Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2012, 19:05   #1
BANNED

Why do Rolls Royces "lean back"?

I cannot tell if it is the design at the coach line.

The ride height definitely seems to be lower at the back. And I have seen Phantoms in motion so it's not just the picture effect or the angle of the camera .

I'm guessing the rear suspension must be very soft for comfort(obviously), therefore, perhaps when it's loaded the rear drops a bit?

Or is it a Rolls Royce thing that is part of their design philosophy? Or could it just be an illusion?
Attached Images

D33-PAC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2012, 19:13   #2
BHPian

Re: Why do Rolls Royces "lean back"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
I cannot tell if it is the design at the coach line.

The ride height definitely seems to be lower at the back. And I have seen Phantoms in motion so it's not just the picture effect or the angle of the camera .

I'm guessing the rear suspension must be very soft for comfort(obviously), therefore, perhaps when it's loaded the rear drops a bit?

Or is it a Rolls Royce thing that is part of their design philosophy? Or could it just be an illusion?
I think it has an air suspension or at least magnetic, which maintains ride height no matter the load. Further more it is chauffeur driven (mostly) so hardly matters if the back droops. I may be wrong but i have noticed this bit too.
Old 15th April 2012, 19:37   #3
BHPian

I'm not claiming that I know the reason but here's my assumption- it's to liberate more window area while still retaining aerodynamics. Take Swift for example-

1. Suzuki Swift

Why do Rolls Royces "lean back"?-0.jpg

2. Roof slants towards rear to help in aerodynamics

Why do Rolls Royces "lean back"?-1.jpg

3. Door also slants upwards leading to poor window area resulting in claustrophobic feel in rear seats

Why do Rolls Royces "lean back"?-2.jpg

4. Rolls Royce Phantom has both roof and doors slanting to rear to help in aerodynamics and still avoid small windows

Why do Rolls Royces "lean back"?-2010rollsroyceghostside588x346.jpg

5. It indeed does look like that Rolls Royces have lower ground clearance at rear whenever I see one on roads. Not sure if it's true or not.
DevilsCry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2012, 20:36   #4
BANNED

Rolls Royce cars do not lean towards the back. This is because all Rolls Royce cars have self-levelling rear suspension systems. This means that regardless of the load, the same level would be maintained.

They originally had self levelling at the front too, but that was discontinued.

The picture only appears to show that it is slanting towards the rear, but in actual fact it is level to the ground.
Old 15th April 2012, 22:55   #5
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

I guess its more to do with the design rather than the technical aspect. The roofline and the boot slope downwards and hence the lean back impression. If you compare the new Rollers to the older models - the design is similar to the Rolls Royce Silver Cloud.
Attached Thumbnails
Why do Rolls Royces "lean back"?-rolls1965silvercloudiii.jpg  

Last edited by v12 : 15th April 2012 at 22:59.
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks