Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2012, 14:49   #16
Senior - BHPian

Hi neugal,

Im no expert to comment on what exactly is wrong but I can share how I dealt with VW when my car had a diesel leakage.

1. No matter how many mails you write, don't expect any reply from them. Its not the case with VW alone, Maruti did the same to my friend. The higher ups/VW customer care won't reply to your mail.

2. Posting on fb will have zero effect. You will only get standard replies from them and a few comments from visitors.

3. The best way to go forward is to be patient and non-confrontative with your dealer. Don't mean to scare you but he's your only hope.

4. If dealer is unable to fix the issue,leave your car there and ask them to escalate and request a "VW technical team" inspection. Greater chances of finding a solution when escalated.

5. If you are a ACI subscriber write to them,it helped in my case.

I hope your problem is resolved and hopefully the end of all problems with your car.

PS: On a lighter note, I think VW can give some serious competition to TATA when it comes to QC. Diesel leak,turbo issues and now excessive vibrations all in brand new cars

Last edited by shashank.nk : 7th October 2012 at 15:04.
Old 7th October 2012, 17:51   #17
BHPian

Re: Engine Vibration & Rattling in VW Polo TDI 2012

Reply to aaggoswami

I forgot to mention this! When this problem occurs, the car won't accelerates or even moves at high rpm like 3000 and also the vibrations are high on 1st & 2nd gear. It seems that it also burns more fuel however I not sure but I feel so. Also its not possible for me to rise from second basement of my office where I park the car to grade level when this problem occurs. At the same time when I take drive the car in this condition and reached highway (more free space to drive on gurgaon toll road) then car will accelerate few times as if some more fuel is given as I will feel some push as I have given some nitrous gas shot into the engine. So really can't figure out what problem is. I went to the workshop today and they have advised me that they will do test run again and will let me know the situation tomorrow i.e. on Monday. I work in Gurgaon and reside in Delhi so it becomes very difficult for me to reach office. I have invested so much of my time in getting this car repaired that too when I bought the brand like Volkswagen who have invented the TDI engines. Maybe its my bad luck, still keeping my fingers crossed and waiting.

Will keep you all updated.

Rgds
Old 7th October 2012, 22:46   #18
BANNED

Neugal!

The coil type light that is showing up on the console is of the Glow Plugs and they are not getting to the optimum temperature so till the temperatures is reached the light should not go away but here it is flickering (on and off). Check the error codes on your ECU for this.

Regarding the vibration which is like the engine has tied it to a Sauna belt and trying to loose some fat (sorry to joke on this situation) Check if all the 3 cylinders are firing and hope you are not loosing compression in the cylinders and the engine is starving for fuel as you said in the last post. In the video the engine vibration is at idle rpm? What is it showing 1200 rpm or below? What happens if you light tap the accelerator? Does it vibrate more or decrease?

Last edited by a4anurag : 7th October 2012 at 22:49.
Old 7th October 2012, 22:59   #19
Senior - BHPian

i watched the video. and vibration is on higher side.

sorry to say but i think you got a lemon.

Its a three cylinder, so three cylinder already has balance issue. company uses many measures to counter that.

now to the technical side. you car is not idling properly. there could be numerous issue ECU, turbocharger failure, unbalanced pistons and con rods, bearings etc.
Old 7th October 2012, 23:17   #20
BHPian

@Neugal : Thanks for sharing. Can understand your PoV. Sadly, this is India, so wish you all the best and hope you get justice at the earliest. I am no expert, but seeing the video clip the engine vibrations seem abnormal. IMO, the manufacturers should be penalized and the compensation to car owners should match or exceed the car price. Then only, they would take this kind of customer complain seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Its a three cylinder, so three cylinder already has balance issue. company uses many measures to counter that.
Sir Alec, just a query .. why you say so ? The three cylinder engine in Polo runs fine for 99% of Polo owners, yes, there are some cases of engine mount replacement. But almost all Polo owner says that the car matches or exceeds in most instances w.r.t. high speed highway runs and confidence inspiring ride and handling compared to similar segment hatchbacks.
Old 7th October 2012, 23:20   #21
Senior - BHPian

The way the engine is shaking or vibrating is crazy. Shocked !! to say the least

What was the initial investigation from VWASS ?

If it something related to engine mounts and ECU replacement, I think they should do it immediately.

If it is a major work as listed above by SirAlec, VW should replace the car.
Old 7th October 2012, 23:22   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neugal View Post
Reply to aaggoswami

I forgot to mention this! When this problem occurs, the car won't accelerates or even moves at high rpm like 3000 and also the vibrations are high on 1st & 2nd gear. It seems that it also burns more fuel however I not sure but I feel so. Also its not possible for me to rise from second basement of my office where I park the car to grade level when this problem occurs. At the same time when I take drive the car in this condition and reached highway (more free space to drive on gurgaon toll road) then car will accelerate few times as if some more fuel is given as I will feel some push as I have given some nitrous gas shot into the engine. So really can't figure out what problem is. I went to the workshop today and they have advised me that they will do test run again and will let me know the situation tomorrow i.e. on Monday. I work in Gurgaon and reside in Delhi so it becomes very difficult for me to reach office. I have invested so much of my time in getting this car repaired that too when I bought the brand like Volkswagen who have invented the TDI engines. Maybe its my bad luck, still keeping my fingers crossed and waiting.

Will keep you all updated.

Rgds
Thanks for the info. Looks like you have received a lemon. Then certainly the issue is bigger. Its also possible that one particular problem, when not solved, gave rise to other in cascading manner.

1) Check for error codes from ECU
2) Check for compression loss in cylinders
3) Ask the dealer to completely check for any damage to turbo or other turbo related matter like faulty turbo, leak, etc.

At the same time, I appreciate your patience. I have CNG baleno, and sometimes, due to stepper motor error, the car just refuses to revv, massive loss of power and I cant even take slight inclines of parking. I understand your frustration. This could be also unsafe because if engine shuts down ( ECU problem or overheating or any other reason ), you will be without power steering and without braking. Get the car repaired immediately. Also try posting on VW India's Facebook wall.
Old 7th October 2012, 23:32   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
Sir Alec, just a query .. why you say so ? The three cylinder engine in Polo runs fine for 99% of Polo owners, yes, there are some cases of engine mount replacement. But almost all Polo owner says that the car matches or exceeds in most instances w.r.t. high speed highway runs and confidence inspiring ride and handling compared to similar segment hatchbacks.
I am saying that in general. Three cylinder are practically unbalanced that four cylinder counterparts.

As for polo its a very underpowered car. and its shamelessly priced and add to that shitty service or VW/Skoda.
Old 7th October 2012, 23:53   #24
BHPian

Quote:
As for polo its a very underpowered car. and its shamelessly priced and add to that shitty service or VW/Skoda.
Thanks Sir.

Just sharing my view - Polo is not under-powered car w.r.t. competition.
With current corrections in pricing (HL) I am not sure if we can say its shamelessly priced w.r.t. competition.

Service - Skoda > reading Team-BHP, am afraid of Skoda to say the least (I may be wrong, but that's my impression)

VW - Disagree. Not sure if you own a VW. As per my experience, once a year service or 15k KMs, service bill < 4k@01st year at ~8k kms and <5k@2nd year at ~16.5k kms is acceptable and I guess its better than many others w.r.t. competition.

============

Please do not take it otherwise. I really hope these manufacturers should get penalized severely so that we as customers of VW or Skoda or Maruti or Hyundai get justice at the earliest and these manufacturer's do not take the Indian customers for a ride.
Old 8th October 2012, 00:09   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7

Thanks Sir.

With current corrections in pricing (HL) I am not sure if we can say its shamelessly priced w.r.t. competition.

Service - Skoda > reading Team-BHP, am afraid of Skoda to say the least (I may be wrong, but that's my impression)

VW - Disagree. Not sure if you own a VW. As per my experience, once a year service or 15k KMs, service bill < 4k@01st year at ~8k kms and <5k@2nd year at ~16.5k kms is acceptable and I guess its better than many others w.r.t. competition.

============

Please do not take it otherwise. I really hope these manufacturers should get penalized severely so that we as customers of VW or Skoda or Maruti or Hyundai get justice at the earliest and these manufacturer's do not take the Indian customers for a ride.
Service bill of less than 4k, you kidding? I was told by a VW salesman that there are no free services for the Polo and each one would cost around 8.5k. Either he didn't want to sell me one or your info is slightly off the mark.
Old 8th October 2012, 00:30   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
Thanks Sir.

============

I think in this category Punto and Swift takes the cake. 1.3 DDIs is best not only in india but around the world at this price bracket. the engine can be used, abused which ever way. I have seen 2lack kms done swift still silent as new.

at 8.5 lac i would really like to get a climate control and alloy as standard.

Sorry to break the bubble, you are actually buying a Fabia in VW clothing.

They have a very sweet 1.4 liter TDI in small country as south africa, but they choose not to bring it here. as people here can be fooled easily with crap they already were selling.

and yeah i don't own a VW but couple of my friends and client does and seeing their woes, will not buy the current line up.

as far as servicing goes, 4k for one year is serious miscalculation.

1400 for standard grade engine oil. that would have gone twice in 8k kms or 1 year which ever is earlier. So i am not even calculating the price of oil filter, diesel filter, air filter etc.

Last edited by SirAlec : 8th October 2012 at 00:32.
SirAlec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2012, 00:37   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Service bill of less than 4k, you kidding? I was told by a VW salesman that there are no free services for the Polo and each one would cost around 8.5k. Either he didn't want to sell me one or your info is slightly off the mark.
For you to decide.

You are correct, there are no free services for Polo. Service interval is 01 year or 15k kms. I own a Polo and if my experience is bad with VW w.r.t. servicing or anything regarding my car I will be the first one to say so. You may refer this post -->

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2485027

As for SA's, I do listen to them, but do not believe them. Anyways, we are going off-topic in this thread.

If its needed I can search, scan and upload the bill as well, let me know.

Quote:
as far as servicing goes, 4k for one year is serious miscalculation.
Sir, please refer post above ...

Quote:
1400 for standard grade engine oil.
Incorrect info. Cost is ~1k with tax and service. Not sure what do you mean by standard grade. You may search VW Polo reviews in Team-Bhp for the correct engine oil specification.

===========

@Neugal : Apologies for going off-topic in your thread.

Last edited by AvonA7 : 8th October 2012 at 00:52. Reason: merge post
Old 8th October 2012, 13:36   #28
Senior - BHPian

I remember my old fiat adventure petrol engine vibrating almost similarly when i removed one of the spark plugs while the engine was running.
Old 8th October 2012, 21:14   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
I am saying that in general. Three cylinder are practically unbalanced that four cylinder counterparts.
The 3 pot generates a rocking couple end to end. Not what is being shown in the video clip. The other thing is that 90*3 <360. However, even that does not lead to what is being shown.

Quote:
now to the technical side. you car is not idling properly. there could be numerous issue ECU, turbocharger failure, unbalanced pistons and con rods, bearings etc.
My feeling is compression leak/ stuck valve.

A point to note: If this has been the level of vibration for any length of time, the mounts have been destroyed. End result rather than cause. Once again, a power balance test before anything else.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 8th October 2012, 22:00   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
The 3 pot generates a rocking couple end to end. Not what is being shown in the video clip. The other thing is that 90*3 <360. However, even that does not lead to what is being shown.

My feeling is compression leak/ stuck valve.

A point to note: If this has been the level of vibration for any length of time, the mounts have been destroyed. End result rather than cause. Once again, a power balance test before anything else.

Regards
Sutripta
Again!! my post was my general view for all three pots diesel for query for above gentleman.

Diesel motors will not forgive even a minutest compression leakage. So its something else. what ever it is its very drastic.

and warranty claim of engine should be sought period.

i have not seen this for the first time. there was a jetta case of a friend. my friend literally dealt with the dealer with bhai giri. When he refused to give the extra car they gave him for use, which was higher end than his own.

when the new engine came on crate. we asked them that we will open the crate ourselves and will be installed in front of us.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks