Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2014, 11:32   #16

Re: Replacement of dented alloys in a brand new car

Thanks for all the responses. Yes, I am pushing for replacement as hard as possible.

Audi has not provided a written communique to state that repairing the dent would void warranty. Maybe I should push for that in writing. They have indeed communicated to me that the replacement of alloys is what needs to be done in my car (as a part of work and price estimates provided). They also told that there is no "de-dent" procedure internally available as a part of Audi body shop.

Today, Audi has echoed this back to the insurer again (verbally) and looks like the insurer is now slightly getting to back foot. They now are asking for "salvage cost" to be borne by me. I really do not understand what this is - perhaps I should read the policy again.

The insurance company in this case is Liberty Videocon.
Old 4th July 2014, 00:43   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshckr View Post
Thanks for all the responses. Yes, I am pushing for replacement as hard as possible.

Audi has not provided a written communique to state that repairing the dent would void warranty. Maybe I should push for that in writing. They have indeed communicated to me that the replacement of alloys is what needs to be done in my car (as a part of work and price estimates provided). They also told that there is no "de-dent" procedure internally available as a part of Audi body shop.

Today, Audi has echoed this back to the insurer again (verbally) and looks like the insurer is now slightly getting to back foot. They now are asking for "salvage cost" to be borne by me. I really do not understand what this is - perhaps I should read the policy again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
As Vikram said, repairing alloys makes it weaker. And it can be a safety issue as well o Indian roads.

Push for a full replacement.
+ 1 to the above. I suggest you to go for a full replacement of the alloys.

Can you please post few pics of the state of those wheels if you have?
Old 4th July 2014, 02:29   #18
BHPian

Quote:

The salvage charge is a scam. Nothing else.

Salvage is paid only when you take back the broken parts. It is not a mandate that you should take it, It is upto you whether or not to take the broken parts. You do not have a to pay a single rupee for salvage if you decide not to take the broken parts.

A Friend's honda city crashed and during the claim processing we were notified that salvage has to be paid by us though we had a 0 dip policy. Since it was a 0 dip policy, my friend went through the policy and found that salvage is not a mandate. It is basically the price you pay for taking the broken parts from the insurance company.

If your insurance surveyor denies this statement about salvage, Get a notary done that the insurance company does not follow any such salvage rules and it is a mandate that the buyer needs to pay for salvage. If the surveyor is sensible, he will not sign the notary. If he does, then he is doomed!

PS : Notary was the point which made my friend's surveyor step back and cancel the savage charges.
kingofmyworld is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th July 2014, 10:12   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
+ 1 to the above. I suggest you to go for a full replacement of the alloys.

Can you please post few pics of the state of those wheels if you have?

Here are some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Question about damaged alloy wheels & insurance-tyre-damage-4.jpg  

Question about damaged alloy wheels & insurance-tyre-damage-7.jpg  

rajeshckr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2014, 11:52   #20
Senior - BHPian

Repair is out of the question. A 4 month car does not deserve this treatment and at no cost should you be compromising on safety by giving into what crap the insurance company is saying. Am surprised how they even suggest getting something done outside of the authorized service center. BTW, the name of the insurance company doesn't sound very familiar to me and am hearing it for the first time. Is it only me ?
Old 4th July 2014, 13:04   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofmyworld View Post
The salvage charge is a scam. Nothing else.

Salvage is paid only when you take back the broken parts. It is not a mandate that you should take it, It is upto you whether or not to take the broken parts. You do not have a to pay a single rupee for salvage if you decide not to take the broken parts.

A Friend's honda city crashed and during the claim processing we were notified that salvage has to be paid by us though we had a 0 dip policy. Since it was a 0 dip policy, my friend went through the policy and found that salvage is not a mandate. It is basically the price you pay for taking the broken parts from the insurance company.

If your insurance surveyor denies this statement about salvage, Get a notary done that the insurance company does not follow any such salvage rules and it is a mandate that the buyer needs to pay for salvage. If the surveyor is sensible, he will not sign the notary. If he does, then he is doomed!

PS : Notary was the point which made my friend's surveyor step back and cancel the savage charges.
So here is another update. I played the Notary card.

Clearly, they did not want to give anything in writing. The guy started telling "This is how it works in all insurance companies...blah"

Finally I told him that either you give it in writing or I am not going to pay for it and hung the phone.

Now they called me again and said : "We cannot avoid putting the salvage cost. But you do not have to pay anything and we will sell it ourselves to cover the cost"

Clearly, they are under pressure from management to on record show the top management that they are pushing salvage cost to customer.

As long as I do not end up spending anything, I feel okay. But part of me says that I should insist on no savage put on record either - given that they tried to take me for a ride.

On a related note, Here is another issue I had to deal with Audi during this incident. Clearly things are not going all that smooth.

https://www.facebook.com/audiindia/p...72721306091374

Last edited by rajeshckr : 4th July 2014 at 13:19. Reason: Added a FB link on the incident
rajeshckr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2014, 13:38   #22
BANNED

Quote:
As long as I do not end up spending anything, I feel okay. But part of me says that I should insist on no savage put on record either - given that they tried to take me for a ride.
So any non-suspecting customer would have been taken for a royal ride using the 'salvage cost' name where the customer will have to believe as the car has to get in running.

What all tricks these guys get to squeeze out money!

By when are you expected to get the car back?

Anurag.
Old 4th July 2014, 16:22   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
By when are you expected to get the car back?

Anurag.
It is going to take like another week or so. Given that there were issues with Audi assist and few other issues I had to deal with when I bought the car, this time Audi was kind enough to give me a spare car - even though this is an accident (as against a warranty claim)
Old 4th July 2014, 18:43   #24
BHPian

Quote:
So here is another update. I played the Notary card.

Clearly, they did not want to give anything in writing. The guy started telling "This is how it works in all insurance companies...blah"

Finally I told him that either you give it in writing or I am not going to pay for it and hung the phone.

Now they called me again and said : "We cannot avoid putting the salvage cost. But you do not have to pay anything and we will sell it ourselves to cover the cost"

Clearly, they are under pressure from management to on record show the top management that they are pushing salvage cost to customer.

On a related note, Here is another issue I had to deal with Audi during this incident. Clearly things are not going all that smooth.

https://www.facebook.com/audiindia/p...72721306091374

Great! But why does salvage has to be mentioned in your claim when you are not paying for it? I'm not 100% sure whether or not that will impact you negatively in the future.

On a positive note, You just saved on salvage cost. See if you can manage audi guys and get some after market wheels . We did this on one of my friend's car and it works if you can manage A.S.S guys.
Old 4th July 2014, 18:58   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey my almost brand new BMW 320d faced the same issue a month back. Both the left side alloys had got bent in my case and the tyre was still intact. The insurance company took care of the alloys and they were replaced, no questions asked. So unless Audi categorically is telling you getting them repaired rather than replaced ( which they never will or can) , get them replaced. Your insurance has to cover it.

Here are the pics of my bent alloys: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3427750
Old 4th July 2014, 19:27   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
The insurance company took care of the alloys and they were replaced, no questions asked.
Thanks!

Which was your insurance company? I might junk this one after the first year. Or is there an option to switch over mid way?

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 5th July 2014 at 08:25.
Old 5th July 2014, 01:00   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks!

Which was your insurance company? I might junk this one after the first year. Or is there an option to switch over mid way?
Mine is ICICI. I don't think there is a provision in changing the company midway. Never heard anyone doing that. But these days there is hardly any difference between the companies w.r.t. what is covered and what is not. So you are just being taken for a ride by them. Be persistent and firm and they will do it as required.
Old 5th July 2014, 11:25   #28
BHPian

I guess Auto Insurance portability is possible now. However, I doubt the liability of an incident occurred in the last insurers tenure also gets transferred to the new insurance company.
Old 9th July 2014, 20:35   #29

Re: Question about damaged alloy wheels & insurance

So here is another update.

I got the car back fully repaired. Alloys and tires replaced (as against repaired). Moreover, no salvage was paid.

Thank you all! The responses certainly helped.

I will soon post another thread on some interesting issues that I have had with my A6.
Old 9th July 2014, 22:46   #30
BANNED

Quote:
So here is another update.

I got the car back fully repaired. Alloys and tires replaced (as against repaired). Moreover, no salvage was paid.

Thank you all! The responses certainly helped.

I will soon post another thread on some interesting issues that I have had with my A6.
If you don't mind can you tell us how the process was and how things went in your favour to get the issue solved altogether?

Anurag.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks