Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2012, 19:43   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Accent - Front Brake Pads need replacement every 10,000 kms!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbaruas View Post
Have read all your valuable inputs.
Sameerg001 , can you please share an indicative price of the 3 brands of brake pads which you have mentioned?

Thank you everyone !
The price of all of the above mentioned pads were around 700/- ( +,-50 ).

Cheers
Sameer
Old 28th May 2012, 22:29   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
How long back was the discs replaced? Do you have scoring marks (deep ridges) on the discs? Once pads wear completely and there is metal to metal contact, the discs get scored. If you just replace the pads after this, the pads keep wearing off prematurely. Scored discs also harbour dust and debris, which wear the pads more and create squealing sounds.

Get the caliper pins greased, and if there is too much play, replaced. Bleed and refill brake fluid. Replace the discs and pads. Check often that the brakes are not binding (as SGIITK sir has mentioned, rims must not be overheating).
Although I do get the caliper pins greased. But the discs have never been replaced till date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1self View Post
hbaruas, changing the brake fluid means putting the car on a car-lift or jacks (all 4 corners), removing the wheels & pumping the brakes while bleeding the brake fluid from all brakes, one at a time. It's not JUST topping the fluid. The difference before & after is VAST.
You seem to be an enthusiastic driver, so I suggest you do this.
OIC !Wonder what oil did he top-up via bonnet .. It was just around a 20-30 ml bottle which was poured in !

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
The price of all of the above mentioned pads were around 700/- ( +,-50 ).

Cheers
Sameer
Oh.. In that case I have been shelling out a lot ! Hope next time will get all this sorted out !
Old 19th June 2012, 14:23   #18
BHPian

Got the front brake pads changed yet again at a local garage.
Also asked him to check the caliper pin issue, but was told that it was fine.

This time I have also got the rear brake pads changed for the first time.
Hope the set of front brake pads lasts longer this time.

Once again, thank you all for the inputs.

Here is another question I have...
Since the car has run 92k+ , its now time for Timing Belt replacement.
The last time I gave the car for service and asked Hyundai *** to replace the timing belt, they returned the car in the evening without replacing the timing belt due to unavailability of parts.
They had quoted around 5.5k for timing belt + suggested that I replace the other A.C belts etc?
Is the figure quoted ok? Should I get the other belts changed as well.

When I went to the FNG for brake pads replacement he quoted around ~4k for timing belt replacement.. and said that there is some attached bearing which "may" need to be changed as well.
Can anyone please suggest what all needs to be changed during the timing belt replacement?

Should I get it done from local market or Hyundai ***...
Does the timing belt/chain have a brand or something?
Old 19th June 2012, 15:25   #19
BANNED

My accent is also nearing timing belt replacement.
One Hyundai centre quoted approx 8K if all parts necessary are replaced. Another centre quoted approx 5K, again subjective to which parts are replaced.

Quality of the Timing Belt is important. I say this, having suffered a broken timing belt in my matiz which didnt even last 30K and led to engine damage. Probably I relied on my FNG too much for my own good.
Old 19th June 2012, 16:37   #20
BHPian

Quote:
They had quoted around 5.5k for timing belt + suggested that I replace the other A.C belts etc?
Is the figure quoted ok? Should I get the other belts changed as well.

When I went to the FNG for brake pads replacement he quoted around ~4k for timing belt replacement.. and said that there is some attached bearing which "may" need to be changed as well.
Can anyone please suggest what all needs to be changed during the timing belt replacement?

Should I get it done from local market or Hyundai ***...
Does the timing belt/chain have a brand or something?
5.5 for timing belt seems correct to me. Accessory belts need not be changed unless they are showing signs of aging.

FNG quote of 4 K also seems reasonable. Make sure they use the OEM timing belt. The bearing he talked might be the automatic tensioner I think. Yes get that changed also if needed. Bearing otherwise can mean cam seals also. Change them if needed.

What should be changed with timing belt depends on your car? Pieces that are generally touched are tensioner (keeps the belt tight) and water pump (circulated coolant) and seals.
Old 30th June 2012, 14:55   #21
BHPian

The car has been running fine.
Got the Timing Belt + Tensioner+ A.C Belts etc. changed last week at Hyundai A.S.S last week. The total cost came to 5900.
I am happy that no major costs are likely to be incurred in the coming future apart from the tyres which have already run 93k . The local mechanic suggested they still have some 8-10k life left in them.

I have now been reading the new threads about DIY on oil change. Just wanted a suggestion regarding which oil should I go for. I won't ask for an oil change during the service. Please suggest which brand (Mobil 1...) and variant (Synthetic/Mineral and 10w40 etc.....) to use for Accent GLE Petrol, what would be the cost , and how much quantity is required (3 litres??)
Thanks
Old 30th June 2012, 15:10   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The car has been running fine.
Got the Timing Belt + Tensioner+ A.C Belts etc. changed last week at Hyundai A.S.S last week. The total cost came to 5900.
I am happy that no major costs are likely to be incurred in the coming future apart from the tyres which have already run 93k . The local mechanic suggested they still have some 8-10k life left in them.

I have now been reading the new threads about DIY on oil change. Just wanted a suggestion regarding which oil should I go for. I won't ask for an oil change during the service. Please suggest which brand (Mobil 1...) and variant (Synthetic/Mineral and 10w40 etc.....) to use for Accent GLE Petrol, what would be the cost , and how much quantity is required (3 litres??)
Thanks
When you'll upgrade the tyres, I suggest you to go ahead with Michelin XM series. I changed my accent tyres to michelin XM1+ and there was a lot improvement overall.

Regarding oil, I suggest you to go ahead with Casrol magnatec- Which i use in my car. Costs around 1000/- for 4 litres. Hyundai recommends mineral oil for accent, so i suggest you to stick with mineral oil only. Synthetic oil cost a bomb- around 1000/- per litre.

So, go ahead with normal mineral oil. In case you want to explore options, look at shell 10w40 for around 1300/- for 4 litres.

Cheers!
Old 30th June 2012, 15:57   #23
BHPian

Alright. Thanks Sameer.
Is there any rating for Castrol Magnatec Mineral oil as well? Any particular advantage you have witnessed of Shell (over Castrol)

Does Mobil offer Synthetic oils only?

Regarding Tires, I have gone through the various threads here.. and have Yoko A -Drives (~3.9k a piece, enquired a couple of months back) on the list for now.

I have read the XM's offer a softer ride, and there side walls are not that hard. Thanks for your suggestion. How much did the first set of tires last on your car. And how much did you get the XM1+ for?
Old 30th June 2012, 16:53   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Alright. Thanks Sameer.

Is there any rating for Castrol Magnatec Mineral oil as well? Any particular advantage you have witnessed of Shell (over Castrol)

Does Mobil offer Synthetic oils only?

Regarding Tires, I have gone through the various threads here.. and have Yoko A -Drives (~3.9k a piece, enquired a couple of months back) on the list for now.

I have read the XM's offer a softer ride, and there side walls are not that hard. Thanks for your suggestion. How much did the first set of tires last on your car. And how much did you get the XM1+ for?
No, I didn't noticed any particular advantage of shell over castrol.

As far i know, Mobil 1 offers synthetic only, not sure though.

Well, regarding the tyres. A drives are on softer side over Michelin. Yokohama have softer sidewalls as compared to michelins.

Let me share an instance with you, I was reversing my car from the parking, and there was a wooden block with a nail on it, I didn't notice as it was just behind rear tyre. I went over it, and then my dad told me, I just went over the nail. I was like , I thought that ' my new tyres got screwed '. But the tyres are well built, no punctures or anything. I am very impressed with them.

Last month when i was in for tyre shopping, A drive was for 3900. Michelin XM1+ were for 4150/-. All in all, A drive and XM1 both of them are proven tyres in the market. You can't go wrong with either of them. But my pick will be Michelins any day.

My last tyres lasted for 45k kms, there was still tread on them but frequent punctures and noise was pissing me off, So i got michelins.

Cheers,
Sameer
Old 30th June 2012, 20:13   #25
BANNED

hbaruas - Sir, which Hyundai A.S.S. did you get your timing belt replacement done from?
Old 23rd October 2012, 20:43   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhead View Post
hbaruas - Sir, which Hyundai A.S.S. did you get your timing belt replacement done from?
Hi Sinhead,
Apologies for the delayed response.
Somehow missed your post.

I got the Timing Belt replacement done at the Hans Hyundai Service Cente, Badli Indutrial Area ( near Telephone Exchange)

Also .. just updating the thread with the recent spends on my car..
got the 4 stock tyres replaced when the car had run 95.2k .
The car is now running on Michelin XM2, 17600 for 4 tyres (without exchange). Still the same size 175/70/13

The car has now run 99.2 k (~59 months)
Changed the battery yesterday. Exchanged my OEM Exide Freedom battery with Exide Matrix (45Amp) for INR 4500.
Was quoted INR 4200 for Amaron (under exchange)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks