Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2006, 15:02   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
It allows to set the temperature inside the cabin (a crude version of the Climate Control feature) and I would assume that it is linked to the thermostat to cut off the AC when the set temp. is reached.
That is not true. Thermostat in manual AC is used just to avoid freezing of evaporator (cooling coil), not for temperature control. Cold air is mixed with hot air to control the temperature (using blue-red knob). Refer to the thread link posted by me a while ago, there you can find a good description of how manual AC system in "most" cars works...
Old 23rd June 2006, 15:48   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If you need fresh air, switch to "recirculatory" mode. But then cooling efficiency goes down.
I think you said that the wrong way around...

cya
R
Old 23rd June 2006, 16:00   #18
BHPian

quote=supremeBaleno]fresh air,................ [/quote]

in delhi ???
Old 23rd June 2006, 16:23   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s
That is not true. Thermostat in manual AC is used just to avoid freezing of evaporator (cooling coil), not for temperature control. Cold air is mixed with hot air to control the temperature (using blue-red knob). Refer to the thread link posted by me a while ago, there you can find a good description of how manual AC system in "most" cars works...
Which part of it ? I am sure that it is a temperature control lever which is used to control the temp. of air coming out of the outlets. If this setting decides the temperature, would it not be linked to the thermostat so as to cut off the compressor when the particular temp. has been reached. Though I am not really sure about the thermostat part which was why I mentioned "I would assume ....".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan
I think you said that the wrong way around...
Oops, yes. It should be "fresh" mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcanthisbe
fresh air,................ in delhi ???
Well, most Indian cities would fare the same. I would assume Delhi to be better than Chennai due to the CNG use in public transport - atleast thats what we read in the papers.
Old 23rd June 2006, 17:15   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Which part of it ?
I assume you are asking about "which part of it is protected from freezing", right?
It is the place where the actual air cooling happens. That thermostat does not sense the temperature in the cabin or even at air vents. It is set to something like +4 deg. C.! below which the compressor is switched off to avoid further damage.

Quote:
I am sure that it is a temperature control lever which is used to control the temp. of air coming out of the outlets. If this setting decides the temperature, would it not be linked to the thermostat so as to cut off the compressor when the particular temp. has been reached. Though I am not really sure about the thermostat part which was why I mentioned "I would assume ....".
It should be linked to thermostat, but it seems only climate control systems actually do that. In normal systems, the lever just adjust relative proportion of hot and cold air thereby "controlling" the temperature. I think it may "indirectly" affect on/off switching of the compressor, though. Because, depending on the setting, you may draw more or less volume of air from AC side.
Old 23rd June 2006, 17:44   #21
Senior - BHPian

I guess you are right there. The lever just controls the mixture of hot and cold air and might not really be playing a role in thermostat control.
Old 23rd June 2006, 19:12   #22
Senior - BHPian

SB, now that we are on the same page, let me ask you a few questions- do you frequently use the temperature control, or just leave it at max. cool? If you do use it, did you ever notice temperature considerably fluctuating between hot and cold, forcing you to fiddle with settings once in a while? (especially when you feel like setting the temp. knob close to middle area, I mean when you want just "a little bit" cooling, not much?) If you did, then I think you must go through the "heater" thread link that I had mentioned, and see if we can actually improve it by playing some tricks
Old 23rd June 2006, 19:47   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s
SB, now that we are on the same page, let me ask you a few questions- do you frequently use the temperature control, or just leave it at max. cool? If you do use it, did you ever notice temperature considerably fluctuating between hot and cold, forcing you to fiddle with settings once in a while? (especially when you feel like setting the temp. knob close to middle area, I mean when you want just "a little bit" cooling, not much?) If you did, then I think you must go through the "heater" thread link that I had mentioned, and see if we can actually improve it by playing some tricks
I usually leave it at max cool, with the fan setting set to 1. This is usually more than enough for me during the day. But in the evenings when I leave for home, this setting is a little cold for my comfort. So initially I would try to slide it away from the max. cool position, but did not see much difference in cooling. So what I do currently in the evenings is keep the settings same as during the day or toggle the AC button once in a while.
Let me have a look at the thread you mentioned and get back on this.
Old 28th June 2008, 15:38   #24
BHPian

Can this happen?

Just curious to know,
can I get Climate control installed in Aveo?

Just came across the Chevy Pakistan website & they have Climate control in Aveo. Looks just like what we have in New Optra Magnum.

One more question is - Can climate control be installed in any car like Fiesta, Fusion, Getz, or Palio?

Cause I am mostly willing to go for a diesel car (except Aveo). any one of the above but Climate Control is my major requirement.
Old 28th June 2008, 23:57   #25
BHPian

Guys 2 pages yet no definative answer on the technical aspects of cooling procedures vis a vis normal AC and climate control! My take on it.(layman terms) My zen normal AC cools and cools(did not find compressor cut off). Find less engine lag on blower setting 1 than on 2 and 3. Dunno if thats just perception. Swift Zxi climate control, set the temperature, blower goes on highest setting and lowers gradually until the input temperature is acheived. Whats the funda?
Old 29th June 2008, 01:09   #26
BHPian

the main diference between an A/c and Climate control is that in climate control u can manually set the desired temperatuer u want in the cabin of the car,like say 22 c and once the cabin reaches that temperature the compreossor cuts of.
but in a regular A/c since mostly the temperature knob is set to full,so the compressor never cuts off.
Old 4th July 2008, 00:41   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_fonseca View Post
My take on it.(layman terms) My zen normal AC cools and cools(did not find compressor cut off).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab1xlr8 View Post
but in a regular A/c since mostly the temperature knob is set to full,so the compressor never cuts off.
AFAIK, this could be a myth. Even normal A/C does have a cut-off point, only that it is fixed to a temperature that happens to be close to 0 degC. Without that, it can completely freeze the evaporator and form ice all around it to eventually block air flow altogether and even damage the system. It is possible that if the A/C is not powerful or efficient enough to ever bring temperature down to such a low level, it may not require a cut off. Just may be, especially when atmosphere is hot.
Old 5th July 2008, 13:59   #28
BHPian

I believe that in a normal A/C, the only control is the on-off control of the compressor. In this case, the temperature sensor is positioned close to the cooling coil and it cuts out the compressor in the region of about 4 degs simply to prevent ice formation in the cooling coils. (I did once face this problem long ago in my Maruti 800 where suddenly all cooling would stop [ice being a bad conductor of heat - remember eskimos with their igloos?]. Once it even spat out chunks of ice on to my face through the louvers.) The down side is that the system does not adjust itself to compensate for heat conditions outside as it is blissfully unaware of the actual temperature inside the cabin. Therefore one has to keep changing the settings from a hot day to a cool evening or night to maintain a comfortable temperature in the cabin.

A climate control has more sophisticated control circuitry built in, and the important difference is that the system senses temperature from inside the cabin (and not just from the cooling coils - though this is also present for limit setting) and thus works to set the cabin temperature at the desired value instead of the cooling coil temperature. Hence this system can compensate for the effects of external factors like outside temperature and the heat transmitted inwards through the glass areas and the body.

This is how I understand the systems. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 6th October 2009, 12:54   #29
Senior - BHPian

Reviving an old thread.
I happened to see a new Cedia Sports.

Now this car's specs mention Climate Control. It has 3 knobs. One each for blower direction, fan speed and temperature.

The question is - when can one say that a car has climate control ? Is it only based on the criteria mentioned below?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.H.Shankar View Post
A climate control has more sophisticated control circuitry built in, and the important difference is that the system senses temperature from inside the cabin (and not just from the cooling coils - though this is also present for limit setting) and thus works to set the cabin temperature at the desired value instead of the cooling coil temperature.
Or
Does a CC by definition also need to automatically control fan speed for eg in the Baleno/Swift (this surely does not happen with the Cedia type of CC - although I did not test it).

Or
Does a CC by definition additionally need to sense air quality and automatically control fresh air/recirculate mode?

Are the above just variations of CC? Can a manufacturer claim to have CC installed only if they have temperature being monitored and regulated using sensors in the cabin?
Old 8th October 2009, 13:30   #30
Senior - BHPian

AC vs climate control

There was a time when having an AC in your car was a big luxury atleast in our country. We were left at the mercy of the weather to decide whether we could be cool or sweat it out. Almost all of us who own a car (or even if you dont own one) have been around in the good old Padminis and Ambys with our windows rolled down and the quarter glasses open. Those who did go that extra mile to get a retro fitted AC would end up giving their car a hot time.

Time has flown by and the car air conditioner has become a standard fitment on cars sold in the country. There are still a few with a non AC option but that ratio is less compared to the ones with AC. The Indian car buyer has changed over the years. The other goodies can wait but an AC is a must have. With new cars comes new technology and now we have something known as an Automatic Climate Control(ACC) with our car AC. And today if your car doesnt come with ACC, the car buyer blames the manufacturer for being stingy not to offer it. No surprise as one always wants more value for his buck these days.

So what is the difference between a standard car AC and one which comes with Automatic Climate Control? A simple explaination

Standard Car AC:

AC vs climate control-carac.jpg

This is what your standard Car Airconditioner control unit looks like (See Illustration). To use the AC, all you do is turn the Blower Speed Adjust knob and set it to a blower speed of your choice. There is a resistor in the blower switch which helps in setting the various blower speeds. Press the AC Switch to start the AC. In a standard AC you have a temperature knob which you use to maually adjust the temperature you desire in the car (coldest to left and hottest to the right as in the illustration). In short each and every setting is done manually with no inputs from the car whatsoever.

Automatic Climate Control or ACC:

AC vs climate control-climatecontrol.jpg

Things are different when it comes to ACC. Here is what a typical ACC layout in a car looks like(see Illustration). You can use the ACC in the following ways:

1. Just press the AUTO. Everything else is taken care of automatically.

OR

2. Press AUTO and set the temperature using the temperature control( you can see the temperature on the display screen). Climate control will maintain this temperature by continually varying the blower speed and temperature.

OR

3. Start your blower using the blower speed switch and press the AC button to start your AC. After that use the temperature control to set the temperature you require in your car at all times. You will see the set temperature on the display screen.

Net net, the main difference between Climate Control and an air-conditioner is the former's ability to continually & automatically vary cold / hot air + blower speed to maintain the set (and accurate) temperature.

Now how does it work? Once the AUTO button pressed, a module in your car's on board computer comes to life to maintain the set temperature inside the car at all times. This is done by a combination of cold air from the air conditioner and hot air from the heater. Your blower speed is also controlled by a speed controller present in the climate control module. The controller increases or decreases the blower speed automatically. This does away with the regular resistor system leaving you to do the driving.

Nowdays ACC also comes with 'dual zone' or 'four zone' options. In dual zone, the driver and the front passenger can select two different temperature settings which create two different climates in the same car. Four zone takes the split even further by allowing each of the 4 occupants in the car to have different temperature settings (except the middle passenger in the rear seat).

Last edited by GTO : 10th October 2009 at 13:09. Reason: Additional point
Dippy is online now   (13) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks