Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2012, 10:47   #16
BHPian

Re: Help! Fiat Punto Key Lost by service station

I appreciate all the help but I am a little confused now.I will recap the actions taken so far:

1. Wrote to Fiat in detail and asked them to expedite the code card so that the lost key can be disabled (Fiat Customer Care). Also asked them if the locks can be replaced under warranty.
2. Called up Fiat Customer Care twice yesterday to log a complaint but their systems were down. will retry now.
2. Had the dealer write to Fiat separately to expedite the code card (The dealer lost the original code card before the car was delivered to me. (VST Motors Chennai)
3. Had the Service Center that lost the key also write to Fiat to get the code at the earliest (Tafe Reach Chennai)
4. Called up my insurance company and asked them to document the incident and give me a service request number. Also sent them an email asking if a FIR needs to be lodged. Although, the customer care representative on the phone clarified that it is not mandatory to file a FIR.

I am not sure what you guys means by the following:
1. Change all the locks - Which locks need to be changed and why? The way I see it, once I get the code card; the lost key will be disabled. eventually, the new key will come from Italy and will be mapped to the ECU. The other secondary key that i am currently using, continues to be valid. So, why change the locks?
2. I did not get a response to my question if FIAT can immobilize the engine till the whole issue is sorted out.
3. What is Fiat's liability in the whole issue - their dealer lost the code card and their service center lost the key. shouldn't they be pro-actively get into some kind of damage control?

Last edited by Pedaltothefloor : 19th August 2012 at 10:50.
Old 20th August 2012, 09:18   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
I am not sure what you guys means by the following:
1. Change all the locks - Which locks need to be changed and why? The way I see it, once I get the code card; the lost key will be disabled. eventually, the new key will come from Italy and will be mapped to the ECU. The other secondary key that i am currently using, continues to be valid. So, why change the locks?
2. I did not get a response to my question if FIAT can immobilize the engine till the whole issue is sorted out.
3. What is Fiat's liability in the whole issue - their dealer lost the code card and their service center lost the key. shouldn't they be pro-actively get into some kind of damage control?
1. All Locks viz - Driver door, passenger door, Boot and steering column / ignition lock. In simple words all locks that your key can open. If you key is stolen wantedly, the thief can open the car and steal valuables or may even drive off the car, if the stolen key is active. Changing locks will ensure you get a new set of locks and keys, which renders the stolen/lost key useless.

2. No, Fiat Cannot immobilize the engine as such. They can disable the key which will prevent the stolen key from starting the car.

3. Fiat does/will not take any responsilibty. Fiat will wash all hands and at the max request the dealer to change the locks.

FIR would help you to be on the safer side IF your car is stolen. YOu would have to handover both keys to the insurance company. "Verbal" commitments hold no good. Either record your telephonic conversation with the Insurance person (who tells FIR is optional) on your smartphone OR visit the nearest office and get it in writing that your key is lost and its optional to file an FIR. The safest bet i would say is to file an FIR to be on the safer side. If its optional, no harm in filing one.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2012, 09:54   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.....somebody who went through a similar instance will come along and share some insight.
Count me in!

This trick worked for me when the dealer wrongly delivered one of the spare keys of my new car to some other person. And this was discovered almost after two years when the battery of the primary key died down.

Asked the dealer to sign an Indemnity bond in my favor for the car's value. Refused to move the car out of the dealership unless the bond is signed. The dealer did not budge.

However he sprang into immediate action (while keeping the car under tight security in the dealership) and traced the OP with my spare key and handed over it to me while I surrendered the OP's key that was lying with me. And all this happened within 8 hours flat.

At times you need to give a shock treatment to make people do their duty!
Warwithwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2012, 10:39   #19
Senior - BHPian

Your best option is to push the dealership to change all the lockset as suggested above and get new set of keys for yourself. That will bring peace fo mind for you and dealer has to pay for his mistake.
dadu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2012, 10:46   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Your best option is to push the dealership to change all the lockset as suggested above and get new set of keys for yourself. That will bring peace fo mind for you and dealer has to pay for his mistake.
I agree - Yes - follow this.

Over and above this - the dealer should bear the cost and NOT replace under your warranty/Insurance.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2012, 17:02   #21
BHPian

Re: Service Center misplaced my car key / remote : Now what?

Finally got a call as well as an email from the insurance company. They want me to file a FIR. I will go in a short while and file it.
Also received a response from Fiat but all it says is that the matter is co-ordinated with Tata dealer and backup will be provided shortly. I have no clue what that means as they did not answer any of my questions about replacing all the locks or replacing the key for free.

Lets wait and watch after filing the FIR.
Old 12th September 2012, 18:28   #22
BHPian

I want to thank everybody who took the time to post on this thread. I got all the locks changed free of cost by the dealer this weekend and got new keys, including the remote key. They also got the code from Fiat and disabled the lost key.
Once I spoke to the dealer about filling a FIR, they sprang into action pretty quickly. I also learnt that the insurance company will not admit any theft claim unless both the keys are surrendered.
Once again, thanks a lot.
Pedaltothefloor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2012, 12:45   #23
BHPian

Quote:
I want to thank everybody who took the time to post on this thread. I got all the locks changed free of cost by the dealer this weekend and got new keys, including the remote key. They also got the code from Fiat and disabled the lost key.
Once I spoke to the dealer about filling a FIR, they sprang into action pretty quickly. I also learnt that the insurance company will not admit any theft claim unless both the keys are surrendered.
Once again, thanks a lot.
Good!

Thank you for posting the final outcome. Obviously they should bear the head ache for their mistake.

My father actually lost our Ford Fiesta Remote key somewhere and just using the manual key as of now.

Ford dealer quoted:-
- Around Rs.5000 for another remote key which will be coded again (For PATS i believe) but the locks will still remain the same.
- Rs.8000 for the full locks set (Doors, boot, ignition set, 2 keys - 1 with remote and another manual) that will be registered with Ford against this car. Will take some weeks if not readily available. Could take upto ~ 5 hours to complete the work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101
Mustang.101
Hi Mustang,
- As a fellow Fiesta owner and associated with Ford, Can you tell me if the pricing sounds right and good to go by this option? if you are aware of that is.
- Even with my manual key, PATS works right?

It makes sense to go for the new set as 1). its only Rs.3000 more than the Rs.5000 JUST for the remote key alone and 2). the extra peace of mind.

Went through some UK forums on the replacement key and interesting to see if we have a key fob ready (ebay), we ourselves can reset the immobilizer code. But not secure enough to try out as the other locks would still remain the same.

Just wanted to share the info and pricing if it helps fellow BHP'ians.

Last edited by ganesc : 17th November 2012 at 12:52. Reason: corrected.
ganesc is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed