Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2012, 08:53   #1

K10 engine swap for an Alto 800

Dear Team-bhp members, Goodmorning to all.

Being my first thread since I joined way back in 2008 please correct me where ever I go wrong in putting this thread.

I'm planning to swap my F8B engine to K10 Engine. Please forward your suggestions, ideas, technicalities, issues regarding this project. I know the engine is hard to find from scrap yard if got any help will be really thankful.

Have a good day member.

Old 26th October 2012, 14:34   #2
BHPian

re: K10 engine swap for an Alto 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomez84 View Post
I'm planning to swap my F8B engine to K10 Engine. Please forward your suggestions, ideas, technicalities, issues regarding this project.
It has been told a number of times in this forum. Factory fit is factory fit.
You are better off buying a newer Alto with K10 rather than swapping as you would get warranty, reliability and support from Maruti.
csshyamsundar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 14:50   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I dont think thats quite easy as the engine bay of the K10 is modified and not the same as the F8 Alto. The K10s have a characteristic front overhang compared to a short overhang of the alto F8.
You can get a decent price for an alto these days. Add the cost of a new K10 engine and you might come close to buying a new alto k10 itself.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 15:34   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Among other things, you'll need the K10 engine, gearbox, ECU and a whole host of supporting parts (e.g. engine mounts). Then, there's the question of shoehorning the engine as the K10 is 125 mm longer to accommodate the larger powerplant. Final challenge : Finding the right shop to execute this job.

Not impossible, but definitely not worth it. My suggestion : Sell your Alto 800 and buy a pre-owned Alto K10. There are plenty of examples around, considering it's been 2+ years since the K10's launch. Believe me, the Alto K10 is F-U-N to drive, especially if you get nice tyres. It's like a high-powered gokart and proves you don't need to spend $$$ for an enjoyable drive. Spend some time hunting & searching, will be worth it.

Quote:
Factory fit is factory fit.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 15:39   #5
BHPian

I dont think the K10B would fit into the engine bay of the old F8D alto. for one the throttle bodies are in different locations(correct me if i am wrong). so even if you manage to shoehorn it in, getting all the rest of the things to fit would be a fight. i had a F8D alto and have the K10 now. you could start by measuring the size of the engine, supporting accessories and Engine mounts to see if its possible.
Old 26th October 2012, 15:58   #6
Senior - BHPian

@gomez84 - don't rto's refuse to change details on your rc book for engine replacements. First check whether that can be done.

If so, there are various technical issues, the biggest of which is engine size. The k10 just has an elongated bonnet. From the a pillar onwards, the alto and k10 are identical.

If the cost of replacing the alto with a k10 is out of your budget, consider getting the engine modified along the lines of the new alto 800 engine. It is maybe 10 bhp ir so more and has better torque too. Should suit you and the cost and work involved comes down
pganapathy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 16:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

Re: K10 engine swap for an Alto 800

gomez84, It looks too ambitious a project and not worth doing IMO. I mean, why do you want to spend time and energy (and money, of course) in re-inventing the wheel. I feel you must use your energy in improvising on the wheel instead.

I don't want to discourage you, but investing so much on a classic will give you some satisfaction but same cant be said for something that is already available off the counter. And that too when the finished product is not going to be radically different (read better).
Old 26th October 2012, 16:58   #8
Senior - BHPian

The reason that Alto K10 was redesigned and lengthened is that the engine does not fit in the Alto 800 compartment.

Apart from engine you have to change the GB and the drive shafts. All in all an exercise not worth the trouble. As suggested by GTO, sell off the Alto 800 and get the Alto K10, new if you can afford to, else a pre owned one.
Old 26th October 2012, 17:02   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomez84 View Post
I'm planning to swap my F8B engine to K10 Engine
Rather than doing this, why don't you put the F10D (old Wagon R/AltoVX) engine in your Alto. It is an F8D with an added cylinder. It requires minimal changes and is not very costly too. It makes 63 odd BHP IIRC.
Old 26th October 2012, 18:00   #10
Senior - BHPian

You also will have issue with RTO/insurance if there is a mess and this is illegal.

Get the K10. Fun to drive if revved.
Old 26th October 2012, 19:23   #11

Mod team note: Back to back post, please use EDIT once post is approved. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause

Rather than doing this, why don't you put the F10D (old Wagon R/AltoVX) engine in your Alto. It is an F8D with an added cylinder. It requires minimal changes and is not very costly too. It makes 63 odd BHP IIRC.
Firstly thanks to all for such brilliant pieces of info.

Members please advice on statement of JustCause too.

Lastly who all recommend the F10A swap from noidaboy.

Thanks again

Last edited by Jaggu : 26th October 2012 at 21:03. Reason: Back to back post, please use EDIT once post is approved. Thanks
Old 27th October 2012, 20:30   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
If the cost of replacing the alto with a k10 is out of your budget, consider getting the engine modified along the lines of the new alto 800 engine. It is maybe 10 bhp ir so more and has better torque too.
i think the power is same 47PS vs 48PS
but torque is a little more 62NM vs 69NM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilMonSter View Post
I dont think the K10B would fit into the engine bay of the old F8D alto. for one the throttle bodies are in different locations(correct me if i am wrong). so even if you manage to shoehorn it in, getting all the rest of the things to fit would be a fight. i had a F8D alto and have the K10 now.
hi, since you had an F8D and now a K10, please tell me how much better it is to drive. i am thinking of a similar swap from my alto F8D.
guptavis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2012, 20:38   #13
BHPian

The K10 engine cannot be shoehorned into the F8D engine bay. One reason being the shorter length and another being that nothing can beat factory fit and finish as well as the peace of mind. And as JustCause has told shoehorning the F10D is better as it will fit into the existing engine bay and it is entirely possible. Just bear in mind that you'll need to spend considerable money and finetuning on getting the setup correct. But once setup correctly it will definitely be a hoot to drive.
tacho9000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2012, 21:09   #14
Senior - BHPian

Alto with F10, get a preowned Alto VX/ VXi. For all the same reasons for not doing a conversion.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2012, 21:18   #15
Senior - BHPian

I assume you are looking for a performance gain from the swap which IMHO maybe difficult since the K10 has a bigger engine bay than the old 800-Alto.Why not get a peformance exhaust like Automech and a conical air intake for performance gains.Do not expect very high gains but the car will be far better to drive with a properly executed FFE and conical filter.The sound is also a bonus.

I rather get a old Zen and fit in a Etseem or baleno engine which has been accomplished before if you are really looking do to a swap thing.Best option is to to try and get hold of the bigger engined Alto which was discontinued by Maruti.

Good Luck
sumeethaldankar is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks