Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2012, 22:26   #1
BHPian

Low seat height

I have a Chevy Spark and I use it mostly for city driving.Rarely I go on highway drives to Bangalore.
The seat position is low when compared to M800 which I owned till recently.
I need to push back the seat to the max,as otherwise I get pain in thigh joint and ankle.While parking or taking car out of basement garage up the ramp,due to low height I find it difficult.
Now,what I would like to ask you guys is,is there any way to increase the height of seat or any height adjustment fixture could be fitted for the seat?
Has any one faced similar prob?
I am 5'8"
Thanks
Old 6th April 2012, 22:48   #2
BHPian

Re: Low seat height

You could try putting a pillow/cushion or two onto the driver seat. That should raise the height enough. Although, I must say, having driven the Spark myself, I found the seat height quite comfortable, and had none of the issues that you have mentioned above. I am 5'8" too..
swarnava.m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2012, 05:03   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgopal View Post
I need to push back the seat to the max,as otherwise I get pain in thigh joint and ankle.While parking or taking car out of basement garage up the ramp,due to low height I find it difficult.
Max position is for those endowed with long legs. And pain in the thigh/ankle region is more due to the angle of your leg, rather than seat height. Have you tried pulling the seat closer (than your old M800 setting) to the steering wheel? This could solve both your parking and leg pain issues.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2012, 08:08   #4
BHPian

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
You could try putting a pillow/cushion or two onto the driver seat. That should raise the height enough. Although, I must say, having driven the Spark myself, I found the seat height quite comfortable, and had none of the issues that you have mentioned above. I am 5'8" too..
Thanks.Yes ,I will try using cushion to raise height.Hope it will solve the issue.
thanks swarnava.m for taking your time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Max position is for those endowed with long legs. And pain in the thigh/ankle region is more due to the angle of your leg, rather than seat height. Have you tried pulling the seat closer (than your old M800 setting) to the steering wheel? This could solve both your parking and leg pain issues.
You could be right! Actually,I used to push back the seat instead!By pulling it closer ,the problems will be solved.
thanks smartcat, for the suggestion.

Last edited by GTO : 7th April 2012 at 11:29. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 7th April 2012, 11:28   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Related Discussions : Thread 1 and Thread 2.

Most modern cars, due to enhanced safety standards, don't give the frontal visibility of the older-gen automobiles. To those who face an issue, I'd recommend getting used to the seating position first (instead of looking at alterations). Test a car thoroughly before buying it and if the problem is severe, choose the variant with seat-height-adjustment. If it's an existing car, then try beefing up the seat base at a local upholstery shop.

If you end up with the last option, don't overdo the correction, else it can result in ergonomic issues.

Last edited by GTO : 7th April 2012 at 11:31.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2012, 13:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

I understand that your car doesn't have seat height adjustment. That would have really helped.
Some cars inherently have wrongly positioned (too close to the body) pedals which create a acute angles in the knee and ankle. Pushing back the seat to some extent and raining the seat height (by adding extra cushion. But this has to be a expert job) a bit can help.
Pushing the seat way back also can result in other ergonomics problems as one has to stretch for the steering wheel and the gear (for 1st, 3rd gears).
One tends to lean forward a bit which can result in back pain.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2012, 13:48   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgopal View Post
I have a Chevy Spark and I use it mostly for city driving.Rarely I go on highway drives to Bangalore.
The seat position is low when compared to M800 which I owned till recently.
Now,what I would like to ask you guys is,is there any way to increase the height of seat or any height adjustment fixture could be fitted for the seat?
Has any one faced similar prob?
I am 5'8"
Thanks
Since you recently changed your car to Spark, I guess it is just a matter of getting used to the new car. Spark with its inclined windshield along with a thickish A-piller will give anyone switching from M800 a sense of low visibility. Use the mirrors effectively for parking. Move your head around those A-pillers while navigating turns or approaching junctions. Adjust your seat for the best comfortable driving.

I too faced the same issue when I upgraded from M800 to Palio, and i too contemplated using a cushion. But in a matter of time, i got used to it. Now, I feel it was good that I did not go for a cushion, otherwise I would have got 'addicted'.
bejoy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2012, 18:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

People are right in what they has said about getting used to the seating position. I'm short in stature myself and switched from swift to vento. Swift with its beautiful driving position gave a commanding view of the road ahead, whereas the vento with its high set dashboard was really pathetic to begin with. Though the car had height adjust, it was still no where close to the comfort I had in the swift.

But then having got used to this for more than 6 months now, I dont feel this way anymore. I'd suggest you to wait a while before taking a decision.
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2012, 16:00   #9
Senior - BHPian

Where do I get a good car seat cushion in Bangalore ?

Feeling a lack of under thigh support on long drives in my Punto.

Visited a few upholstery stores but the stuff they have is more suitable for sofas, diwans etc. but not cars.
Old 15th October 2012, 16:16   #10
Senior - BHPian

look for a car upholstery shop. they're the one's who do this sort of stuff
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 10:25   #11
BHPian

Hello everyone, I own a Toyota Yaris and I am too facing the problem of low seat height for the passenger seat. It doesnt have height adjusters and it is kept so low that when my wife sits there she can barely see above the dashboard. This is making her claustrophobic and nauseous after long drives. We tried using a cushion pillow and it seems to be messing with the passenger weight sensor. When she sits with the pillow on, the seat belt reminder for the passenger never comes up even if she is not wearing the belt. I feel this is due to the weight sensor not sensing her weight due to the pillow. Any suggestions for a method to increase the height without affecting the safety? Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks