixes are recommended

1. Disconnect battery for 10 minutes, reset ECU, drive around

2. If above doesn't work, try changing your regular petrol pump and see if there's a difference

3. If both fail, Hyundai has an ECM update which can be done in 5 min in HMP. You can call up Hyundai customer care and fix up an appointment. My fix for AT lasted for 11 months and now it's back.
Old 19th January 2013, 06:30   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
oh ok. For the AT, the following fixes are recommended

1. Disconnect battery for 10 minutes, reset ECU, drive around

2. If above doesn't work, try changing your regular petrol pump and see if there's a difference

3. If both fail, Hyundai has an ECM update which can be done in 5 min in HMP. You can call up Hyundai customer care and fix up an appointment. My fix for AT lasted for 11 months and now it's back.
ECU update. Been there done that. I have the sports AT

Last edited by genesis : 19th January 2013 at 06:33.
Old 19th January 2013, 12:39   #22
BHPian

Yes ECU upgrade will fix this...I had got it done myself last year and informed members of T-Bhp.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2651734

Having said that, I just got a service done about a month back and the engine knocking seems to have reappeared Probably some smart Alec in the service department of Safdarjang Hyundai did another reflash !
Old 19th January 2013, 19:24   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post
Having said that, I just got a service done about a month back and the engine knocking seems to have reappeared Probably some smart Alec in the service department of Safdarjang Hyundai did another reflash !
JishD: mine reappeared too. But it was gradual. No option but to get it done again!
Old 8th March 2013, 21:59   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post

Hey JishD, have you gone and flashed it again? I have just booked a 2013 I10 AT sportz this month and i don't know if they still haven't fixed the ECM problem so to speak.Its been 3 years since they launched the kappa 2 with AT and the knocking problem seems to be only with that engine gearbox combo.
Old 1st April 2013, 20:23   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitnallani View Post

Hey JishD, have you gone and flashed it again? I have just booked a 2013 I10 AT sportz this month and i don't know if they still haven't fixed the ECM problem so to speak.Its been 3 years since they launched the kappa 2 with AT and the knocking problem seems to be only with that engine gearbox combo.
I had been intending to do this ... But for some strange reason the knocking disappeared completely some weeks back. Need to check this for some more time now....
Old 1st April 2013, 22:14   #26
BHPian

I've been getting the same problem too. My i10 Auto's just been a little over 2 years old now and this is the 3rd time this issue has cropped up despite getting it re-flashed at Modi Hyundai twice during my regular services.

Despite the re-flash the knocking starts to crop up slowly and steady after a couple hundred kms.

I just don't understand what the problem is and why this issue isnt being sorted out by Hyundai

Last edited by funkydevil : 1st April 2013 at 22:15.
Old 2nd April 2013, 14:49   #27
BHPian

Our 4.5 year old, 33k kms run i10 AT is prone to knocking at low rpms when fuel is filled from not so reputed bunks. A full tank from a reliable bunk almost completely eliminates knocking.
Even though ours is a Kappa (not Kappa2) engine, and while it seems that this problem is widespread in the Kappa2 models, I suspect the fuel quality in many instances.
Old 28th September 2013, 22:13   #28
BHPian

Hi eyesice,
My Hyundai i10 sports Kappa 1.2 was also revving up between gears especially between 2nd and 3rd around 1500-1800 RPM. It shoots up by couple hundred RPMs. It was really annoying and strange. There were two accompanying problems as well. a clutter sound around 1200-1500 RPM in 3rd and 1500-1800 in 4th gear. I had complained about the same to the Service center but they were not able to diagnose the problem and tends to put the blame on driving style. I read about the ECU software update and requested it to be done. I was surprised to see that the reving problem and cluttering sound is now gone and FE also increased by few kmpl.

Best
-biju
Old 14th November 2021, 19:09   #29
BHPian

Bumping up this thread. i10 Auto, Went fine for about 70-80 km And then suddenly could feel vibrations in Accelerator and at low RPM engine switches off.Every traffic signal it switched off.Pushing full Accelerator doesnt do anything.Somehow with few pushes on Accelerator car moves but have to move at high speed.Low speed, again switches off.

Last time I went to Hyundai, they couldn't find anything.Difficult to demonstrate problem because it has happens mostly after long drives only two three times.

Pls suggest what could be Wrong.In usual 2-4 Km Runs I dont get this problem.

No warning light on dashboard .Using Same petrol pump for several years.Servicing was done regularly.

Last edited by manavdotcom : 14th November 2021 at 19:12.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks