Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2012, 10:42   #16

WD40 SPRAY for caring window glass up and down movement in Mumbai's weather.

Its been observed that in Mumbai your car starts to give problems due to coastal weather like rats menace and rusting.

Rusting effects the window channels which effects glass's up and down movement, by making it slow and stiff.

I came across this mechanic in 2011 in my area who suggested me to buy WD 40 SPRAY from a HARDWARE shop.

Have been using it whenever I feel slow glass movement, this thing instantly smoothens the channels which allows great scrolling.

A lot of money can be saved as in most of the cases the garages tend to fool you by charging not less than 1000 bucks to repair glass channels.

This spray will cost you only Rs.95 and is avaialbale at all hardware shops.
rhuturaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2013, 18:32   #17
BHPian

Guys need some advice, my wd40 can is over and the doors have started squeaking. I was wondering if this is any good

Name:  image812941362.png
Views: 4068
Size:  344.1 KB

If yes any idea on the price and availability in Mumbai

Sid
Old 28th July 2013, 21:02   #18
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddharthdeb View Post
Guys need some advice, my wd40 can is over and the doors have started squeaking. I was wondering if this is any good

Attachment 1117780

Yes you can certainly use it on rubber seals which will help in reducing the noise and keep the rubber moisturized, just like epidermal skin of ours needs Vaseline.

Vicky.in retails it but many bhpains had a bad experience purchasing from them. Do let us know from where you finally source it.

Vicky.in

Info about Cyclo.

Last edited by Rehaan : 29th July 2013 at 11:53. Reason: Splitting post between 2 threads. Thanks.
Old 28th July 2013, 22:44   #19
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

WD40 is easily available over the counter at most hardware and better car accessory shops all over Bombay and other cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddharthdeb View Post

Attachment 1117780

Sid
Old 13th January 2014, 14:08   #20
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)
Re: WD-40 / Zorrik : Uses, Restrictions, Limitations & Pitfalls

Greetings,
So I am not clear if Zorrick 88 can be used as an electrical contact cleaner or only for mechanical parts? I am about to open my Dell flat panel monitor to clean the contacts as the buttons are not working.

Thanks
--R
Old 13th January 2014, 14:58   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Greetings,
So I am not clear if Zorrick 88 can be used as an electrical contact cleaner or only for mechanical parts? I am about to open my Dell flat panel monitor to clean the contacts as the buttons are not working.

Thanks
--R

Use compressed air and alcohol for your electronic panels and contacts. Big difference between sensitivity of a car part and a TV

Last edited by genesis : 13th January 2014 at 14:59.
Old 13th January 2014, 18:13   #22

Apart from use in car related stuff, WD-40 is also supposed to stop leather shoes from squeaking!
Old 14th January 2014, 13:10   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... I am about to open my Dell flat panel monitor to clean the contacts as the buttons are not working. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
Use compressed air and alcohol for your electronic panels and contacts ...
Please check first what type of switches are involved before using anything other than air blown through a straw. Using alcohol or WD40 / Zorrik is dangerous as these can have an undesirable side effect - that of dissolving a couple of things that actually are part of the functionality.

If the switches are the 'chiclet' type (conductive rubber underside on the rubber key, bridging 2 pads on the PCB) the correct tool is a pencil eraser rubbed on the PCB pads, and nothing on the key undersides.

If the keys are sealed square switches ('Cherry keys'; they give a tactile feedback when pressed), there is nothing you can do other than painstakingly replacing them. But then these switches seldom go bad.
DerAlte is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2014, 15:47   #24
BANNED

This is what it looks like (see attached pic). I cannot remove the screws as they are rusted. So i dont know if they are chiclet type.

The problem is due to my cat spraying urine on the monitor frequently as a territorial mark.

Can i spray zorrick on those rusted screws and pcb to loosen them?
Attached Thumbnails
WD-40 / Zorrik : Uses, Restrictions, Limitations & Pitfalls-uploadfromtaptalk1389694504459.jpg  

Last edited by Ragul : 14th January 2014 at 15:59.
Old 14th January 2014, 17:46   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Can i spray zorrick on those rusted screws and pcb to loosen them?
Sure, but dribble a drop onto the screw (instead of spraying) and wait for a few minutes before attempting to unscrew.
Old 14th January 2014, 17:53   #26
BANNED

Done and re-assembled. No luck. The same contact points are still not working. Only the power button works as before. I guess I will have to replace that little pcb.

Thanks
-R
Old 14th January 2014, 18:39   #27
Senior - BHPian

The most common issue in most households relates to the handles of the pressure cooker getting loose and shaky. And this affects the lower handle more. The culprit is rust on the long screw that holds the handle to the cooker base.

I've used WD40 with alarming success, but after reading this article regarding its inflammable nature, I'm having second thoughts about using it again. But I've never used the cooker for at least 15 minutes after spraying and screwing the handle.

Any thoughts?
Old 15th January 2014, 11:23   #28
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
The most common issue in most households relates to the handles of the pressure cooker getting loose and shaky. And this affects the lower handle more. The culprit is rust on the long screw that holds the handle to the cooker base.

I've used WD40 with alarming success, but after reading this article regarding its inflammable nature, I'm having second thoughts about using it again. But I've never used the cooker for at least 15 minutes after spraying and screwing the handle.

Any thoughts?
You are not really reading the recent posts are you? Scroll up for a video demo of wd40 with a burner.

-R
Old 25th March 2014, 11:48   #29
BHPian

Can I use WD-40 for removing sticker glue residue from car body? Will it damage the paint?
Thanks in advance.
Old 25th March 2014, 11:57   #30
Senior - BHPian

Do not use wd 40 for electronic components/switches. Get abro contact cleaner spray (available on ebay india)
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed