Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2012, 13:18   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Accent : AC not working with clutch depressed EDIT : Now resolved

Hello guys, need your help .

I drive and petrol hyundai accent with 80k on ODO, i got ac serviced couple of months ago. The AC works perfect while cruising, even on stand still it works equally well, BUT while i am in Bumper to Bumper traffic, with clutch depressed it cuts off, like if someone turned the ac off, and start working again when i remove my foot from clutch.

It only happens in crawling traffic, i checked my clutch too, it's fine till date.

What could be the issue, with summers on the peak, it gets difficult to sit in the car with AC off.

I will consult A.S.S over the weekend, anyone experienced this before ?

Please help.

Sameer
Old 25th May 2012, 14:18   #2
BHPian

re: Hyundai Accent : AC not working with clutch depressed EDIT : Now resolved

In summers, the temperature of the Engine Oil rises rapidly in start stop traffic. So the AC compressor cuts off temporarily to reduce load on the engine. Once you are back to speed, the air flow to the radiator fan increases this reducing the temperature and the AC compressor switches on.

I dont think this has anything to do with the clutch. Just to be sure just idle your car for 10 min or so with the clutch depressed and check whether the compressor is working. Let us know the feedback.
Sisu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2012, 16:20   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
Hello guys, need your help .

I drive and petrol hyundai accent with 80k on ODO, i got ac serviced couple of months ago. The AC works perfect while cruising, even on stand still it works equally well, BUT while i am in Bumper to Bumper traffic, with clutch depressed it cuts off, like if someone turned the ac off, and start working again when i remove my foot from clutch.

It only happens in crawling traffic, i checked my clutch too, it's fine till date.

What could be the issue, with summers on the peak, it gets difficult to sit in the car with AC off.

I will consult A.S.S over the weekend, anyone experienced this before ?

Please help.

Sameer
Just to isolate the clutch thing, is ac working at stand still on neutral (you dont need to press clutch pedal in this case).
Old 25th May 2012, 18:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozzlering View Post
Just to isolate the clutch thing, is ac working at stand still on neutral (you dont need to press clutch pedal in this case).
Yes, ac is working perfectly fine on neutral .
Old 25th May 2012, 19:24   #5
BHPian

Its strange!! Ac being controlled by Clutch
Any repair job done recently?
I would suggest you to do one small test. Or maybe you have done already. Car is in neutral. Start the car. switch on ac and blower. Cooling will start. Now just press clutch pedal and keep in this position for some time. Is ac working or not?
nozzlering is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2012, 19:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

Ok, you shall laugh. But here's a pointer. Now I have driven 2 Accents over 3 years and I can assuredly tell you nothing is wrong with the car. Do one thing, take a torch and check to the left of the footrest. There is a plastic slit/window that can move with your foot. Every time you put your foot down to depress the clutch or rest your foot on the rest, you might just be opening that slat with your foot. This slat, when open (or closed, I dunno) allows the cool AC air to pass into the centre console.
It's a silly thing, but I have had instances where I have had HOT air coming from the louvres and I don't even know why. I zeroed it down to my foot movements and closed the slat with my foot. Chilled air within seconds.

THIS is an isolated situation and happened to me. Don't consider this as the solution to your problem.
frankmehta is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2012, 20:21   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozzlering View Post
Its strange!! Ac being controlled by Clutch
Any repair job done recently?
I would suggest you to do one small test. Or maybe you have done already. Car is in neutral. Start the car. switch on ac and blower. Cooling will start. Now just press clutch pedal and keep in this position for some time. Is ac working or not?
Did the check, in neutral with clutch depressed - AC is still cooling, putted it in the 1st gear, started leaving clutch with accelerator, AC stopped cooling, and little more accelerator, AC again started cooling, don't know what's with it

Will be taking it to the expert tomorrow .

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Ok, you shall laugh. But here's a pointer. Now I have driven 2 Accents over 3 years and I can assuredly tell you nothing is wrong with the car. Do one thing, take a torch and check to the left of the footrest. There is a plastic slit/window that can move with your foot. Every time you put your foot down to depress the clutch or rest your foot on the rest, you might just be opening that slat with your foot. This slat, when open (or closed, I dunno) allows the cool AC air to pass into the centre console.
It's a silly thing, but I have had instances where I have had HOT air coming from the louvres and I don't even know why. I zeroed it down to my foot movements and closed the slat with my foot. Chilled air within seconds.

THIS is an isolated situation and happened to me. Don't consider this as the solution to your problem.
Thanks alot for sharing this, will surely try it tomorrow

Cheers
Sameer

Last edited by sameerg001 : 26th May 2012 at 20:29.
Old 28th May 2012, 20:52   #8
Senior - BHPian

I got the reason behind, the problem is that, whenever i release clutch with accelerator along in 1st gear, the rpm goes up and as soon as i start leaving the clutch, rpm drops down for a moment and again rises.

So, when rpm drops AC stops for few seconds and again it starts. Once i go above 1st gear, the problem disappears, that's why it becomes a little irritating in bumper to bumper traffic, where i hardly manage to go above 1st gear.

No, what could be the issue, why rpm drops for a moment, while accelerating in 1st gear ?

Cheers
Sameer

Last edited by sameerg001 : 28th May 2012 at 20:53.
Old 28th May 2012, 22:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

i dont think RPM dropping is related to 1st gear.
Try pulling the car in 2nd gear from standstill and check if that happens.

Throttle cable might be getting Jammed at times, do get that checked.

Try this in reverse gear as well to see if it happens.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2012, 08:34   #10
BHPian

sameerg001, your idle air controller (IAC) is chocked, or on it's way out. That is the reason the rpm drops & then rises again. Get your full intake system decarbed. If the problem persists, then it's the IAC valve.
1self is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2012, 22:08   #11
Senior - BHPian

I got the issue, it was related with accelerator cable. Thanks everyone for helping me out on the issue

MODS: Please close this thread as issue has been sorted out.

Cheers
Sameer
sameerg001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 00:23   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
MODS: Please close this thread as issue has been sorted out.

Cheers
Sameer
Good to know that the issue is sorted now.

No need to close the thread, this thread will help people who might face similar issues in future.
Technocrat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2014, 12:16   #13
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Accent : AC not working with clutch depressed EDIT : Now resolved

Hey guys, i need help with my car AC too. I have the hyundai accent

My car AC used to work perfectly but suddenly it stopped cooling. I went to the AC workshop, there was no leak whatsoever. He advised me to do the servicing of my AC. But its still the same. There is no cooling.

The problem started when my friend was driving the car in a hot afternoon when i had a problem with the bottom of my radiator leaking a little bit of water. There was a noise "gas release type noise(ssshhhhhhh)" from the hood and after that the AC stopped working. I got the radiator's bottom fixed though. Also, there is no coolant.. Just water
Old 4th October 2014, 12:27   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrish90 View Post
Hey guys, i need help with my car AC too. I have the hyundai accent

Also, there is no coolant.. Just water
First and foremost thing to do - refill the whole loop with the correct ratio of coolant:water at an FNG then check for any leakages etc.

Anurag.
Old 4th October 2014, 18:50   #15
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Accent : AC not working with clutch depressed EDIT : Now resolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
First and foremost thing to do - refill the whole loop with the correct ratio of coolant:water at an FNG then check for any leakages etc.

Anurag.
Thanks for the reply Anurag.
But after i'd replaced the bottom of the radiator, the mechanic asked me to not put coolant for 2-3 days because if there was any leak, the coolant would get wasted. He advised me to use the car on water and check the coolant reservoir if it is becomes empty again then there would possibly be more leakage.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks