Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2012, 16:50   #16
BHPian

Re: Ford Ikon: Jammed Fuel Rail

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM2488 View Post
I'm thinking of developing a reader on an AVR, so that is definitely gonna happen at some point. I don't think the engine is giving a code though. I might be wrong of course.
What is an AVR , I would like to know how to develop a reader
Old 23rd June 2012, 17:09   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst_delhi View Post
What is an AVR , I would like to know how to develop a reader
An AVR is a microcontroller family from Atmel. Microcontrollers are basically integrated circuits that can be programmed to function as you want them to. Think about an IC that you know- eg, a 555- timer. Now imagine if you wanted it to perform a complicated timing sequence- for example, turn on blinkers for short bursts, then long bursts, and then short bursts again, but only while you're reversing. While doing this with discrete logic is possible, a microcontroller will enable you to simply WRITE the code to do this. A microcontroller, depending on it's features, will let you do this and a lot more. I once developed a module (prototype only) that gave one-touch up and down power windows to a Swift DZire VDi.

AVR and PIC are pretty popular families, and are easily available in India. And it is cost effective too- I used an ATTiny2313 for the power windows hack, which only cost 45/- at the time- not including the motor drivers, but you get the idea- discrete logic would have cost a lot more, and would not have been as easy to build or modify. An average car has at least a few microcontrollers in it, proprietory ones. The biggest one would, of course, be the ECU. They can be reprogrammed at will, by competent people.

I'm rethinking the build-an-OBDII-reader approach. An ELM 327 bluetooth reader is available for less than 2000/- bucks, might be cost effective to buy one. I do intend to build one, but I'm not in such a hurry anymore.

As far as the additive is concerned, I forget the name- I think it's from ELF. I'll have to check the name and get back to you.
RM2488 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2012, 18:46   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM2488 View Post
An AVR is a microcontroller family from Atmel. Microcontrollers are basically integrated circuits that can be programmed to function as you want them to. Think about an IC that you know- eg, a 555- timer. Now imagine if you wanted it to perform a complicated timing sequence- for example, turn on blinkers for short bursts, then long bursts, and then short bursts again, but only while you're reversing. While doing this with discrete logic is possible, a microcontroller will enable you to simply WRITE the code to do this. A microcontroller, depending on it's features, will let you do this and a lot more. I once developed a module (prototype only) that gave one-touch up and down power windows to a Swift DZire VDi.

AVR and PIC are pretty popular families, and are easily available in India. And it is cost effective too- I used an ATTiny2313 for the power windows hack, which only cost 45/- at the time- not including the motor drivers, but you get the idea- discrete logic would have cost a lot more, and would not have been as easy to build or modify. An average car has at least a few microcontrollers in it, proprietory ones. The biggest one would, of course, be the ECU. They can be reprogrammed at will, by competent people.

I'm rethinking the build-an-OBDII-reader approach. An ELM 327 bluetooth reader is available for less than 2000/- bucks, might be cost effective to buy one. I do intend to build one, but I'm not in such a hurry anymore.

As far as the additive is concerned, I forget the name- I think it's from ELF. I'll have to check the name and get back to you.

Brilliant! Tiny hacks ! yes you can get ELM readers for $9.99 on deals extreme. ELF additive let me search.
Old 23rd June 2012, 18:56   #19
BHPian

Okay, it's by TOTAL which is apparently an Elf brand or something (it's on their site- TOTAL Additives and Special Fuels. TOTAL Additifs et Carburants Spéciaux). I use a product called P994 which is an additive, not strictly a pure injector cleaner. I used it in higher than recommended dosage to clear out the injectors sooner, for my engine is past 80K.
Old 24th June 2012, 21:21   #20
BHPian

I decided to bite the bullet and buy an ELM 327. Will tell you how it goes.

The fuel additive is really working now. I went from a previous non-AC city mileage of 6 to a non-AC highway mileage of 11 in less than 50 kms run. I am using a 4X dosage though. Once the injectors are clean, I think it'll run fine. The car had been idle for a long time before I bought it. Now even the fuel pump has become quieter. The engine NEVER stalls with the clutch-brake-turn manuever now. It idles much smoother now, with way less vibrations. I think we'll be able to close this thread in a week if they get properly cleaned. Not the perfect solution though.
RM2488 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks