Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2012, 15:13   #16
BHPian

Re: A/c condensor damage in Honda City

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Modern condensers are Aluminium and not Copper. So brazing is out. Hard soldering Al is a fine and black art!
Thanks for the information sir. Thats why it failed easily. Nowadays, Aluminium welding is also possible. Few months back we repaired a part of a boiler burner (by aluminium welding), as original spare cost was very high.. But I am not sure, how many places it is available! And what is the cost involved!

Saw this pic after posting my reply. It seems from pic that the damaged area is surrounded by fins. And high probability of fins getting damaged if any hot work is carried out. And repairing in such circumstances , as said by sgiitk sir, definitely would be black art

Last edited by nozzlering : 8th May 2012 at 15:17.
Old 8th May 2012, 18:32   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Possible, but about as rare as a stone cracking up your windscreen. It's just one of those freak damages. Since your car is still under warranty coverage, I recommend getting the replacement at Honda itself.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 19:02   #18
BANNED

I am wondering whether the estimate is for a warranty job. We all know what happens here. As mentioned earlier the total cost of condenser, labour, gas etc.formy Civic was about 12k. Sticker price on the condenser was 12.xk.

@GTO you have hit a sore spot. I did have my windscreen cracked by a very small stone (more like grit) on NH25 on Saturday. Waiting for Windshield Experts (part of Asahi India) to get a replacement glass.They had promised today, but seems the truck from Gurgaon is delayed, and should definitely be in Kanpur tomorrow.
Old 9th May 2012, 08:43   #19
BHPian

Off topic, but i feel windshield experts do a FAR better job than others!
Old 9th May 2012, 16:15   #20
BHPian

The insurance claim has been resolved. I will have to pay approximately Rs 2000/- for insurance claim and gas recharging charges. hopeful to get the condensor replaced by tommorow.
Old 2nd June 2013, 10:41   #21
BHPian

My city had a small shunt with an auto.Looked really minor. Sustained condensor damage, along with bumper and radiator. Condensor was almost 18k.Claimed insurance, more on the bill and picture of the car here, http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post3138008
Old 20th June 2013, 23:39   #22
BANNED

i too had some welding done in oil cooler of my lancer, but just a day back, i came across an interesting product to bond aluminium, it is similar to epoxy bond (araldite) but it is special for copper and aluminium,

ALUM BOND, ALUM FAST, and there are few aluminium bonding epoxy brands, you can google it, as the product says it can be machined, sanded, drilled, as like aluminium once it get sets. So I took this product info, since i am planning to clean evaporator coil in coming week, so in case if that got cracked while cleaning, i may use it. to save money and time. instead of searching for new one, which may cost a bomb.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks