Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2012, 18:38   #1
BHPian

2009 Skoda Fabia Diesel 1.4 TDI - 93K KMs - Engine Crank shaft problem

Hi Guys,

Well, after 3 years of excellent performance and 93K KMs, my Fabia Diesel has hit a major problem.

Let me tell the story as it happened.

I gave the car for normal 95K service ( 2K before 95 K because I got the "Check ABS" light coming on twice), towards the end of March.
Next day I was told by TAFE's service person that there was a major problem with the car.
After a lot of communication and confusion and delay the car has remained in the workshop for last 6 weeks.
Finally, today I have come to know the whole story and I need your help.

Now to the problem :

Technically the vehicle did not have any problem except the Check ABS light when it was given for service.
At the time of service, it was found that several of timing related parts were damaged. Also, the engine oil pump was only working at 40% of its normal efficiency.

After they disassembled the engine, it was found that the problem is a manufacturing defect.

The actual defect, as I saw it today, is simple enough. The crank shaft is not fitting into its place. There is a little gap horizontally, between the shaft and it's holders.
What that does is, it lets the cam shaft move a bit of horizontally too, where all it should do is rotate.

So, the service guy, when he got hold of the shaft from side and tried to move it side wise(horizontally), it moved and started making knocking sound against the holders.

Now the solution offered :

TAFE had requested SKODA to replace the whole engine. They wanted to replace the engine including everything attached to it, like the oil sump, engine oil motor etc. Only thing that will remain old is the flywheen and the clutch related parts.

SKODA has agreed that this was a manufacturing defect, which has become worst with extended usage. But, because of the vehicle's extended usage (93K KMs), they won't sponsor the full engine. I will have to pay 50% for the engine and rest will be paid by SKODA and TAFE jointly.

The cost of all the parts including the engine is arroung 6 Lacs. And I will have to pay 3 lacs.

My problem :

In my mind, there is no way I am going to spend 3 lacs on getting a new engine for a 3 year old vehicle.
I want to get the engine repaired and then probably use the car for some more time before I sell it.

Please share the details of any good and dependable workshop in Bangalore who can repair engines.
Old 12th May 2012, 19:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need help -- 2009 Skoda Fabia Diesel 1.4 TDI - 93K KMs - Engine Crank shaft probl

Kishore, sorry to hear about your problem, but after a brand new engine, it won't be an old car anymore. 3 lacs for a new diesel engine car is not that bad a deal. Perhaps a little persuasion might help in reducing the costs to a more acceptable figure and you could keep it, especially considering that you are more than satisfied with the car otherwise.
Old 12th May 2012, 19:37   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need help -- 2009 Skoda Fabia Diesel 1.4 TDI - 93K KMs - Engine Crank shaft probl

Well how much does a new base diesel fabia cost? Around 8L right? So if 6L is the cost of the engine the rest of the car is only 2L? I think the 6L engine cost is a blatant lie and 3L should be the proper cost and that's what you are being made to pay. Maybe I am being sceptical here but after reading all about Skoda here at team bhp I really cant avoid thinking in this way.
SPARKled is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2012, 21:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

Engine would not cost more than a Lakh. in 6 lacs you would get the whole car. This is yet another case of Skoda taking its customers for an expensive ride. When will Skoda improve ????
Old 12th May 2012, 22:30   #5
BHPian

Hi Kishore and sorry to hear about the major problem
Being a manufacturing defect why is it that its been detected so late?
Engine cant cost 6 Lacs I suggest contact Skoda via their FB page or write to them at skodacarindia@gmail.com
Hope your issue gets resolved at the earliest.
Old 13th May 2012, 01:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

Something is fishy out there. You gave the car for a routine service six weeks back and is told that there is a major problem with the car's engine and cost of engine replacement is Rs 6 lacs. Then what is the total cost of other components?
Come to think of it. You have run it for 94 K kms and so any change in behaviour by way of sound or vibrations would have caught your attention. Is your car covered in the extended warranty, and if yes take the fight to Skoda straight.

Last edited by rajeev k : 13th May 2012 at 01:20.
Old 13th May 2012, 02:53   #7
BHPian

I don't understand the part when they deassembled . Why did they did so, and on whose authorization ? Also did you went and checked the car in person when they called you next day and told you about the major problem? Did they deassembled in front of you? Something is not right here. Why don't they just replace the crank assembly and other parts instead of changing the whole engine? Have you observed any abnormal consumption of engine oil one the past?
rohitbagai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2012, 03:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

@Kishor: It is unfortunate that the engine has gone kaput at this age of the car. However, if is to be appreciated that a company like Skoda has agreed to the manufacturing defect. Also, Since the car has run 94k kms, and I believe its not under extended warranty, most companies will offer 50% sharing for parts that can be tagged as replacement under goodwill warranty.

You may debate that if companies like Honda can replace complete engines of 2008-10 civics in USA, and that too of cars with over 1 lac miles on the clock, why cant skoda replace the engine at entirely their cost. First things first, most OEMs would not even agree that its a manufacturing defect in a country like India and then in a car with 94k kms on the clock, you are not left with fat lot of options.

Secondly, if we talk about the cost of the engine, one cannot really compare the individual prices of parts to that of complete car. If one starts assembling the car part by part, any car will cost 3-4 times the market value of the car. In 2010, the engine head of my 1.2 Polo was replaced and excluding the camshaft, the complete assembly costed over 1.3 lac rupees. The complete engine would cost over 3.5 - 4 lac rupees. This is for a car that costs 5 lacs for trendline model. The half engine of swift diesel (yes the multijet) costs 1.8 lac rupees from Maruti Suzuki. The complete engine will cost over 3 lac rupees and this is when the last gen swift Ldi costed 5 lac ex showroom. The complete engine of civic costs 6-7 lac rupees, that of cedia costs around 6 lac rupees.

I believe it will be best if you get hold of an independent garage and source parts that need replacement and build the engine rather than getting a new one. If not, I am sure you can get pre owned engines from New Delhi/agra for within 50-70k rupees. Just swap your engine with the pre owned one and get the car fixed.

However, if your car is still under extended warranty, Skoda is liable to pay for entire damage.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 13th May 2012 at 03:43.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2012, 10:29   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai View Post
I don't understand the part when they deassembled . Why did they did so, and on whose authorization ? Also did you went and checked the car in person when they called you next day and told you about the major problem? Did they deassembled in front of you?
Yes, they went through proper procedure of taking authorization of SKODA and me.

No, I did not go there the day they called.

No, I was not there when they opened the engine.

Thanks for all your replies folks.

3 Lacs was an approximate quote, but yesterday I received the mail giving me the exact amount.
To quote it :

Quote:
The same will cost you Rs.2,08014.50 plus labur. The cost includes 14% VAT
It's true that the way this whole thing is handled and the end result leaves a lot of question to be asked.

But, what I'm told is that it would have been a 100% sponsored engine if the vehicle ODO was within 50K. So it's common from car maker to offer 50% cost as a goodwill warranty.

Anyway, 2.5 Lacs (with parts and labor) is a huge amount I don't want to spend. Specially on the car which is already been driven 93K.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by .anshuman : 14th May 2012 at 10:46. Reason: See note in post
Old 13th May 2012, 11:38   #10
Team-BHP Support

6 Lakhs for an engine? highly unlikely. I think the 3 lakh you are being charged is the cost of the engine. Please get the detailed parts price list and check before anything.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2012, 12:37   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2009 Skoda Fabia Diesel 1.4 TDI - 93K KMs - Engine Crank shaft problem

IMHO, 1st please make sure that the A.S.S is not just messing with you.

2nd, a bit unethical, but.. get it done from an outside garage and sell the car. Considering the huge demand for diesel powered cars, you should get a good price.
Old 13th May 2012, 21:11   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KishoreC View Post

I gave the car for normal 95K service ( 2K before 95 K because I got the "Check ABS" light coming on twice), towards the end of March.
Next day I was told by TAFE's service person that there was a major problem with the car.
Let me understand this correct. Your car was running OK when you gave it for 'normal' service. No roughness, shaking or noises?

God knows who's engine is in your car. Tell them to return your car in the same condition you gave it to them.
Mpower is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th May 2012, 23:03   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KishoreC View Post
I will have to pay 50% for the engine and rest will be paid by SKODA and TAFE jointly.
This part smells a bit fishy. Skoda footing part of the bill - I understand. But why would TAFE offer to pay from their own pocket? I agree with what some are saying - these guys are making you pay for the entire engine. The engine replacement costing Rs. 6 Lacs is a lie.
Old 13th May 2012, 23:39   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
IMHO, 1st please make sure that the A.S.S is not just messing with you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
God knows who's engine is in your car. Tell them to return your car in the same condition you gave it to them.
OP: Check the engine #. Make sure its not carved!
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2012, 00:07   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
This part smells a bit fishy. Skoda footing part of the bill - I understand. But why would TAFE offer to pay from their own pocket? I agree with what some are saying - these guys are making you pay for the entire engine. The engine replacement costing Rs. 6 Lacs is a lie.
Yes, I agree too.. Since you mentioned that TAFE did not wait for your consent before opening the engine, is there a possibility they might have messed something up other than the manufacturing defect?

Also, did you try calling other dealers to get a componentized price quote for a new engine? As others said, 6L for an engine sounds on the higher side..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks