TurboJet 8 3.72%
Power 16 7.44%
Voters: 215. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2006, 17:57   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Rocam
I use combination of Speed & Speed 97 with 75 % tank fill with Speed & rest 25% with Speed 97, This combination works great with my engine & i have standardized on this. I havent tried with HP or IOC cause they dont have 97oct fuel.
hi ford rocam planning to try out ur recipe what advantages did u find with this recipe
Old 16th April 2006, 00:09   #32
BHPian

Initally I was using Speed, but now using Shell. Traveling about 8 km extra to fill from the Shell pump at Yeswantpur. In my experience it is better than Speed - the engine is smooth and the FE also increased. On two different occasions I had tried Speed 93, with the same result that the car's power appeared to be reduced, and it stalled at traffic lights. Never tried Speed 93 again.
BTW, should we do an ECU reset when changing from one brand of fuel to another?
Old 17th April 2006, 09:30   #33
Senior - BHPian

Can you do a ECU reset Just like that ???
Old 17th April 2006, 09:52   #34
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat
Disconnect the battery for 5-10mins (thats the theory part)

I tried it a couple of times.... didn't make a difference

I think ECU adjusts automatically... we do not need to reset it.

I am so used to my Wagon R that if someone else has driven the car for 40-50kms.... I can feel it when I drive it subsequently. Then the ECU readjusts to me in a while.

After filling up a tank of speed 93 the difference in my car could be felt within 2-3kms (though my tank had 6-7liters of regular petrol before filling up speed 93)
Old 17th April 2006, 09:52   #35
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat
Yes u can .. Just disconnect the battery for 10 mins , then plug it back on and drive the way u want to .. I mean in mileage mode or in rally mode for about 5 kms .. Ur ECU learns this ..
Old 17th April 2006, 22:21   #36
BHPian

ECU reset (as mentioned by SLK and mclaren) actually works for my car. In fact I do it whenever I clean the air filter/change oil. Sometime back the car started running quite rough for no reason. Close inspection showed no anomalies except a slightly loose lambda sensor. Tightened it, and did an ECU reset..voila! the engine smoothness came back.
After reconnecting the battery I take very special care not to rev the engine hard for the first two km so that the ECU learns my driving pattern. This precaution + shell petrol works great..IMHO all guys in Bangalore should blindly go for Shell..you'll get addicted..
It seems the ECU controlled cars are really a different ballgame compared to the carburetted ones. When I drive our other car (M800, carb) no need to wrack brains with thoughts of ECU and learning curves..and I can maintain it myself to a good extent! In the Uno I don't have the guts to remove the throttle body to clean it - the orange injector on top has a menacing look!
Old 18th April 2006, 00:44   #37
BHPian

well actually , this poll should not count Shell/Relaince petrol, Unfortuanately as Shell or reliance don't seem to have that many outlets..in many cities up north..Actual comparision could be done of Xtra Premium/Speed/ Power as these brands are available everywhere and almost everyone may have tried these at least once or more..!
BTW why has Turbo Jet been included, are we comparing only Petrol or Diesal also..!
Old 18th April 2006, 09:52   #38
BHPian

I have been using Speed , Speed 93 and when it was stopped moved to Xtra-premium and lately Shell's Super unleaded.

The only problem i am facing with Super unleaded is that the engine is not as smooth as it was for XTRAPREMIUM and cold start takes 2-3 pulls. Suspecting my car, to check i switched back XtraPremium, immediately the car was silky smooth and the very next morning engine would fire up in one pull.

Any shell user's facing this issue????

I would put this way, SUPER UNLEADED is the most responsive fuel in it's category and XtraPremium can't be beaten in smoothness.

Also please suggest me whether i can use Speed 97 in my Swift?
Old 18th April 2006, 11:33   #39
BHPian

Ur absolutely right about XtraPremium... it smoothens your ride out...

and is pretty responsive too.. atleas compared to BP...
Old 18th April 2006, 12:40   #40
BHPian

i would love to use a higher octane fuel but i heard the engines in cars for india have been specially calibrated to run on lower octane fuels so higher octane might be damaging......
Any thoughts on this anyone??
Old 18th April 2006, 12:49   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeman
i would love to use a higher octane fuel but i heard the engines in cars for india have been specially calibrated to run on lower octane fuels so higher octane might be damaging......
Any thoughts on this anyone??
In lay mans terms.......your immune system can take normal tap water but drinking mineral water cant cause any harm either.
For some smaller engines higher octane might make no difference in performance so its useless but it definatly cant do any harm to it if you were to use it.

Last edited by Sahil : 18th April 2006 at 12:50.
Old 18th April 2006, 12:59   #42
Senior - BHPian

I have tried following so far:
  1. BP Speed: Doesn't make any difference. If at, may be psychological.
  2. HP Power: This is best so far. Again, don't know if it makes any significant difference, but I find it better than Speed and I do get good FE.
  3. IOC XtraPremium 91Octane: Had horrible experience. Just didn't make any difference. In last 15 months, only once car FE dropped below 10. That is when I used XtraPremium last month. Promptly, switched back to Power.
  4. Reliance: They didn't have any variant other than unleaded. But the results are good again. Now a days, I try to fill up on Reliance pumps on highways.
  5. HP Unleaded : This is good either.
  6. HP Unleaded + System G: This is latest I am trying and I find it really good. It clearly is the best fuel, I have tried so far and certainly plan to stick with it if I get same results over long period. Engine runs sooo smooth. Recommended by Fiat service manager as well.
Old 18th April 2006, 13:11   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil
In lay mans terms.......your immune system can take normal tap water but drinking mineral water cant cause any harm either.
For some smaller engines higher octane might make no difference in performance so its useless but it definatly cant do any harm to it if you were to use it.
True - but lets say the immune system gets used to mineral water with zero impurities, and breaks down when one does drink tap water ....

Hope its not this way with these newer engines which have been 'adapted' to indian fuel conditions, but one cant say for sure ...
Old 19th April 2006, 03:45   #44
BHPian

I started with Shell Premium on my Swift. After sometime I shifted to HP Power. I have not seen any difference in the mileage with both these fuels. I am continuing with power because the Fuel station is closer to where I live and also I don't end up paying the extra service charge on my ICICI credit card (ICICI/HP infact returns some money every month). I haven't tried Speed yet on the swift but it didn't seem to suit my earlier Wagon R (delayed cold start). I settled with xtra Premium for the Wagon R.

There's something I found a little odd and would like to know if anybody else has faced something similar. The mileage I get if I top-up from a half tank seems to be more than if I do the same from the empty tank. I have been maintaining the entire history of refueling and found this odd. Is there any particular reason?

Also, the fuel efficiency is dependent on the Tyre Pressure. Maruti reccommends 29 psi for the Swift ZXi in city and has specified in the manual that it can be increased by upto 5 psi for highway driving (Tubeless Tyres). Currently I maintain 34 psi even in city with negligible difference in the drive comfort. So, is there any reason why Maruti reccommends 29 psi in the first place for the R14/70/185 tyres that they provide with the Swift ZXi ?
Old 19th April 2006, 03:57   #45
BHPian

Oh yeah !

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$#
I voted for Shell as I run my esteem on Shell Super petrol.
Shell(atleast in Bangalore) has set a standard and has changed the entire experience for a person going to a petrol pump for a refill. They greet you with a Namaskar, always give you a bill and the Quality and Quantity are very good.

Is this the same in other cities as well, I really hope it is and other oil companies should follow suit.
I used the SHELL pump in White Field... Rather a very good service...
Wow !

Most Viewed