Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2012, 14:42   #61
BHPian

Re: PICS : Jaguar's Castle Bromwich (UK) Factory. Detailed report on the making of th

Looking at this thread it feels privileged to be a team bhp member! The passion and the spirit in which the pictures and the write up was shared by Khan saab is a fantastic blend. Wish we had a forum like this when we were Automobile engineering students back in the 90s!! Just a small suggestion to the mods (if not already done) to start a section like Knowledge base or Manufacturing process where threads like these can be easily located. Once again thanks for sharing this.... went through this with my ten year old daughter and she too enjoyed this !!
GreaseMonkey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2012, 19:29   #62
BHPian

Re: PICS : Jaguar's Castle Bromwich (UK) Factory. Detailed report on the making of th

Awesome writeup! Khan. The Jaguar factory is amazing! Never thought the Jaguar is made purely out of aluminum. Glad to know that! I feel proud that our very own Tata owns this production facility.
su48 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 17:00   #63
BHPian

Two thumbs up! Awesome thread, Khan.

Interesting to know that there is still so much human intervention in the whole process. Were you able to see any defective pieces during the quality inspection? What do they do if they find a defective piece? Recycle the Al and get it back to the stamping machine?
Mad Max is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2012, 21:02   #64
BHPian

Excellent thread and writeup. Rated it 5 stars

The details given for every snap of the assembly line is truly classy. Gets us to know so much about our drives.

I can only wish if TATA brings this world class technology into India to manufacture the products.

Last edited by gauravdgr8 : 6th August 2012 at 21:03. Reason: Added Rating
gauravdgr8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2013, 18:53   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post

The VCATS testing would involve all the electronic, all systems testing. I am not sure of the track at this factory (didn't ask). However there is a private test track at the Land Rover facility
I don't know how I missed this thread, I work here!!

You are right about the VCATS testing, let me shed some more light on this for our readers. VCATS stands for "Vehicle calibration and Testing System". On these stations, you might recollect a handheld computer would be plugged into the car and mounted on the steering wheel. This tester not only tests the car but also configures the various ECUs in it to perform as they should. This process is necessary to calibrate and configure the ECUs for different variants like LHD, RHD and LWB versions. Also, the system runs what is known as a self test on each ECU on the car, each ECU then reports back its health and a pass/fail is registered. Any failures are attempted to be resolved before the car leaves the moving track, if that's not possible, they are taken to a separate area and rectified. It's mind boggling to see the complexity and coding involved in writing the test system for these cars! I have the privilege of trying to improve those systems and I love every bit of the work I do
dgupta is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks