Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2012, 00:52   #1
BHPian

Hyundai Accent - Front Brake Pads need replacement every 10,000 kms!

Its been almost 4.5 years with my Hyundai Accent GLE .. and it has served me well.
There has been only one issue which has been bothering me since long, but it is only today that I thought of posting it on the forum, and getting inputs from others on T-BHP.

My car has happily spent around 91k on the round. The only constant expense has been the brake pads!
The car is run round around 90 km daily -->
Rohini - Gurgaon - Rohini (20:80::Highway:City)

I think the first one was changed at around 40k .. and after that changing the brake pads every 8-12k (because of the sound of screeching sound of metal to metal) has been a regular affair !
After getting the CNG fitted, I got the car serviced from Bosch.. and so when the car had run 40k.. the new set of Bosch brake pads were put which I think cost around 1100 INR .. IIRC that set served good for around 10k .

After a while since it was not the time to get the car serviced, but the brake pad was making that irritating sound, I got the brake pads changed from a local mechanic .. and he put a new set for around INR 900. He assured they will last for 15k.. but it was the same story after 9-10k i guess.

It was then time to switch back to Hyundai for the 60k service, and then I decided to give the Hyundai Brakepads a try.. They were being advertised at the Service Center. It was mentioned on a poster that they come with some Asbestos coating or something and will last around 20-30k. I think it was 30k.
Although it cost around 2800-3300... I decided to give it a try ...
But yet again they lasted only 12k !

So after all this I have now gone back to the local mechanic, and get the brake pads changed every 10k(only because of the screeching sound, I dont think the braking power reduces much when I decide to go for a change)

Can any other Hyundai Accent owner confirm if he/she is also facing the similar issue with the brake pads?? Any trusted brand of brake pad/ mechanic you would recommend. let me know.
Thanks for your time !

Last edited by hbaruas : 25th May 2012 at 00:54.
Old 25th May 2012, 08:06   #2
BHPian

re: Hyundai Accent - Front Brake Pads need replacement every 10,000 kms!

You must be driving a) with your foot on the brakes, b)driving hard & braking late.

The other reason could be that the brake caliper piston is not retracting enough when you get off the brake pedal. If the latter was happening, you should have got a rather low fuel economy & your car will be relatively sluggish.

Also, do you feel any vibrations via the steering wheels when braking?
1self is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2012, 10:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

As a former Accent owner let me try. I always buy my pads on the after market. I will suggest the following:

1. Get the discs honed before changing the pads. This can help. Also, ensure the mechanic (esp if outside the HA$$) puts the copper grease on the back of the pad). They often skip this.

2. Confirm that the hydraulics is kosher. While drums are happy with a residual pressure, discs hate it. After a run where you do not brake too much, just touch and feel the wheels. Are they too hot!

My own experience is about 35k with OEs and then 30k+ with the replacements (I sold the car before they had to be replaced).
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2012, 10:20   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbaruas View Post
...changing the brake pads every 8-12k (because of the sound of screeching sound of metal to metal)...
Are your brake pads actually wearing down to metal, or are they just making a squealing sound even with adequate material left on them? If they are actually wearing out, you need to check the functioning of your rear brakes - probably a hydraulic line jamming problem or malfunctioning rear wheel cylinders.
Quote:
Any trusted ... mechanic you would recommend. let me know.
Try them.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 25th May 2012 at 10:24.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2012, 10:47   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1self View Post
You must be driving a) with your foot on the brakes, b)driving hard & braking late.

The other reason could be that the brake caliper piston is not retracting enough when you get off the brake pedal. If the latter was happening, you should have got a rather low fuel economy & your car will be relatively sluggish.

Also, do you feel any vibrations via the steering wheels when braking?
I am not driving with my foot on the brakes.. and generally do not brake that late.
Also, i do not feel any vibrations while braking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
As a former Accent owner let me try. I always buy my pads on the after market. I will suggest the following:

1. Get the discs honed before changing the pads. This can help. Also, ensure the mechanic (esp if outside the HA$$) puts the copper grease on the back of the pad). They often skip this.

2. Confirm that the hydraulics is kosher. While drums are happy with a residual pressure, discs hate it. After a run where you do not brake too much, just touch and feel the wheels. Are they too hot!

My own experience is about 35k with OEs and then 30k+ with the replacements (I sold the car before they had to be replaced).
Sir... what is kosher? Please help me understand.
You are saying 30k for aftermarket brakes... but i wonder why does the local mechanic say 15k for his brakes... are you aware of any particular brand i should look for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Are your brake pads actually wearing down to metal, or are they just making a squealing sound even with adequate material left on them? If they are actually wearing out, you need to check the functioning of your rear brakes - probably a hydraulic line jamming problem or malfunctioning rear wheel cylinders.

Try them.
yes.. they are wearing down to the metal.
Do i really need to get the rear wheel checked for this?
Will try to find some time to go to Imtiaz. Thx.

Anyone has any experience with a good local mechanic near naharpur, rohini?
Thanks for all your replies.
Old 25th May 2012, 11:14   #6
BHPian

Slightly off topic, but most OE parts have moved on from Asbestos compounds, since in particles are equally harmful.
Old 25th May 2012, 11:38   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Accent - Front Brake Pads need replacement every 10,000 kms!

Quote:
yes.. they are wearing down to the metal.
Do i really need to get the rear wheel checked for this?
Yes - commonest reason for extra-rapid front brake pad wear is non-functioning rear brakes due to a variety of causes. Transferring the full braking load onto just the front wheels causes the accelerated wear that you are experiencing.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2012, 11:42   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sir... what is kosher? Please help me understand.
You are saying 30k for aftermarket brakes... but i wonder why does the local mechanic say 15k for his brakes... are you aware of any particular brand i should look for?
Kosher is a Hebrew term for food conforming to Jewish rules. It i used colloquially for Ok or good. I just buy my parts from a shop in Kanpur to whom I have been going since 1979. If I remember correctly, these were some Japanese / Korean brand, do not remember much more. Almost all manufacturers of cars source various parts from outside. For example, now Hyundai are getting dampers from Gabriel. Remember I sold my Accent over two years ago.
Old 25th May 2012, 13:04   #9
Senior - BHPian

I too own an petrol accent, with 80k on odo. I generally changed my brake pads at every 25000 kms.

Last change was around 67k, where i changed front pads and now the odo is at 80k, even now pads are working perfectly fine, will change then in another 5k or so.

I always buy all spare's part stuff for my car from a shop in ganesh nagar, and get them changed from an nearby garage.

I generally buy either SC or TVS or RANA brake pads, and they last for a good 30k or so.

There must be something wrong with you discs maybe, get them checked too, or take it to an good Hyundai *** and ask them to check, what the issue is, because the pads do last for atleast 15k or more kms, even if you brake hard everytime.

Do change rear brake shoes too, if you haven't .

Cheers
Sameer

Last edited by sameerg001 : 25th May 2012 at 13:05.
Old 25th May 2012, 17:25   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Yes - commonest reason for extra-rapid front brake pad wear is non-functioning rear brakes due to a variety of causes. Transferring the full braking load onto just the front wheels causes the accelerated wear that you are experiencing.
I agree with SS Traveller, a common friend of ours (Tbhpian) had to replace his whole front brake kit of his Verna just because the rears had stopped working and the whole braking was taken up by the fronts. And that was on just one 400 (approx) km trip.

One more point, I too own an Accent and a service manager once told me that brake pads having any amount of metal in it will make such noises. I had this issue before. You could try out Hyundai stock parts and avoid any asbestos or ceramic based stuff.
NOS Power is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2012, 18:07   #11
BHPian

Hbaruas, as sameerg0001 mentioned, also do check the rear drum brakes. If the lining material is gone, almost all the stopping stress will be taken up by the fronts, which will likely lead to the condition you are experiencing.

Also, as mentioned by sgiitk, get your brake discs resurfaced. This will give a more parallel surface so that more of the brake pads bite which will lead to less brake effort & thence less overall wear.

If you like to drive hard, there will be more brake wear & a chance for brake disc warpage. Do get these checked.

Also, i would definately to get the brake fluid replaced while you are doing the above. Brake fluid is hygroscopic (absorbs moisture) & so the boiling point of the liquid falls sharply & gas bubbles form in the system, resulting in more pedal travel. I bleed old fluid every year & replace the entire fluid every 3 years!

Last edited by 1self : 25th May 2012 at 18:22.
Old 25th May 2012, 22:45   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Almost all points have been covered above.

One additional point I would like to make is the make of the brake pads. I once had local KBX pads, and they lasted only about ~10k. Changed to OE ones, and its been ~25k since.

Please make sure the above points are religiously checked, and after which change to OE or good quality genuine brake pads.
Old 26th May 2012, 01:03   #13
BHPian

Have read all your valuable inputs.
The last time I got my car serviced (from Hyundai) @ 86k , was the first time the SA advised me to get the rear brakes changed. But I asked him not to. :-(

Now I think this may be the primary reason the front brakes wearing down quickly!
Will definitely do it the next time around. I hope they do use the copper grease as sgiitk suggested.

The display was showing a warning light less than an year ago,took it to the local mechanic and he topped it up with the Brake Fluid. But still as suggested by 1self, I will get the brake fluid checked/changed once again.
Sameerg001 , can you please share an indicative price of the 3 brands of brake pads which you have mentioned?

Thank you everyone !
Old 26th May 2012, 08:47   #14
BHPian

hbaruas, changing the brake fluid means putting the car on a car-lift or jacks (all 4 corners), removing the wheels & pumping the brakes while bleeding the brake fluid from all brakes, one at a time. It's not JUST topping the fluid. The difference before & after is VAST.
You seem to be an enthusiastic driver, so I suggest you do this.
Old 26th May 2012, 10:37   #15
BHPian

How long back was the discs replaced? Do you have scoring marks (deep ridges) on the discs? Once pads wear completely and there is metal to metal contact, the discs get scored. If you just replace the pads after this, the pads keep wearing off prematurely. Scored discs also harbour dust and debris, which wear the pads more and create squealing sounds.

Get the caliper pins greased, and if there is too much play, replaced. Bleed and refill brake fluid. Replace the discs and pads. Check often that the brakes are not binding (as SGIITK sir has mentioned, rims must not be overheating).

Last edited by autocrat : 26th May 2012 at 10:39.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks