Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2012, 11:17   #16
BANNED

re: Skoda woes continues-2nd breakdown

hi
well not a expert but a simple thing could be done remove the battery wire for 3 minutes and connect back and check if the light so back
wont loose any warranty etc
regards
narry
Old 4th February 2012, 13:24   #17
BHPian

I bought a VW Polo 1.2 TDi in June 2010. This is the same engine shared with the Fabia. I faced similar problems- ECU errors. The dealer used to return my car after the required checks and repairs and I would repeat in a day or two. Software updates were done, ECU replaced. The solenoid in the turbocharger replaced twice. The turbo hose burst leading to drastic loss in power. This tested my patience. I refused to take my car back and the regional sales manager had to intervene. On his assurance, the job was done and given back to me and withing a week, the turbo hose goes bust..AGAIN! I demanded a replacement as the car was faulty since I bought it and I was given a standby car till the issue was sorted out. The issue was escalated to the top management in Pune and they has commissioned two VW engineers to look into the issue. Finally after a month my car was given back to me with an assurance that this would not repeat. The car finally felt nicer to drive and I was given a complimentary 2 year additional warranty. My car has been running good since and I've done 50000 Km without any hassles.

From this experience, I feel that the dealerships were not able to analyse the problem nor rectify a problem. When I took the car to the dealership when I felt there was extra vibration between 1800 to 2300 RPM, they simply couldn't analyse and tell- the car is fine. They just connect the car to the VAG system and say- NO error! There can be so many other mechanical problem that is no way connected to the ECU. This was in 2010 and all was solved by April 2011. My recent visit to the facility for 45000 KM service was good. They are better equipped to understand problems and feel more confident. A software update was done and when asked I was told it was a campaign for a certain batch of cars. I feel an overall improvement after the service.

My suggestion, if the problem repeats else you're not happy with the results please escalate to the higher authorities within the company like the regional sales manager. Don't give up without a fight!!
Old 4th February 2012, 14:42   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer_X View Post
Hello Guys,

I feel it is some issue with the ECU
Have you done any modification to the original ICE (changed it etc) or have you put in new horns / higher powered lights or done any engine modifications (chip etc) or done any other similar modifications to the car ?
Old 4th February 2012, 20:01   #19

I had a similar misfortune with my Fabia within 3 weeks of ownership. The engine oil warning light used to come up as soon as i would hit 2.5k rpm. I topped up thinking i got a car which was not topped with oil properly; but still the problem was not resolved so i took the car to the service station.

They connected the car to their VAG diagnostics computer but were not able to find the error. After the diagnostic was useless they manually inspected the engine. Lucky for me the problem was easily visible. A rat had chewed the wires!!

They quickly fixed the wires on the spot even though it was after 6pm and the service center was closing. Paid 1.5k which yes is on the higher side but i didn't mind it since they fixed it immediately.

Based on this experience i feel that the mechanics at the service center aren't well equipped to troubleshoot complex issues. However once they knew what the problem was the service was quite good.
Old 4th February 2012, 23:25   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer_X View Post
"Glow plug system" & "Engine Malfunction(Control System for exhaust)" errors started flashing.
Hi,

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but, usually the ECL glows when any sensors go kaput. Could you please confirm if they have plugged in an OBD/Diagnostic tool? And if any error codes showed up?
Old 6th February 2012, 10:36   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
Have you done any modification to the original ICE (changed it etc) or have you put in new horns / higher powered lights or done any engine modifications (chip etc) or done any other similar modifications to the car ?
No mods done at all. Stock elegance variant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamfall View Post
I had a similar misfortune with my Fabia within 3 weeks of ownership. The engine oil warning light used to come up as soon as i would hit 2.5k rpm. I topped up thinking i got a car which was not topped with oil properly; but still the problem was not resolved so i took the car to the service station.

They connected the car to their VAG diagnostics computer but were not able to find the error. After the diagnostic was useless they manually inspected the engine. Lucky for me the problem was easily visible. A rat had chewed the wires!!

They quickly fixed the wires on the spot even though it was after 6pm and the service center was closing. Paid 1.5k which yes is on the higher side but i didn't mind it since they fixed it immediately.

Based on this experience i feel that the mechanics at the service center aren't well equipped to troubleshoot complex issues. However once they knew what the problem was the service was quite good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Hi,

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but, usually the ECL glows when any sensors go kaput. Could you please confirm if they have plugged in an OBD/Diagnostic tool? And if any error codes showed up?
They haven't run any tests as far as I know. Will talk to my BIL regarding this.

Update:

The email to Skoda Aurangabad After Sales manager had its effect.
My BIL got a call immediately from Europa motors SA.

SA: Why did you write an email to Aurangabad stating ECU issue. It is nothing but some loose wiring. Now the issue will be a problem for me.

BIL : You should have informed what the issues was beforehand. You kept the car for 10 days and still did not tell me why the lights were flashing. I am not a mechanic/engineer, you are. I dont care what the issue is I need my car fixed, I have paid a premium for the top variant. Besides I don't want to talk to you pass the phone to your works manager.

(Call transferred to Yogesh who is WM)

Yogesh : Sorry for the inconvinience sir. We are working hard to fix your Fabia. We have received the mail from Aurangabad and our AGM has asked us to fix your car asap.

BIL : Its 10 days you don't even have the courtesy to provide a proper answer to my basic query - What the hell is wrong with my car??

WM : Sir, we are sorry about the issue and have got reprimended from the higher management. We will provide you with a Fabia immediately as alternate transport.

BIL : All said and done I want confirmation when my car will be fixed and want it delivered at my door step.

WM : Sir give us 3 days and we will fix the issue.

BIL : I will escalate even higher if the car is not delivered in the next 3 days.

WM : Sir the top management from Europa is making me a scape goat and will end up as an infraction in my appraisal.

BIL : hmm.. Get my car done in 3 days, or else be ready to receive one more sweet email from Skoda Aurabgabad and mental harrasment suit notice from my Lawyer.

WM : Dont worry Sir (scared voice), we will fix this.

After this within 2 hours alternate Fabia was provided along with assurance that his coar would be fixed in the next 3-4 days and delivered to his door step.

This is really a pathetic situation that these dealership guys take the customers to be fools and only when they get screwed from the top management guys, is when they come to terms.

The SA's attitude was sad considering that he is the go to guy in dealing with any mechanical/electrical issues. There is no sense of ownership and everybody is just passing the buck.

Will wait for 3 more days and then will fire another email to Skoda Aurangabad and also consulting my dad's lawyer for taking legal action, if required.

Last edited by Racer_X : 6th February 2012 at 10:38.
Racer_X is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2012, 11:24   #22

This clearly shows how the sloppy attitude of the Dealerships and service centers is majorly responsible for all the "Skoda woes". Skoda is learning its lesson the hard way by getting its brand value eroded at the hands of such unscrupulous dealers.

Good to see that finally your in-laws car is being taken seriously and that atleast Skoda itself cares about its customers.
Old 6th February 2012, 12:49   #23
BHPian

Congratulations on getting the problem solved.

It's unfortunate that you never get the service you're ENTITLED to unless you actually resort to escalation and/or threaten legal action. What's even MORE unfortunate is that the service advisor who gave you the runaround for more than 10 days actually feels aggrieved that you eventually escalated the issue.

I was looking at diesel sedans and had narrowed my choices down to either the Cruze or the Laura diesel. One of the factors against the Laura was deplorable Skoda's after-sales service. I had actually put up a thread on the 'What Car' forum here on TBHP, and a few people said that Skoda had sorted out their after-sales. Clearly, they haven't.
I'm really glad I picked the Cruze.
Old 6th February 2012, 12:53   #24
Senior - BHPian

Sid, firstly, I dont think it is right on Europa's part to keep a cusotmer hanging for 10 days, for no fault of his. He did take the right step in getting in touch with Skoda in Aurangabad.

Now, coming to the SA being made a scapegoat and all that, I dont believe thats true. The top management in Europa would surely have no clue in the problem. Its the SA's duty to make sure that any car is serviced in the right manner and time. If thats not done, then he bloody well is at fault. Regardless of where the car was bought from!

Coming to the problem in the car, what has been adviced by the rep?
When do the 3 days end?
Old 6th February 2012, 19:05   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

If a car guy's family has to go through this, I feel pity for the clueless layman who'd end up in a similar situation. My lawyer's daughter wanted a hatchback that is "stress-free" to own. I recommended the Swift & i10; she went and got the Fabia instead. 45 days later, she calls me and tells me she feels sorry for not adhering to my advice. Reason? Her month old car stalled in Bandra.

Not saying other brands don't have issues, but for the small volumes that Skoda does in India, the ratio of troublesome : troublefree cars isn't in the brand's favour. They are in the news way too often, and usually for the wrong reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamfall View Post
This clearly shows how the sloppy attitude of the Dealerships and service centers is majorly responsible for all the "Skoda woes".
What if the cars didn't fail in the first place? Trouble-free ownership starts at the factory that should build reliable cars. The brand and its dealer get equal blame in this instance.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2012, 19:32   #26
BHPian

@racer_X, Any update on the issue, as it's been a month almost. Do post end result as this will help many Skoda owners. Hope you had a satisfactory resolution to your problem.
Old 7th March 2012, 11:08   #27
BHPian

The issue was with the wiring harness and some connection issues with the ECU. The car has been serviced.

The funny part was these Skoda guys wanted my brother in law to pay 1000 bucks as servicing and parking charges. Obviously we didn't pay a dime and told them that we will again report to Skoda Aurangabad. They apoligised saying it was a billing mistake and that everything was covered under warraty. These buggers wanted to make a quick buck even when everything was covered under warranty. Its pathetic
Old 7th March 2012, 11:23   #28
Senior - BHPian

Sid, I think the root of this problem is in lack of professionalism in this field. How many dealers/ SAs have a genuine understanding of the field and the professionalism required in such an area?
Like someone has already pointed out, lack of ownership and the chalta hai attitude is hurting the Indian consumer. If there was adequate legal backing in terms of legal suits, then everyone would be alert enough to provide good service in the first instance. Here there is nothing to fear other than an odd admonishment from higherups. However, I know of some who are now immune to this too. Or some higher ups who dont bother at all.
I hope your BIL gets his issues resolved and that he doesnt have to make another unscheduled visit to the Skoda A.S.S.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2012, 14:51   #29
BHPian

Skoda woes continue - 2nd breakdown

Guys after the wiring harness and some connection issues with the ECU, the car was working fine, till last last week when on evening the car would not start at all. I asked him to call up Skoda roadside assistance (RSA) no. and get help.

The RSA guys were extremely prompt and got the break down spot with jump start kit, thinking that the battery has been discharged. Later on they said that it looks like a fuel pump issue and something seems to have gone wrong with the relay.

The flat bed was called and the car was taken to Asset Auto's service station at Shivajinagar Pune. The SA called up my BIL and said that the car has reached the service station and that we can come and meet them the next day to discuss the issue.

We went the next day to the service station. The SA was disinterested in explaining anything and said that the car has not been evaluated and the scanning needs to be done to diagnose the issue and that he would let us know day after. We told him that please help us with the service manager's cell no. again this guy was reluctant saying the manager is busy in a meeting and that his no. has changed and he will sms the no. to us later in the afternoon.

We told him we are not leaving unless we meet/talk to some one higher up.. Finally he called the customer care manager. This lady apologized for the issue and said that since there was too much load for servicing and that they followed a first in first out policy, it would take a while to diagnose the issue. We exchanged nos. and she said she would call back with the details of the problem by Monday evening (today).

What really is annoying and surprising is that how can a car merely run for 15,000 km have 2 breakdowns in a gap of 6 months. The attitude by the SA hired by Asset Auto is pathetic.

Will update once I come to know about the car from the Customer relationship manager.
Old 10th September 2012, 20:42   #30
BHPian

Re: Skoda woes continues-2nd breakdown

The update is that they have not found anything after the scanning process and will be doing a thorough investigation and will let us know in 2 days time.

Most Viewed