Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2012, 12:11   #61
BHPian

Clarification

@ Thoma : No friend, I have communicated the same problem (Steering locking) to them over and over again, and the service engineer too. I have sent them a mail yet again- no reply from their side till now.

As with any consumer complaint redressal, I am giving a period of 2 weeks for Ford India to come up with a satisfactory explanation or comprehensive guesswork, and remedial measures- because from my point of view- I need these things documented, so as to have a water tight case in case something untoward happens.

See- Many customers have had no issues after ECU updation- but that is regarding the engine stalling issue- now the service engineer in Mysore is clearly clueless about even this problem, and eventhough my case is different from the many others (steering locking with engine on)- they have to clutch straws in air to come up with some probable cause. The Service engineer won't put words on paper- and wants me to ask Ford India, and Ford India wants me to 'contact the service engineer'. So it's a passing the parcel game now.

In all my mails to Ford India- I have asked them to go over the entire communication history between them and myself- so that there can be no doubt as to the nature of my experience. Each of those mails have been carefully stored. Now after the mandatory 2 weeks (for them to come up with a satisfactory reply - even to the point why they decided to 'update' the ECU)
Old 5th December 2012, 22:54   #62
BHPian

update-8

Here's the latest e-mail/reply

Dear M/s Ford

I request you to peruse my e-mail to you dated 1st December 2012, and answer my queries specifically. I wish to inform you that my concern still not has been addressed, and neither yourselves nor your service center has taken efforts to do so- If you indeed value your customer's loyalty and lives- you should at least have the courtesy of following up on the customers complaint and redressing the issue.

I am very disappointed at the treatment meted out to me by Ford India. I hope you will sincerely look into the matter- please take into consideration my e-mails to your organization right from the beginning. Do go through my concerns and please provide a structured, comprehensive and sensible reply.

My queries still stand in the order below- and I expect you to reply to them in all honesty.

1) What are the probable reasons for the steering lock with engine running during driving that I experienced thrice? (Please refer to all the e-mails that I have sent you on this issue from the beginning in which detailed description of the problem is given)

2) Is there a problem with the PCM software of the Figo?.

3) What are the corrective measures I should adopt to prevent recurrence?

Please note that a reply such as the one sent by you to me on Dec 3 will not suffice. I am looking for a concrete reply from your side, and it is your duty to provide such.

Awaiting your reply

And the reply?...

As expected-

Dear Dr.Indrajit Suresh

This is in continuation to our earlier correspondences and telecom discussion we had with your good self regarding your vehicle bearing registration number KA55M3586

We sincerely hope we had provided necessary clarifications related to the concerns you had raised with us vide our reply dated 29.11.2012.

As you are one of our esteemed valuable customer we would like to share the clarity for the concerns you had raised with us point by point as detailed below,

1) What are the probable reasons for the steering lock with engine running during driving that I experienced thrice? (Please refer to all the e-mails that I have sent you on this issue from the beginning in which detailed description of the problem is given)

We understand that our dealership had attended your vehicle regarding your concern (during the recent visit on 24/11/2012 at 9374kms ) & there was no abnormality observed with respect to the steering lock issue and the vehicle was found to be performing up to expectations.

2) Is there a problem with the PCM software of the Figo?.

We understand that your vehicle had reported for the engine stalling issue on 24/11/2012 at 9374 kms post detailed diagnosis our dealership had confirmed us that the concern could not be reproduced / replicated when the dealer carried out a road test and checked the related parameters. As the issue could not be reproduce / replicated it could be due to various reasons such as driving habits, fuel quality etc. However as a pro-active measure we have updated the software of your car PCM (Power train control module.) so as to be definitive of the action, post this exercise our dealership once again performed an extensive road test and confirmed us that the concern could not be reproduced. This exercise was carried out in coordination with our technical support team to ensure that the vehicle is perfectly roadworthy and that there are no abnormalities

We once again request you to drive vehicle with complete confidence on the product, we are confident that the feedback would be positive.
Request your understanding & co-operation in this.
Please feel free to contact Mr. Ragavendra- 9880599606 Service Manager from our Dealership/us for any further assistance .
Thanks & Regards,

M Sudalai
FIL-Customer Relations

Old 6th December 2012, 14:58   #63
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford Figo's dangerous behaviour : Steering locks on the move!

Since you have earlier confirmed with us that you have experienced a steering lock and NOT a engine stall i dont find the reason why we add a lot of information to the mails and confuse all. My suggestion. Be Specific to the point. If you keep talking about all these things in your lengthy mails the company would only accuse you of being a 'problematic customer'. And that prejudice would carry on into all further proceedings.

I still dont understand why we are complicating things.

A "steering lock" issue CANNOT occur due to fuel quality or driver ignorance or driving habits or ecm software issue.

I suggest you decide on what you really want to focus on before you proceed further.
gemithomas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2012, 15:10   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Since you have earlier confirmed with us that you have experienced a steering lock and NOT a engine stall i dont find the reason why we add a lot of information to the mails and confuse all. My suggestion. Be Specific to the point. If you keep talking about all these things in your lengthy mails the company would only accuse you of being a 'problematic customer'. And that prejudice would carry on into all further proceedings.
Exactly my thoughts and I wanted to put it across but refrained fearing whether the original poster would take it in the wrong sense. I tend to think that his mails are lacking visibility to the top guns and he is being replied from the front office at Ford.

I don't know how, but I would suggest him to get some insider contacts and take up the specific matter (steering getting LOCKED even without the engine stalling) with them. While persisting, he has to be careful in keeping calm as he does not have an issue at hand presently. What we (and him) all want is Ford to take this issue seriously. Either it just has not reached them or they are beating around the bush.
Old 6th December 2012, 15:30   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascertain View Post
I asked him about the version of the ECU software that was presently in the car- and he said it was v81.05, which was the latest released by Ford for the Figo.
Just to make it absolutely clear to you and for the benefit of others.

v81.05 is NOT the PCM version. It is the version of the IDS software installed on the laptop/desktop that is used to communicate with the ECU.

The PCM version needs to be found out by launching the IDS software when connected to the car. The IDS software comes loaded with the different PCM versions for your car. Once the IDS software reads the ECU details it then gives a list of PCM versions compatible with your car.

In my case the older PCM version was XXXX-XX-GA. When connected, the IDS tool prompted that "AS61-650-GB" was available for my car. The last 2 letter denote the PCM version in my case it is "GB" which is still running on my car and no stalling issue for more than a year.

I am not sure if the new versions like GC and GD are compatible with my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
[*] AFAIK the version V X.XX is the version of the software installed on the computer. The ECU map versions are GB, GC, GD etc. GB came on the initial few cars, then some batches came with GC and the update with the claimed correction for the stalling issue came in the GD version. I dont know about further updates.
Old 7th December 2012, 07:18   #66
BHPian

@Vid6639 : Thanks for that info on the software versions.
@thoma and gemithomas : thanks for the feedback guys, no offence taken at all. Yes- I agree that the long mails are dreary and might seem as coming from a 'problematic' customer - but I am quite sure that now the Service centre/dealership and Ford have no cause to say that I have NOT documented and told them the problem. I usually don't go hunting for a gunfight, but do like to have all the groundwork done beforehand in case the other party tries to act smart.

Rest assured- I WILL record the event next time it happens, and my mails then will be to the top level of ford as well.
Old 7th December 2012, 09:24   #67
Senior - BHPian

Dude, what is the issue that you are after. I am aware of the steering lock issue that you faced initially when the thread was opened post that I see a lot of ranting without pointing to what problem you are trying to get fixed.

Can we have a fresh start here please!?

What are the issues thats haunting your Figo? From the emails, I am not able to figure, sorry!

Quote:
Rest assured- I WILL record the event next time it happens, and my mails then will be to the top level of ford as well.
Old 7th December 2012, 10:07   #68
BHPian

The figo problem

@anachronix : The basic issue still is the steering locking with the engine running- during a phase of deceleration, and with a gap of 1 month between the events, during which the vehicle functioned normally.

The cause?- well I'm no expert- that's why I needed a reply as to whether it was a mechanical problem or a problem with the car's PCM software- which still has not been clarified by the ford service engineer- who avoids answering that specific point- providing me details only about the 'works done'. So you see my position. They have sprayed some 'anti-rust' solution in the key barrel (mechanical) , and re-installed the PCM software (Software) - so that leaves me confused.

I am not qualified enough to make any diagnosis on the problem with the car, and can only go by what the experts tell me.

As per Ford- they have 'fixed' the issue with 'pro-active' measures, and I have no option but to wait until the next time it pops up (even though I sincerely hope it does not!).

The rants are of course a problem . Sorry for making all of you read through the tedious e-mails.

Even through this forum, I can only draft out a plan of action- and look for guidance. Theories come aplenty from the other TBHP members everyday, but I can't mail Ford all of them on a day to day basis, I have given them the link to this post and requested them to follow it up.

By the way- on an entirely different note- can anyone throw light on exactly WHY ford is 'updating' the PCM for figo users with engine stall issues on a one by one basis? (that is- when the problem crops up?)
Old 7th December 2012, 11:36   #69
Senior - BHPian

Hey Ascertain, I skimmed through the thread and seems like your problem is a locked steering and not stalled engine. However I am not entirely convinced if steering lock can get locked unless some mechanical lock engages. Even broken power steering does not lock, just makes the steering wheel incredibly heavy. I am just wondering if you are confusing engine stall issue with steering lock. When this happened to you and all the warning lights came on, did you check the Tacho to see if the engine was still really running?

The reason i suspect is that even i face the stalling problem on my Feb 12 Tdci Figo once in a while (4 time to be precise so far). Infact it happened today morning on my drive to work. It usually happens while slowing down and all the warning lights come on. Steering definitely gets very heavy without power steering but its not locked. Since when this scenarios happens its usually a panic situation and our instinctive reaction is to somehow stop safely and immediately re-start the engine. In that rush I wonder if you didnt realise whether engine was probably stalled and not running. Next time when it happens again maybe pay attention to this and see. Another suggestion would be to unlock the steering and try turning the steering wheel of your standing car without the engine running. You will notice the steering wheel is so hard that it seems locked but it can actually turn with lot of force applied. Does that feel similar to what you noticed?

Regarding Ford's company customer service, my person experience over last 8yrs with 2 ford cars has been reasonably good. In your case I think since your prob is not re-producing easily, its making it difficult to address it.

Last edited by supertinu : 7th December 2012 at 11:38.
Old 7th December 2012, 12:51   #70
Senior - BHPian

Re: The figo problem

Now that makes it clear.
Quote:
@anachronix : The basic issue still is the steering locking with the engine running- during a phase of deceleration, and with a gap of 1 month between the events, during which the vehicle functioned normally.
The steering locking when the car is still idling is purely mechanical. Rust could be a cause, but I am not sure if spraying the anti rust solution would fix this issue. IMO, thats very dangerous issue and did it re-occur after the spray treatment?

About resetting the PCM, it should be to have the latest PCM software loaded. I am sure you would have seen the other thread on the stalling issues in the Figo. There was a new PCM software that was released to fix this and I am guessing it should be that.

I have a Figo TDCi manufactured this April 2012 and I have never faced any of the stalling issues or steering lock issues. Only pain being the absurd rattling from everywhere in the car.

Quote:
The cause?- well I'm no expert- that's why I needed a reply as to whether it was a mechanical problem or a problem with the car's PCM software- which still has not been clarified by the ford service engineer- who avoids answering that specific point- providing me details only about the 'works done'. So you see my position. They have sprayed some 'anti-rust' solution in the key barrel (mechanical) , and re-installed the PCM software (Software) - so that leaves me confused.
Its a dangerous issue. No harm in following up with Ford and escalting it, but long emails can get easily ignored. If you can have the precise problem stated in the emails and find the right contacts, things should move in your favour.

Quote:
As per Ford- they have 'fixed' the issue with 'pro-active' measures, and I have no option but to wait until the next time it pops up (even though I sincerely hope it does not!).

The rants are of course a problem . Sorry for making all of you read through the tedious e-mails.
Old 27th May 2014, 12:54   #71
BHPian

A year has passed since My Figo's ECU software got updated by ford. Till now there have not been any similar issues, and driving is smooth.
Surprisingly though, I have received three calls from TBHP members in the last 6 months who have called me and told that their Figo's too are facing the same problem. I provided whatever guidance I could. They also wanted to know what had been done to the car, and how it was handling now.
I hope other Figo owners facing this problem post their experiences and keep us updated.
ascertain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2014, 14:25   #72
BANNED

Quote:
A year has passed since My Figo's ECU software got updated by ford. Till now there have not been any similar issues, and driving is smooth.
Good that the issue has not surfaced up (Touchwood).

Do keep us updated for the issue if it repeats and those 3 fellow BHPians too.

Anurag.
Old 14th October 2016, 14:31   #73

Quote:
Surprisingly though, I have received three calls from TBHP members in the last 6 months who have called me and told that their Figo's too are facing the same problem. I provided whatever guidance I could. They also wanted to know what had been done to the car, and how it was handling now.
I hope other Figo owners facing this problem post their experiences and keep us updated.
Sir, My Figo 1.4TDCi is facing similar issues since April 2016. It is a 2012 model and has done 44000 Kms.
I am getting my vehicle checked at Lathangi Ford, Bangalore. Do u have any good contacts with this dealer/workshop?
Old 14th October 2016, 16:29   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainakit87 View Post
Sir, My Figo 1.4TDCi is facing similar issues since April 2016. It is a 2012 model and has done 44000 Kms.
I am getting my vehicle checked at Lathangi Ford, Bangalore. Do u have any good contacts with this dealer/workshop?
So these complaints of stalling and steering lock on Ford Figo still keep coming. One keeps reading of software updates solving the problem, but the problems continue. If it is simply a matter of software update, why doesn't Ford announce a general recall for such updates. Ford never seems to have accepted openly the existence of this problem. Correct me, if I am wrong. But plenty of Bhpians keep recommending Figo to those hunting for cars, without mentioning this.

After all, these problems are potentially life-threatening even if they may not be widespread.
Old 14th October 2016, 16:37   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaji View Post
So these complaints of stalling and steering lock on Ford Figo still keep coming. One keeps reading of software updates solving the problem, but the problems continue. If it is simply a matter of software update, why doesn't Ford announce a general recall for such updates. Ford never seems to have accepted openly the existence of this problem. Correct me, if I am wrong. But plenty of Bhpians keep recommending Figo to those hunting for cars, without mentioning this.

After all, these problems are potentially life-threatening even if they may not be widespread.
Sir I have been driving the Figo for more than 4 years. Never faced any serious issue. All of a sudden, the vehicle has started behaving strangely. I face this problem mostly while downshifting on highways. In Bangalore city, there s rarely enough space to breath.
Any help is highly appreciated as I do often go for long drives.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks