Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2012, 22:58   #1
BHPian

Shuddering problem at highway speeds

Our Honda Accord 2.4 M/T is a 2010 model, current running 63k. Mostly used by my dad for his daily commute, I rarely get a chance to drive it, even rarer on the highway. However, I have noticed this weird issue the last couple of times I have taken it to the highway, today being the 2nd time. I decided to get some opinions here.

When I get to 3 figure speeds (road conditions permitting of course), the car seems perfectly fine initially. At around 110, there is a very slight vibration felt. It's like you know it's present, but you really can't put your finger on it. As the speed goes on increasing, so does the vibration.

Around 120, it is a distinct shudder. Felt through the steering wheel, pedals/floor, and the seat. I have tried keeping the speed exactly at 120 and noticed that this remains constant throughout. The moment I start reducing the speed, the shudder reduces, and completely disappears once you drop below 110.

For this reason, I haven't gone above 120. It seems distinctly worrying and disturbing. Of late this car has not been used much, and it shall be sent to the HASS soon. But I would rather take some valuable opinions here first.

Kindly advice..!!
Old 24th December 2012, 23:05   #2
BHPian

re: Shuddering problem at highway speeds

This is a non-issue. All you need is to get the wheel alignment done along with wheel balancing. Apart from the shuddering, this lack of alignment will cause excess and uneven tyre wear. It's a simple 20 minute fix.
Cheers!

Last edited by Viraat13 : 24th December 2012 at 23:06. Reason: Forgot about uneven tyre wear.
Viraat13 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th December 2012, 23:10   #3
BHPian

Viraat13 - +1!!

Not only that. If you continue to accelerate you will find that after a certain speed the shuddering will again disappear. Happens in my Cruze. Have to get it rectified. My car vibrates between 120 to 140kmph after which vibrations reduce.
rangakishen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2012, 23:42   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

@OP, get the wheels balanced. The problem should disappear.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2012, 09:15   #5
BHPian

Funny thing is, wheel balancing has been done already. Forgot to mention this in the opening post, but I had gotten that done when I noticed this issue for the first time. Hasn't made any difference to the occurrence.
Old 25th December 2012, 10:25   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
Funny thing is, wheel balancing has been done already. Forgot to mention this in the opening post, but I had gotten that done when I noticed this issue for the first time. Hasn't made any difference to the occurrence.
Get a proper 4 wheel alignment & balancing done. DO NOT use sticker weights, use the clip-on ones. Use another alignment/ balacing workshop if you have to. Does the wheel vibrate when you brake. If it does, your brake rotors ned skimming.

Another problem could be that one of the axle rod CV joints may have become loose or otherwise bent. This can happen if the axle hits a rock/obstruction at high speed. The rods themselves may be bent for the same reason.

But, i still suspect it's an alignment/ balancing issue.
1self is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2012, 10:50   #7

Agree...it does seem like the front wheels were not properly aligned. I understand the front wheels have slight toe-in during a proper 4-wheel alignment.

If the joints were at fault, it should be felt at all speeds and not just at 120 kph - anyway, it's interesting, I will be following this for updates...:-)
Old 25th December 2012, 10:52   #8
Senior - BHPian

Check if any of the rims have bent. Even a minute bend will cause this problem. I am facing a similar problem on my car and am replacing the alloys. Also, since you mention that you can feel it in the steering wheel, it will most probably be one of the front wheels.

Also get steering related components like ball joints and lower arms checked.
Old 25th December 2012, 11:19   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1self View Post
Get a proper 4 wheel alignment & balancing done. DO NOT use sticker weights, use the clip-on ones. Use another alignment/ balacing workshop if you have to. Does the wheel vibrate when you brake. If it does, your brake rotors ned skimming....But, i still suspect it's an alignment/ balancing issue.
Yes, I will get both alignment and balancing done from a different place now. By clip on weights do you mean the ones that are used for regular steel weights? I always thought that sticker weights were recommended for alloys?

And no, the brakes are absolutely fine. There are no problems or vibrations with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mun Chong View Post
Agree...it does seem like the front wheels were not properly aligned. I understand the front wheels have slight toe-in during a proper 4-wheel alignment.

If the joints were at fault, it should be felt at all speeds and not just at 120 kph - anyway, it's interesting, I will be following this for updates...:-)
That was also what got me confused. If there was a faulty part, the vibration wouldn't surface at 120. It would have been evident at lower speeds too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Check if any of the rims have bent. Even a minute bend will cause this problem. I am facing a similar problem on my car and am replacing the alloys. Also, since you mention that you can feel it in the steering wheel, it will most probably be one of the front wheels.

Also get steering related components like ball joints and lower arms checked.
Thanks for that suggestion. I will take a close look at the rims during balancing and alignment.
Old 25th December 2012, 11:38   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Our Honda Accord 2.4 M/T is a 2010 model, current running 63k. Mostly used by my dad for his daily commute, I rarely get a chance to drive it, even rarer on the highway. However, I have noticed this weird issue the last couple of times I have taken it to the highway, today being the 2nd time. I decided to get some opinions here.

When I get to 3 figure speeds (road conditions permitting of course), the car seems perfectly fine initially. At around 110, there is a very slight vibration felt. It's like you know it's present, but you really can't put your finger on it. As the speed goes on increasing, so does the vibration.

Around 120, it is a distinct shudder. Felt through the steering wheel, pedals/floor, and the seat. I have tried keeping the speed exactly at 120 and noticed that this remains constant throughout. The moment I start reducing the speed, the shudder reduces, and completely disappears once you drop below 110.

For this reason, I haven't gone above 120. It seems distinctly worrying and disturbing. Of late this car has not been used much, and it shall be sent to the HASS soon. But I would rather take some valuable opinions here first.

Kindly advice..!!

There is a problem for sure. I too have faced this in my brio when at a speed excess of 120. I feel the car vibrates, anything below that speed, its fine.
The question i have is, is it possible with even a tire which is only 5k kms old ? If yes, its time for me too to get them checked.
Old 25th December 2012, 11:51   #11
BHPian

These problems are commonly associated with hondas, I have owned 3 hondas & all of them had similar issues, so much so that I have renounced & shunned the brand completely. let me explain, i dont think you have gone offroad or as such maybe the case where the alignment may be lost.The milage 63k is nothing. Must be as good as new.Other brands such as toyota, nissan,mitsubishi even if driven hard off road dont come up with such issues.
Sorry ,maybe just my bad experience with the brand.

Try to check the cheap- repair options first as mentioned, wheel alignment, Balancing, tyre bubble, tyre age & so on.Also check with a/c on off.
Old 25th December 2012, 14:20   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv_1984 View Post
There is a problem for sure. I too have faced this in my brio when at a speed excess of 120. I feel the car vibrates, anything below that speed, its fine.
The question i have is, is it possible with even a tire which is only 5k kms old ? If yes, its time for me too to get them checked.
If the problem was really the tires, why would this problem surface at 120? Any relatively high speed like 80-90 should be enough to bring about this phenomenon.

My tires were changed at 50k, and optimal pressure is always maintained. So I don't think they are at fault.
Old 25th December 2012, 16:27   #13
BHPian

Re: Shuddering problem on Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv_1984 View Post
It's not the tyres. It's the rims that get bent. If not the rims, it's the camber or toe-in/out adjustment which is faulty. The adjustments go out of whack over a period of time. Or if you drive over bad roads frequently. Sometimes even a single big bump at high speed can cause it.

It can only be the tyres if the alignment/balancing has been improper for a long time. As this issue, if uncorrected, will cause uneven and excess tyre wear. The way to fix this is to get the alignment and balancing done and letting the tyres even themselves out over a period of time (provided the tyres are salvageable).

Quote:
If the problem was really the tires, why would this problem surface at 120? Any relatively high speed like 80-90 should be enough to bring about this phenomenon.

My tires were changed at 50k, and optimal pressure is always maintained. So I don't think they are at fault.
Usually minor balancing issues crop up at speeds above 110. If it is major issue, you'll feel the car pulling to the left or right at lower speeds and the vibrations will surface at 80 or 90.

When I say pulling to a side, I mean that if you leave the steering wheel, the car will start to veer towards one side.
Viraat13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2012, 18:19   #14
Senior - BHPian

Re: Shuddering problem at highway speeds

Quote:
Funny thing is, wheel balancing has been done already. ..Hasn't made any difference to the occurrence.

Hi Swarnava, my Esteem's high speed shuddering did not go away the first time I got the balancing done at a tyre shop.

So I took it to the Maruti ASC, explained the problem, and they did the balancing and alignment again. The problem disappeared completely, to my relief.

So please try wheel balancing and alignment a second time, preferably at the ASC, it might help

Quote:
If the problem was really the tires, why would this problem surface at 120? Any relatively high speed like 80-90 should be enough to bring about this phenomenon

The problem gets amplified at resonance speeds. The link below explains this beautifully in the 1st few lines:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_balance
mooza is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th December 2012, 19:32   #15

Re: Shuddering problem at highway speeds

Well, here's what I have been told
At stationary during the wheel alignment, slight toe-in should be set for the front wheels. It should not be enough to affect front wheel steering during low speeds but at high speeds, the front wheels are supposed to flex outwards. If the toe-in are set correctly, they will allow you to run straight and true at high speeds - and you shouldn't have the wobble.
Mun Chong is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks