Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2012, 21:42   #1
Senior - BHPian

VW Beetle Convertible : Window Regulator Issue

Hi,

This is for the beetle convertible that I have. The window glass is supposed to drop about an inch when opening and closing and then go back up when it is slotted correctly with the roof. It refuses to do that in the first try. But when I force it open and force it again it suddenly works.

My guess is window regulator itself is fine (since it works occasionally) but the door switch that triggers it may be faulty.

Does anybody have any experience with it and what to do about it? I am afraid the glass or the roof will be spoilt in the course of time if I keep forcing it.
Old 31st December 2012, 19:38   #2
BHPian

Re: VW Beetle Convertible : Window Regulator Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
Hi,

This is for the beetle convertible that I have. The window glass is supposed to drop about an inch when opening and closing and then go back up when it is slotted correctly with the roof. It refuses to do that in the first try. But when I force it open and force it again it suddenly works.

My guess is window regulator itself is fine (since it works occasionally) but the door switch that triggers it may be faulty.

Does anybody have any experience with it and what to do about it? I am afraid the glass or the roof will be spoilt in the course of time if I keep forcing it.
I've owned 2 convertibles & know what you're talking about. Take the car to a mechanic, remove the door pads & see if there is any rust in the mechanism or the rubber beading obstructing smooth movement.

Also, take this question to a dedicated VW forum, you'll find more info & probably even a fix to the issue.
Old 31st December 2012, 19:58   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Hi,

Which of the Convertible are you talking about ..?

The Original or the ???
Attached Thumbnails
VW Beetle Convertible : Window Regulator Issue-1974vwbeetleconvertible.jpg  

VW Beetle Convertible : Window Regulator Issue-volkswagenbeetleconvertible02.jpg  

Old 31st December 2012, 20:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Which of the Convertible are you talking about ..?

The Original or the ???
The "or the" with black upholstery

I would take it to the mech, the VW shop here charges in multiples of 90$ for touching every single problem in the car.

EDIT: Here are the specs. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...nvertible.html (My Volkswagen Beetle - convertible)

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 31st December 2012 at 20:39.
Old 3rd January 2013, 21:52   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Hi,

As mentioned, it is likely to be an obstruction in the rubber channel most probably a part of it is torn away or the channel has slipped down causing the glass to get stuck. It could also be a rusted mechanism but that is unlikely.

Now comes the difficult part - both of these are not really DIY areas since your car is a convertible. It can be very tricky to get it right and if you do not know, you could end worse off than when you began. So the right solution would be to take to a proper workshop, VW preferably.

Windows in VW convertible's have always been an issue and still remain one. VW is working on a fix for the 2012 convertible regulators and this is likely to be out only in 2013 !!

When VW make mistakes, they don't believe in doing it by half measures.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks