Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2006, 00:27   #16
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about this Wolfinstein it's really sad when such things happen. You could try Pandit & Co. at 26839166, 41612844 ask for Mr. Pradeep pandit and tell him Ishan sent you and he would be able to advise you correctly. He will be cheaper than the Mitsubishi but by how much I can't say. I can vouch for the quality of his work the rest is upto you.

Hope this helps.

Ishan
Old 14th April 2006, 05:24   #17
Senior - BHPian

Oh!

Looks Like I missed a lot. similar thing happened with me.

It was my First day of the prelims at the college. It was also the first time I was taking my sfxi baby to college. The road near my college packs up completely between 12 to 1.30 . I somehow park the car, get out and

crassssshhhhhh!!!!

comes a kinetic on the rear brake light. The girls shouts " abbey Chalana Nahin aata kya?"

I was laughing in Anger. I am seeing her crashing my car with her vehicle and she is blaming me . LOL. I didnt know what to say. My rear left light was broken with a scratch on the bumper.

I sweared dat day to never ever take my car to the college during the day.

Took her to cama. The manager knows us well and said " saheb Chinta naa karo. Hun joi laish". We had to pay a tot of 2k and all the lafda of insurance and police and everything was handled by the dealer. on top of that even some other scratches were covered up in the process. LOL

Last edited by devarshi84 : 14th April 2006 at 05:26.
Old 14th April 2006, 09:55   #18
BHPian

Hey Guys,

Well the problem is that the clutch is as good as it was the when we bought the car, The car had clocked Only 25,000 KM in the first 3 years and after that we started using it so much that now it stands at 59832 KM..! in a total of 5 years, The clutch feels good...However its the doubt the manager has placed in my head that If we remove the Gear Box Assembly, Then the clutch system might need replacement as it will have oil on it, and since its almost time to replace the clutch in few thousands KM you can save the trouble....! The thing is that Since its working fine, I really don't see the need to replace the system-Or is it like mandatory that you have to change at an interval...???

Clutch Replacement Should I not choose is going to save me 10,000 Rs and that is a Big amount..!

However I doubt that once a Car's Gear Box or clutch is opened it can pack the same punch it had when orignally sealed by HM-Mitsubishi Plant..! The car still drives smooth and zooommmm's like a rocket and don't want to lose that zing..!

@Ishan Raghava, Sorry Bhai got your name wrong-Ishan then it is from now..! Thanks for the Tip..I will try to speak to Pandit Motors.

I have moved the car today, and find no oil spill...So am really confused what I should do...Should I go for replacement or not..! I 'm going out now for scouting the lights..will come back and let you all know..!

BTW I'm not using Insurance for this work as , Its not going to save me a real big money, I will save the insurance for a future time , which looks so much like a reality considering the bad patch Me and My Lancer are going through..!

Thanks for the Support Guys,

Regards
Old 14th April 2006, 11:09   #19
Senior - BHPian

Wolf,

If you have seen no fresh oil spillage - then it was the faulty seal. About the clutch , i dont presonally think it needs replacement from your description but it never hurts to take a second opinion. Have another Mitsubishi service centre drive your car and check if the clutch needs replacement.

Cheers
Old 15th April 2006, 19:40   #20
Senior - BHPian

Hey wolf if you still have the problem with the lights i cna give you some suggestions. recently i had the weardest idea of getting the new model esteem lights fitted in my type 2 esteem . i went to the maruti showroom and the price for the crystal head lamps was 2200 Rs and the tail lamp was 15oo Rs. I went to Jama Masjid and brought the complete set for 1800 Rs and got fitted those for Rs 150. I know some shops in jama masjid so if you really want the tail lamps PM me and i will give you their address.
Old 18th April 2006, 00:22   #21
BHPian

Well...Guys finally managed to get the whole system up and running, Before I post more..Can Someone Tell Me how to Share Photo's on Team-bhp in a thread, As I clicked some snaps of the whole procedure and would like to share them here..!

Ok- Reach Workshop at 9:30 AM
Work Starts on removing All bolts and Air filter/Battery, Most of the Right side of the engine compartment has been removed, except the radiator/Fans/Hoses/Fuel Filter...!

11:00 AM The Mechanic, Lifts the car and begins dismantiling the under carriage, First comes of the Engine Protector, followed by the Axel's and drive shafts/ Wheels are removed/Transmission Fluid-Engine Oil whats left of it..!

12:00 PM The Mech goes on his routine Chai Break, back after 15 min to now work on removing the Gear Box. Opens the remaing Lock's and removes the Mounting..!

Places the engine on support of a metal support stool -Engine hanging a little despite the support...takes 3 mech's just to remove the Gear System..! Damn Heavy..!

1:00 PM- Finishes removing the Gear Box Assembly/clutch plates etc, Turns out that the problem of Oil dripping was because the Engine Main Seal was leaking..ie-The seal just before the clutch system and the engine...Get that replaced cost- Rs 1200.

Cleans the area and applies a sealant and fixes the new seal...! Leaves that for an hour, Begins checking Clutch plates..! Clutch plates are in excellent condition and will last another 75 K Km..! Now here he takes the Clutch Bearing and says that will be replaced- Reason as its Soaked in Oil ( I actually don't understand-Isn't the bearing supposed to be dipped in Oil or is it that the Grease in the bearing is corroded by oil, whatever be the case, I was given two options either to put the old one back only to have it replaced later or Replace now and forget about it-Cost of Bearing - Rs.1800) I got it replaced though, I don't buy the logic unless my friends here can wise me of the reason..???

3 PM system is all clean and is ready to be packed and loaded back into the car- The task begins and all done by 5 PM.

Now here are certain things which happened subsequently- I managed to have the car cleaned and washed all inclusive in the price I paid,
Since the Battery was removed for over 5 hours- The ECU was reset, I had asked the manager to get it checked using the MUT , Got that done and for some reason the car was on higher RPM ( Here is what I mean- On regular basis the car idles at 900 RPM Just below the 1000 Mark, And when you acclerate it adjust the RPM between 1000 and 2000 RPM..But now after the Reset was done the car was Idleing at 1000 and When accelrated it moved to 2500-3000 RPM and then came down within a few seconds back to the usual 1000-2000 RPM where it should be- I figured that it could be some minor adjustment needed, Turns out I'm be sold some logic of the throttle being dirty and has to opened and cleaned-Cost-Rs 650...Since the car was recently serviced and throttle adjusted and cleaned with the Dissolvent Spray..I Think it was a fast one they were trying to pull on me..I din't do it...Took the car for a spin and when all was okay went home a little pissed bout the throttle bit)

Here Was what Happend at the service station- After all this I went the next day and to search for Replacement Brake Pads- Went to Khan Market found Shops having the Orignal Brake Pad ( Sumi-Tomo for Rs.2100) and the only next thing they offered were Korean or Taiwanse brands for Rs.700...Din't buy....Came back to Batra Automobiles at Ashram and found Brake Pads of RANE for 650...Bought them and here is why- Rane is a reputed OEM seller of Brake Systems and Power Steering, Rane makes brakes for Honda/ Maruti- Maruti I can vouch- Honda as I was told..! But then found them perfect, superior braking and no noise...hope will last me long enough..I had got the Disc's polished also-Cost-Rs 250.

About the Tail-Lights, I spoke to my agent and was advised to wait till later..and I took the light out and fixed it with Super-Wiz and sealed the remaining crack with Super-Wiz. Its holding strong enough, Will not last very long I know but at least till I can get a good claim is all I need.

So here's the entire story, I hope someone can answer the few queries I have asked in between and a few I'm about to Ask ..He He He..lol

1) Was it neccessary for me to have the clutch bearing changed- Oil on it would have damaged it or what ?

2) ECU being Reset, Is the Higher RPM because of the Factory Setting or does my throttle needs to be cleaned..?

3) What could have been the actual cause of this Oil Seal leak, It seems very unheard of that a car of such excellent build as the Lancer can develop Oil seal leaks at 59,832 KM or 5 years-3 Months..! I had recently got the car serviced and as per advise of fellow members chose to have the engine flushed with STP Engine Flush-Could this have been a reason...I wonder because- I always have regular service- The engine oil is always clean never burnt or dark brown, Never seen any sludging in the engine or the engine oil..even when I had used STP there was no sludge that came, only dark brown engine oil...! So what may have been a reason ??? The showroom guy has a new theory which I must share- He said since you used Castrol Engine oil of 20W, The oil seeped through the seal--I wonder as I have always used the Lancer Servo 10W-30 as sold by the showroom except once a few years back and Once just this time...! Now I'm really confused ??? Please Help

4) Ok, I know by now you guys are all bored but this is just one last one..!
I'm intrested in having a slight modification done- I want to convert the Headlamps and the grill of my lancer SFX-i into That of the Luxury Edition..Looks pretty simple to me- Just need the Bonnet to be re-shaped and The new lights, Is it that simple..Who can do this in delhi..I've heard of Auto psyce on this forum, but fear he will be too expensive..! Suggestions anyone..!

Regards
Old 19th April 2006, 15:10   #22
BHPian

Guys, I really could use some help with this ^^?
Old 20th April 2006, 10:49   #23
BHPian

Anyone...! Please help me clear these doubts...!
Old 27th April 2006, 14:14   #24
BHPian

Here are a few pics..Sorry was by the time figured out that I was not getting thumbnails, it was too late..please bear with me...I'll keep it in mind next time of thumbnails..!

The Damage

The Gear Shaft and Clutch

The Brake

Old 20th May 2007, 16:40   #25
Senior - BHPian

hey wolf, how are the RANE brake pads holding up? you've had them for over a year now... any issues? how about wear?
and most importantly, how's the braking?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed