Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2012, 17:39   #46
BHPian

Re: My Mercedes W124 E220 - Head Issue

Can anyone help with this new issue of mine?

I am getting noise similar to sound of wind blowing through a vent (make it a little harsher)...from the rear side. I guess it comes from the differencial. This is dependent on the movement of the vehicle doesnt really increase with speed. It ONLY comes when decelerating, weather in gear or Neutral and goes away when stopping completely. THre sound is there even at walking speeds and goes only when the car completely stops. its independent of engine RPM and DOES NOT come up at acceleration, goes away the moment you hit the throttle. Its not the clutch bearing...clutching in-out makes no difference.

Issue pinpointed to movement of the vehicle during deceleration

Can anyone throw some light on axle/differencial maintenance for the W124 E220 Merc? Is there any propeller shaft or bearing i need to grease?

Correct me if I am wrong here...AFAIK and seen underneath, this car does not have U joints on either ends of the axle as the differencial is bolted to the chassis and had seperate axles for each side (like a typical front wheel drive) for each rear wheel. the axle is bolted directly to the diff via a rubber coupler kind of thing (i guess they call it flex discs) This is unlike a mahindra or a safari whose diff. jumps about with the wheels, hence needing u joints/flex yoke setup to transfer torque from the tranny.

would be grateful for any clues/suggestions!!
Old 27th December 2012, 19:59   #47
BHPian

the sound could be a simple differencial bearing noise. to be sure you could try and replace the diff oil with some fresh diff oil and it could stop the noise.
and the axles coming from the diff to the wheels are called CV joints, exactly the same as a FWD car.
Old 9th March 2013, 23:18   #48
BHPian

yup diff bearing it is! thanks a ton!

My petrol E220 of late had started to shudder, cough, pop/misfire during cold starts. It is more so during early mornings. Eventually it settles down with occasion engine stake/stumble at idle...this happend after i cleaned the throttle body with choke/carb cleaner, performs much better when warmed up.

it seems temperature related as it used to take round 3 minutes for the symptoms to settle down when it was cold about a month ago..and now its about 15 seconds or so... scan codes point to MAF sensor reading too high. any idea what that means? I suspect a vacuum leak in the system.

Also today i found this wire hanging loose in the engine bay (see pic). This wire leads to the ECU. I couldn't find any place where it can fit..any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
My Mercedes W124 E220 - Head Issue-imag0771.jpg  

Old 10th March 2013, 20:28   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportz_kruzer View Post
My petrol E220 of late had started to shudder, cough, pop/misfire during cold starts. It is more so during early mornings.
...this happend after i cleaned the throttle body with choke/carb cleaner, performs much better when warmed up.

it seems temperature related as it used to take round 3 minutes for the symptoms to settle down when it was cold about a month ago..and now its about 15 seconds or so... scan codes point to MAF sensor reading too high. any idea what that means? I suspect a vacuum leak in the system.
MAF senor is the Mass Air Flow sensor mostly located on the air intake manifold. It senses the mass and temperature of air flowing into the engine. Based on this information, the ECU computes the injection timings for optimum performance. It is possible that the mixture is being left too lean by the ECU based on incorrect signals from the MAF sensor.

Last edited by Tejas Ingle : 10th March 2013 at 20:29. Reason: Typing error

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks