Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2006, 09:53   #1
BHPian

Alto Lxi Speedo Upgrade

Hi guys I have an Alto Lxi 2004 model with the original speedo and want to fit the one which comes with the Alto Vx i.e. with the tachometer and the built in key in buzzer . Any ideas as most of the guys I know are not aware weither it will work as the speedos are digital recieving the signals directly from the Ecu.Thank you!
Old 20th April 2006, 10:47   #2
BHPian

Don't think there should be a problem with the ECU not sending Digital Signal's since ECU will be common however a difference could be that The ECU might have the speedo controls locked, So you may need to speak with our in-house car modifiers who can guide you how and where to do this...!
Old 21st April 2006, 15:26   #3
BHPian

Speedo Upgrade of WagonR Lxi

In the same line of thought, just want to know if I can upgrade the Speedo display in my Wagon Lxi to that of WagonR Vxi (which has additional TachoMeter, Key and LightsOn Buzzer).

How much would it cost ? Worth ?? Has anybody done this mod before ?
Old 2nd May 2006, 16:36   #4
BANNED

I would love to do this to my ALTO! But I think it's not so easy!
Old 5th May 2006, 11:45   #5
BHPian

Conversion possible

I have read the alto service manual and the lx,lxi come with a tacho meter reading coming out form the ecu to the speedo which is electronic and as per the service manual the color of the wire is brown which I have verified by removing my lxi speedo and confirming the existence of this wire goin into the speedo from the ecu the only diffetence is that the lxi does not have the tacho speedo and the vxi has one.So I think you can just fit the vxi speedo and it will work because the necessary wiring exists,the only drawback being the vx speedo costs 5100 rs plus taxes .
Old 5th May 2006, 12:04   #6
BHPian

Thanks for sharing the info.

Now one has to think if it's worth putting this 5K extra for Tacho. This 5.1K is not the cost of the tacho alone, but the entire panel board (including the speedo and other indicators and gauges).

So it is better if one can negotiate with dealer for upgrading the panel board (with a Tacho from VXi's) while purchasing Lxi Car before taking delivery. Upgrade while the car is new would cost much much lesser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anky
I have read the alto service manual and the lx,lxi come with a tacho meter reading coming out form the ecu to the speedo which is electronic and as per the service manual the color of the wire is brown which I have verified by removing my lxi speedo and confirming the existence of this wire goin into the speedo from the ecu the only diffetence is that the lxi does not have the tacho speedo and the vxi has one.So I think you can just fit the vxi speedo and it will work because the necessary wiring exists,the only drawback being the vx speedo costs 5100 rs plus taxes .
Old 5th May 2006, 12:23   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anky
Are you sure about the wiring aspect? I wanted to do this in my 2003 Indica LSi by putting in the LXi tacho and temp+fuel gauges. What I was given to understand was that the wiring connector is of 2-pin type in the LSi while being 3-pin in the LXi. The TASC said replacing the whole console was the only way to do it (if they were to do it) and suggested an aftermarket tacho if I was really keen on the tacho (much cheaper although at the cost of looks, if I wanted to maintain the factory dash look).

As we all know, Tata made the tacho standard fitment in the Refreshingly New Indica V2 series from 2004.
Old 5th May 2006, 12:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hmm even I would like to upgrade my entire speedo console to the one which was present in the VX as it would anyday be better than an after market popping out of the dashboard tacho.

Also any idea guys where can I get the chromed tip on the grill which was presnt in the VX ??
Old 8th May 2006, 11:32   #9
BHPian

Connectors are same!

Hi the connectors for alto lxi speedo and vxi speedo are same . I checked them wit the dealer .
Old 15th July 2009, 09:58   #10
BANNED

Haha I'm 3 years late, but let me share my experience. I had an Alto LXI and the speedo console got damaged when the car went for painting. The painter managed to get the full dashboard including the speedo from an accident damaged and scrapped Alto VX. This was fitted in my car and worked perfectly. The cost was Rs.1500 only.
Old 15th July 2009, 12:27   #11
Senior - BHPian

Can I fit a separate aftermarket tacho for my Alto LXi? How much will it cost?
Old 15th July 2009, 12:51   #12
Senior - BHPian

Yes,This can very well be done,just enquired with the guy from surakshaa,but its gonna set back you by 6k on the pocket including the installation etc.

Better to source this from a accident vehicle,will work out very cheap.

New Wagon-R steerig wheel with chrom acent look good for Alto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Can I fit a separate aftermarket tacho for my Alto LXi? How much will it cost?
Yes,u can.will cost you 2-2.5k upwards.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Technocrat : 15th July 2009 at 13:33. Reason: please read the note in post, thanks
Old 15th July 2009, 13:54   #13
BANNED

I have seen some tacho's at accessory shops for less than 1K. Do they work?
Old 15th July 2009, 14:56   #14
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious55 View Post
I have seen some tacho's at accessory shops for less than 1K. Do they work?
Most of them work fine for a few weeks and then conk out. A fried of mine had fitted one of these tachos on his M800 and it failed to light up after a week and then totally stopped working in a month or so.

Will be best if you go for a good brand.
Old 15th July 2009, 15:09   #15
gpa
Senior - BHPian

I'm also interested in getting a tacho for my Alto. Would the one from the A-Star or newly launched Ritz fit into the Alto? I like them as they are very well designed for an on dash fit.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks