Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2012, 08:22   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Fuel pump / fuel system issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
Some times, I ponder if the old generation diesels (non-CRDI) were really better in terms of reliability. And even if they weren't, they were surely much easier to repair, both in terms of costs as well as complexity.
Last week i took out the ford 1.8D's fuel pump out because of the bearing noise. The whole pump service, including the injectors costs Rs 4.8k.

When things are purely mechanical, there's greater peace in mind.

Last edited by ramzsys : 10th November 2012 at 08:23.
Old 12th November 2012, 12:40   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Alls well that ends well and thats a pretty enlightening experience for everyone. Thanks for sharing.
OTOH, I'm not sure captain Jack Sparrow is going to be too pleased about being ripped off by the Toyota Stealers.
Couldn't help Nitrous, was in need of the car and had to settle with the dealer.
Though we knew that Lanson charges exhorbitantly for repairs like these, we had to take it to the dealer (The service costs are not very high and presume Toyota directs them).

Also, we have the habit of sending the cars only to the dealerships and not taking out /scouting for service stations that can repair it separately. The total cost worked out to 43 K including labour. 11K extra than what CDM had paid....
Old 12th November 2012, 14:08   #18
BHPian

Did you by any chance get the DENSO fuel pump part number? I find it hard to believe that fuel pump new in 35K; i am sure there are cheaper sources out there
Old 30th January 2013, 11:04   #19
BHPian

Sx4 ZDi fuel pump issue

Hey all,

My 5 month old Sx4 Zdi has been having the typical MJD hissing noise from its fuel pump, and whats more this is the second time this problem has come up on my 5 month - 7K KMs old vehicle.

I got this strange continuous hissing sort of a sound from the rear of the vehicle at about the 2 month mark when the vehicle had barely covered about 1.5-2K kms, promptly took it to the service center and the service guys told me that this is definitely the sound of the fuel pump. Advise was to change the fuel pump, which was done within warranty with no questions asked.

I drove around happily but during the last week or so, the same old sound has come up again some 500 Kms ago.

A few searches on the forum and on google pointed that this a normal thing with all 1.3 MJD's but most of the forums talked only about the initial hissing sound which lasts for only about a second or so. My Sx4 though has been making a running hissing sound which comes on with about a smallish drive of say 4-5 Kms . Of-course the initial one second sound is also present. The sound typically lessens in extent on filling up, and as the tank gets towards the half-way mark the sound goes on increasing steadily.

I plan to take the car to the service centre again for this problem over this or maybe the next weekend, for which i am sure the service centre guys would replace the fuel pump. But, before i do that wanted to take opinion of all the experts here, is this sound normal, should i continue churning along without bothering about the problem ?? Or should i go ahead and get the fuel pump replaced ?? If so, what should i do if the problem comes up again in say another 4-5 K kms ???

Any help would be appreciated. TIA

Mods: Tried searching the forum for this particular problem, but got no definitive answers. Please merge if there already exists some dedicated thread to this.
Old 30th January 2013, 11:49   #20
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sx4 ZDi fuel pump issue

The first suspect that comes to mind is bad fuel as the sound has started with the new fuel pump also. Do you always fill up from the same bunk? Try using some other petrol bunks.

Another suggestion would be to get the pump replaced again and while they are it ask them to check the voltage the fuel pump is getting. It may not be getting enough power and hence be causing this hissing noise. Ask them to do a thorough check up of all fuel pump related electrical wiring and allied components. For all you know it may be a simple loose contact in the pump wiring.
Old 7th August 2013, 02:23   #21
BHPian

Re: Fuel pump / fuel system issue?

Our Toyota Corolla Altis also has faced a similar problem now at 50k. The car would refuse to start. We happened to call our regular Toyota SA who then sent over a technician from the Shinrai Toyota workshop. He just did a very primary and basic diagnosis of which I am not entirely convinced of and pointed out the fuel pump has gone wonky. Now my SA immediately points out the fact that getting it replaced at the workshop will be a costly affair (16k), he seemed to be pretty confident of the fact that he could procure the part from Toyota itself and would open the box in front of me before installation, which will not be in the Shinrai Toyota Service Centre but elsewhere and he'd charge me 9k for it.

Now, another thing to add here is that, this is my sisters personal car and literally no one is permitted to use it apart from her. This means, even the maintenance aspect cannot be taken care of by me. Left to her own devices, she's skipped I don't know how many routine services. She's a non-car person and all she knows of is Toyota's are bulletproof reliable and her missing services really doesn't matter.

The moment I heard that it could be the fuel pump, my immediate thought went to the fact that my sisters hellbent on using Speed/Power fuel only, and has kept the car on that diet since the very first day, it's never had a regular petrol fill up. This happened despite me being an aware motorist and petrol head. This rubbish branding/marketing technique of it being 'premium' can really be misleading. Thats what my sister has fallen prey to. Is this fuel type to be blamed for this apparent damage to the fuel pump?

I'm thinking of getting the car towed to the service centre and have a proper diagnosis of what exactly is wrong and then decide what further action needs to be taken.

BHP-Ian's, technical gurus, please throw some light on this for me.

Last edited by n:CorE : 7th August 2013 at 02:29.
Old 16th July 2015, 10:12   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDM View Post
Total cost including labour for dismantling and putting back was ~Rs. 32,000.

The car has been running fine since then. The pickup and vibration level has improved. Just took the car to Shimla and she started on the first crank after being parked for 3 days.
CDM, I hope you don't mind making this hibernating thread alive again. Got the reference of this thread from a similar thread recently started by TBHP member, speedmunster in this forum (thanks to TBHP member, Jack Sparrow for pointing me to this thread). Posting that thread link here for everyone's benefit ----> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ealership.html

Also many thanks to CDM for starting this thread. Since it is almost 2.5 years now that you fitted this refurbished FIP (Fuel Injection Pump) CDM, would like to know from you, has the refurbished FIP served you well? Were there any other issues noted related to FIP all this while? How much has the car run after the FIP replacement?
Old 16th July 2015, 19:22   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n:CorE View Post
.......The moment I heard that it could be the fuel pump, my immediate thought went to the fact that my sisters hellbent on using Speed/Power fuel only, and has kept the car on that diet since the very first day, it's never had a regular petrol fill up. This happened despite me being an aware motorist and petrol head. This rubbish branding/marketing technique of it being 'premium' can really be misleading. Thats what my sister has fallen prey to. Is this fuel type to be blamed for this apparent damage to the fuel pump?

BHP-Ian's, technical gurus, please throw some light on this for me.
IIRC, Toyota always recommends the normal unleaded fuel and not premium ones. I have never filled any of my cars with premium ones, infact not even from Shell bunks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
CDM, I hope you don't mind making this hibernating thread alive again. Got the reference of this thread from a similar thread recently started by TBHP member, speedmunster in this forum (thanks to TBHP member, Jack Sparrow for pointing me to this thread). Posting that thread link here for everyone's benefit ----> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ealership.html

Also many thanks to CDM for starting this thread. Since it is almost 2.5 years now that you fitted this refurbished FIP (Fuel Injection Pump) CDM, would like to know from you, has the refurbished FIP served you well? Were there any other issues noted related to FIP all this while? How much has the car run after the FIP replacement?
Before CDM comment's, let me also tell you that my car has done more than 35K kms after the replacement, and no issues till now. Touchwood.
Jack Sparrow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 20:38   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Sparrow View Post
Before CDM comment's, let me also tell you that my car has done more than 35K kms after the replacement, and no issues till now. Touchwood.
Thank you Jack Sparrow for chirping in this thread (pun intended). 35K and no issues means there is no problem with the pump design and the only thing to blame is the adulterated fuel or running the tank dry.

However these 3 incidences have definitely shaken my confidence in Toyota especially the Innova (don't know how many more such instances might be there). I always thought that Innova was very abuse friendly and almost invincible, but that does not seem to be the case.
Old 19th April 2020, 19:44   #25
BHPian

Toyota Altis - Petrol.

1. Car's fuel filter has not been cleaned in a long time. Can it cause any damage to the pump? Now locked down, can I clean the filter at home?

2. Can the pump go bad if the car is driven on low fuel?

3. Do the pumps go bad slowly or do they just snap and fail all of a sudden?
Old 19th April 2020, 20:53   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
Toyota Altis - Petrol.

1. Car's fuel filter has not been cleaned in a long time.

Fuel filter should be replaced periodically as fuel quality is many times not up to the mark. Although you could extend the replacement of the same but I would suggest replace as and when possible to avoid other issues.

Fuel pumps are immersed in fuel which also helps them keep cool. When you are low on fuel the pump overheats and is a major cause of failure. Also you end up picking up debris and clogging the filter at the fuel pump. Hence its always advisable to avoid running low on fuel to increase fuel pump longevity.
I can't comment on how they fail, usually they start making a weird noise unlike the regular hum, but have also come across fuel pump going kaput just like that with no signs. Best is to avoid low fuel level.
Old 7th May 2022, 16:26   #27
Senior - BHPian

During a long drive a few days back, the fuel gauge started wildly fluctuating. On the return journey, as I was about to start the car after a break, a whining sound was heard along with the usual humming noise from the fuel pump.

Later I took the car to the ASC, where they cleaned the fuel pump, and have advised to replace it. For now, it is working fine.

I am aware that if the fuel pump malfunctions I shall get stranded. Is it advisable to wait and watch, or to replace the fuel pump asap? The car is 2015 model Chevy Beat (Petrol) with 78k km on the odometer.

Last edited by adisan : 7th May 2022 at 16:34.
Old 7th May 2022, 16:35   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisan View Post
I am aware that if the fuel pump malfunctions I shall get stranded. Is it advisable to wait and watch, or to replace the fuel pump asap?
I am not sure what car you have or how old (age/mileage) it is. So keeping that in mind I'd say yes, especially if you go on long highway drives with family. You really don't want to be stranded in the middle of nowhere with no recourse to help from a dealer.

Before a replacement, there are 3 things I'd suggest:
a) Have a dealer check and replace the fuel filter if required
b) Have the fuel tank drained and any sediment cleaned.
c) Check your battery. Low battery voltage affects performance of the fuel pump and other systems in a car. Again, critical if you do long drives as batteries can die at any time.

Quote:
Toyota Altis - Petrol.

1. Car's fuel filter has not been cleaned in a long time. Can it cause any damage to the pump? Now locked down, can I clean the filter at home? -

3. Do the pumps go bad slowly or do they just snap and fail all of a sudden?
This reply comes over 2 years late but my advice:

1. No this part needs to be replaced. It cannot be cleaned
2. Yes, please fill it up before or at least when the low fuel warning goes on. If a pump runs dry, as it can when low levels of fuel slosh around, it can affect the life and of course fuel pressure at the rail.
3. It's an electrical item so all bets are off. Most fail gradually but don't bet on your unit doing so.

Last edited by R2D2 : 7th May 2022 at 16:42. Reason: added reply
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2022, 16:08   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
This reply comes over 2 years late but my advice:

1. No this part needs to be replaced. It cannot be cleaned
2. Yes, please fill it up before or at least when the low fuel warning goes on. If a pump runs dry, as it can when low levels of fuel slosh around, it can affect the life and of course fuel pressure at the rail.
3. It's an electrical item so all bets are off. Most fail gradually but don't bet on your unit doing so.
I had serviced my car from Toyota in the last month for: -

1. Radiator cleaning, T Super long life coolant filling.
2. Error codes - P 0037 and P 0443.
3. Inspecting the fuel system (filter, lines, pump, etc.).

They did 1 and 2 and as for 3, they cleaned the filter and did not find any issue with the pump, but suggested to fill Reliance petrol. I have driven about 4,000 kilometers since the service and things seem good, except for a newly discovered doubt with either the IAC valve or the ignition coils.
Old 8th May 2022, 17:13   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I had serviced my car from Toyota in the last month for: -

1. Radiator cleaning, T Super long life coolant filling.
2. Error codes - P 0037 and P 0443.
3. Inspecting the fuel system (filter, lines, pump, etc.).

They did 1 and 2 and as for 3, they cleaned the filter and did not find any issue with the pump, but suggested to fill Reliance petrol. I have driven about 4,000 kilometers since the service and things seem good, except for a newly discovered doubt with either the IAC valve or the ignition coils.
If they cleaned the filter instead of replacing it, then it becomes a sub optimal solution. The filter is a bit on the expensive side (can't remember how much) but I would recommend a new one.

Take a look at these:

a) P0443 Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit Malfunction
If your car has idling issues then this may be a cause

b) P0037 Code: Heated Oxygen Sensor Heater Control Circuit Low (Bank 1, Sensor 2)
Get this checked too
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks