Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2012, 01:15   #16
BHPian

Re: Shuddering problem at highway speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post

Around 120, it is a distinct shudder. Felt through the steering wheel, pedals/floor, and the seat. I have tried keeping the speed exactly at 120 and noticed that this remains constant throughout. The moment I start reducing the speed, the shudder reduces, and completely disappears once you drop below 110.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangakishen View Post

Not only that. If you continue to accelerate you will find that after a certain speed the shuddering will again disappear...

...My car vibrates between 120 to 140kmph after which vibrations reduce.

I had a similar shudder at high speeds which disappeared when I went higher. It was because the engine was not getting enough oxygen. I got a conical air intake and the shuddering disappeared.

Try it.

Last edited by lapsi : 26th December 2012 at 01:19.
Old 26th December 2012, 08:24   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...My car vibrates between 120 to 140kmph after which vibrations reduce.
May be the vibration was to wake us up and say "Dude, are you sure its safe in your country"

Jokes apart. The problem can be as simple as alignment to worn our suspension parts.

At high speeds the suspension is put to enough strain that even a simple process of maintaining the car in a straight line exposes any weakness in the suspension set up.

Be it a early stage worn out bushings or lose nuts somewhere in Strut assembly or even engine mount.

Do the wheel alignment first and if that does not solve, its definitely suspension set up.
Old 26th December 2012, 18:48   #18

An unbalanced wheel resonates with the suspension at a certain speed, get that balanced and realigned and you should be fine. I used to have exactly the same problem when I got the balancing done through Fiat-***, but since I started getting the balancing done for real at a dedicated wheel shop I have not experienced any vibration at high speeds.
Old 26th December 2012, 22:22   #19
Senior - BHPian

I had the same judder of the steering wheel when my Fiesta was new, and this was at speeds between 110 to 120, not below or above.

When I complained to Ford A.S.S. in the first service, they got it fixed with wheel balancing and alignment. I've never had the problem since then.
Old 10th January 2013, 20:57   #20
BHPian

I did get the wheel balancing/alignment done again (from a local shop, and quite a lot of weight needed to be added to the rear RHS wheel), and post that have had quite a few highway runs, going upto 140 kph.

Happy to report that the car runs perfectly stable, and the issue has not occurred again. Looks like it was incorrect wheel balancing/alignment after all. Need to take it up with HASS.

Thanks for all your inputs.
swarnava.m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2013, 06:17   #21
Team-BHP Support

It had to be a wheel balancing issue if there was shudder at high speeds. Alloy wheel bends seldom show up as high speed wobbles. Bent alloys will produce low speed wobble (mostly below 40-50 kmph) but will not be perceptible at the high speeds you mentioned. Anyway your problem is solved, which is the important thing
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks