Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2006, 03:55   #1
BHPian

Team Defianz

Greetings from Defianz Racing DCE !!

I propose to start this thread, with a "go ahead" from Mr. R ....
We at Team Defianz - design, simulate, manufacture and Run a Formula Style racing car every year starting from scratch - aimed at a competition that takes place in Leicester, UK.

Here, i'd love to showcase the progress we've made over the years and the development stages of the present setup !

I'm proud to follow the Legacy set by my seniors @ DCE - they were the ones to think beyond !! and acheived the near impossible - winning the Best Endeavour award in their first attempt itself.

Our journey , thereafter, has been a roller coaster ride.... Always working against time, resources, exams, nagging profs, administrative red tapism & babudom, and being fuelled, all along, by the maddening Love to drive something u built on ur OWN !!
Old 8th April 2006, 04:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hey
great to have you amongst us Manas ..

We at T-Bhp we be glad to hear more on your Teams progress and current affairs ...

cheers
Old 8th April 2006, 04:30   #3
BHPian

This is the 2005 attempt. the one after their award in 2004.
We, the present & the 2006 team got to work on This car as subordinates to our seniors and gained a lot of insight on what to do, what not to do, How not to do and most importantly, WHY not to do !!

We used a carburretted Yam R6 engine and converted it to Mpfi (wasted spark). The entire suspension geometry was thought of, designed in house.
The entire chassis fabrication took place in the college's Lab.

It was a sorry thing that the only thing we couldn't give the car was substantial amount of luck....

I would love to post my experiences with the project over the years ...

Last edited by Manas : 8th April 2006 at 04:31.
Old 8th April 2006, 09:00   #4
BHPian

amazing to have u aboard......
hopefully we can learn alot from ur experiences........enjoy ur stay
Old 8th April 2006, 09:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

A good and sincere effort by students. Keep up the good work. We need to show the world, we indians have the skill to design and build world class racing machines.

Wish you all the best in your endeavours.
Old 8th April 2006, 10:57   #6
BHPian

wishing you guys all the very best
Old 8th April 2006, 20:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manas
Our journey , thereafter, has been a roller coaster ride.... Always working against time, resources, exams, nagging profs, administrative red tapism & babudom, and being fuelled, all along, by the maddening Love to drive something u built on ur OWN !!
I couldn't agree more brother, power to the people!!! And I must say it's a fantastic looking machine, kudos just for attempting, results are for bean counters!
Old 8th April 2006, 20:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to TBHP. We've heard of Team Defianz in the newspapers and mags, good to see someone from the current team here.

Enjoy!
Old 8th April 2006, 22:57   #9
BHPian

We Really appreciate the response !!

I'd tell here the jouney till date, in a chronological kind of a way - a Story maybe ... as far as i'm concerned, this project has single handedly moulded my lifestyle, my way of thinking...living and virtually has sealed my line of work for all the years to come !

It's not evryday that we get an opportunity to do what we love !
And this project, though involves some near-disaster experiences, a lot of getting dirty , hands drenched in the smell of oil to the extent that if it goes away, we don't feel comfortable anymore !! .. STILL, it's our passion. Much Much beyond just a college project.... For that matter, this project is Not a part of our curriculum and we don't get any marks for it .... We do it 'coz we love doin it. It's that simple. It's that straight.

One thing's for sure though, even if i move out of the college, i'd continue to contribute to the effort over the years to come - 'coz frankly speaking, THIS IS MY FIRST Love ... my passion.

So what if our efforts aren't appreciated by luck - i've realized overtime that "luck" is very patient - and we should be patient with it.

Anyways, before i formally start sharing my experiences over the years with the entire T-BHP community, let me make a quick mention to our Seniors - 2004 passout batch of DCE - Mechanical - that how much we're indebted to your "thinking out of the box" and starting something THIS Radical, THIS Addictive !!
And ofcourse our parents - whose patience we've tested beyond their tensile strengths at more occassions than one !! and would continue to do so !! Seriously, had their support (in terms of monetary help,allowing us to come back home @ 4 in the morn, understanding the pressure etc...) not been there, this effort, this project would not have lifted off at all !!

Anyways, Here i begin -

Shown above, and here is the 2004 attempt.

This is the setup that looked from the rear - we had twin mufflers for the 4 cylinder R6 motor. The Ecu and ignition setup was chassis mounted rear of the engine. Wasted spark ignition controlled fed by twin ig. coils (yellow in colour). the intake coupled with a restrictor (20mm orifice - mandatory as per the rules) and throttle body and four intake runners - the silver beakhor n shaped structure ....
suspension included Inboard shocks actuated by pushrods via bell cranks. the uprights were also designed in-house and were cnc milled.

Last edited by Manas : 8th April 2006 at 23:01.
Old 9th April 2006, 00:33   #10
BHPian

Weren't you guys here at the Mumbai Auto Show at BKC? I remember speaking to someone from DCE, and seeing the car that you siad you had taken to...Australia (am i right)...same engine, and onion-chambered exhaust?

Keep up the good work...
Old 9th April 2006, 00:58   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_v12
Weren't you guys here at the Mumbai Auto Show at BKC? I remember speaking to someone from DCE, and seeing the car that you siad you had taken to...Australia (am i right)...same engine, and onion-chambered exhaust?

Keep up the good work...
Yeah ... We were contacted by Barkha Exhibits, Mumbai .. i myself talked (to you ?? ) but due to the college's reluctance to sponsor the car's transportation to Mumbai, we couldn't make it there .....

BTW, our competition is UK based.
ths is our last year's car running in UK ....

But, we did put up our stall at Auto Expo, Delhi - right next to dilip chhabria's DC Design stall ...
here's a pic from there ::

Old 9th April 2006, 02:37   #12
Senior - BHPian

Manas, how about some rear end shots of your last year's car? The frontal area seems huge, though.

What sort of computer simulations do you guys do for the car? I have read about judges blasting students for even if CFD analysis wasn't done for the radiator shroud, might just be an odd one though.
Old 9th April 2006, 07:43   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head
Manas, how about some rear end shots of your last year's car? The frontal area seems huge, though.

What sort of computer simulations do you guys do for the car? I have read about judges blasting students for even if CFD analysis wasn't done for the radiator shroud, might just be an odd one though.
Sorry to disappoint you bro ... But our car's body works were outsourced to a Car body Remoddler (AGM, Delhi) and the worst part being that we don't have access to any wind Tunnel / Flow Bech facility. woithout validation, any CFD analysis is as good as nothing. Yup. You're right, the judges do stress on CFD and Dyno testing. WE can't arrange the prior but are hopeful about mapping the power/torque curve on a chassis dyno once this year's car is ready.

We gotta make a slow n steady progress ... the teams we compete against are 20 plus in number and more than half of them are post grads in motorsport engineering ....
Further, it's already a big enough task to manufacture every component and bring together the vehicle to complete the endurance run. Everything else is immaterial if one can't complete the endurance.
We have our hands full as of now .. But the finer areas DO NEED attention - which theyy'd get once we've mastered the major areas - and we have to go a long way for that too !!

the detailed analysis, CFD eg. would be acheived once we have the right tools. Our college is coming up with a CFD labs - complete with parallel processing machines for running those HUGE smulations.

Last year, just one month before the compttn, our R6 started giving so many troubles that we had to make a last minute change to a Royal Enfield Bullet !! I know, many ppl's eyes are gonna pop out on this one !! he he he...
But the car runs like the wind (a heavy wind, for that) on it too !! Yeah, it weighs full 300 kiloz.. (a truck as compared to vehicles there with avg. of 200 kg)..

A better view of the Rear ::
Old 9th April 2006, 10:11   #14
Senior - BHPian

It is so awesome to have u guys here!!!! All the best for ur endeavours!!!
Old 27th December 2006, 15:42   #15
BHPian

Defianz Racing '07

Defianz Racing '06

Its been a long time since youve heard from us. So here I go (This post is going to be long and may get technical so for those not interested in the text I'll be posting pics and vids of our car)

It was the end of June when our body works ( sponsored by NTF Design ) were delivered to us and the car was in its finishing stage.
The team was to leave for UK on 4th July and the car on 2nd.

Everything was going well except the engine which was giving us way too many difficulties.
Finally on the 1st of July the engine fired but as we started revving the engine it started making a noise we were unfamilier with and then suddenly it died.
Later we realised that the crankshaft bearing had ceased and there was no option left to repair it. It is impossible to source R6 parts in two days and that too of a 99 model engine.
With just two days for the car to leave we had no options in sight. One of my seniors is residing in Leicester and we gave him a call about our situation and this worked magic for us. He had arranged for the same yamaha r6 '99 motor in UK for 800 quid.
So with new hope we set out for UK and finally did get the engine working at the competition.
Everything was going fine and we were optimistic of getting a good rank at the competition but
then we had difficulties clearing the noise test because our muffler was too close to the ground and the sound was resonating. We did finally clear the noise test but it costed us one whole day at the competition. After that we completed all the safety tests and judge's scrutiny round but at the brake test our suspension rod ends gave way and the front suspension broke under the stress. We did have an extra set of suspension A arms and rod-ends but it was no use as there was no time left for another attempt so we finally retired from the dynamic events ie the drag(100m) and endurance race.
We did however finish second in the cost event (which consists of a business presentation to market the car to a prospective buyer) because we do have an advantage over cost of labour and machining in India over other american and european teams.

Since we had so many problems days before the competition we couldnt show the running car to the media, our college and our sponsors and this has made them a little reluctant in investing in our car again.

So this was our looong, sad story. Any solace is always welcome

Check out the pics in my album
Picasa Web Albums - Harsh - Defianz Racin...

A video of our car

http://video.google.com/googleplayer...05736821&hl=en

Defianz Racing '07

We have started work very early this time learning from our past experience and we hope to get the car running by end of January.
Oh and did I mention this year's competition venue SILVERSTONE Circuit, UK.

Will post pics of our work soon.

But we are falling short of money now as we still don't have any sponsors yet so if anyone help us in this matter. Any support in cash or kind is always welcome.

The chasis fabrication is complete and the suspension geometry has been finalised and all the suspension parts are under manufacturing. The engine is yet to be tested as we are waiting for the performance electronics ecu.
We may get dyno time from ARAI also to tune our engine.
After all our car may be the first indian made car to race on silverstone.
We are using brake calipers from cbz and unicorn on all four tyres.

The body works are secondary as of now till we get sponsors or somebody sponsors the bodyworks like NTF or AGM.

Will keep updating this thread to keep u guys updated about our work.

Last edited by Rehaan : 5th January 2007 at 22:01. Reason: edited links to pics and video

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks