Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2009, 08:20   #166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Vikram, how one will lose control by depressing hte clutch at higher speeds. I knew thats not advisable and that the precise reason why I had raised here, but wanted to know the real impact so that I get out of that quickly
Simple, if you de-clutch at high speeds and are coasting and one of your wheels hit an undulation, it will have feedback on your steering and wheels. one can correct the steering, but relying only on the brakes alone to reduce one's speed may not be productive at all times as the chances of locking the air borne wheel is very high and very easy!, leading to disaster!

cheers
Old 26th January 2009, 14:01   #167
BHPian

Dont go neural

Never go neutral downhill! Its dangerous. And while driving on a straight road, its no harm if you go neutral but from a very safe distance. A little miscalculation and you go bang in the car standing in front!
Old 26th January 2009, 15:09   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
And while driving on a straight road, its no harm if you go neutral
Most of us would disagree. I winder if you have read all this thread before commenting?
Old 26th January 2009, 15:17   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by furobiker View Post
Never go neutral downhill! Its dangerous. And while driving on a straight road, its no harm if you go neutral but from a very safe distance. A little miscalculation and you go bang in the car standing in front!
Going in neutral is never recommended whether uphill, downhill or on flat road. The brakes tends to get locked after you pump it 2~3 times then what will you do? Again pump the clutch, put the vehicle in some gear and again shift to neutral?
Old 26th January 2009, 15:53   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Going in neutral is never recommended whether uphill, downhill or on flat road. The brakes tends to get locked after you pump it 2~3 times then what will you do?
Would you please explain how this happens!
I do agree that going in neutral (coasting) is not recommended, but how/why would the brakes lock up?
Old 26th January 2009, 16:07   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Would you please explain how this happens!
I do agree that going in neutral (coasting) is not recommended, but how/why would the brakes lock up?
i think we are getting confused between coasting in neutral vs coasting with the ignition off
Old 28th January 2009, 08:31   #172
Senior - BHPian

Stay in gear for FE!

I will not repeat the good advice given by the other members that one should shift down progressively, thereby using the engine braking effectively and keeping the engine power on tap in case you need to speed up suddenly in order to get out of a sticky situation.

I did notice from some of the posts that, people coast in neuteral / with clutch depressed in the mistaken belief that it increases FE. Nothing can be farther from the truth.

The maximum FE is obtained when you lift your right foot off the accelarator and let the car slow down in gear. This is because of the engine overrun cut off mechanisms in place in most cars. This means that the amount of fuel supplied to the engine is reduced to the bare minimum when the engine is being used for braking. THe engine consumes more fuel when idling as compared to when it is in overrun. (Some user manuals that come with the cars describe this very well).
Old 27th March 2009, 12:33   #173
BHPian

Poor driving style

OT: People who regularly coast probably also don't bother with the handbrake at traffic signals or otherwise. 90% of the cars at any given traffic signal will likely have their brake lights glowing as the driver stands on the brake pedal for the duration of the red signal, instead of securing the car with the handbrake before releasing the brake pedal, shifting into neutral, and releasing the clutch pedal. It's simply a matter of good driving style, which always prepares for unexpected eventualities. The reason so many people practise coasting and non-use of the handbrake (and find arguments to support their practice) is, IMHO, simply because it's possible to-- in the same manner that it's possible to eat nothing but junk food for a year. But just as it's safer to eat healthily, so it's safer to be in control of the car at all times, which means no coasting and handbrake use.

Such elementary lessons in road driving style really should be part of our driving instruction and testing scheme in India.
Perakath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2009, 14:47   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perakath View Post
OT: People who regularly coast probably also don't bother with the handbrake at traffic signals or otherwise.
Hi,

I agree with you on the usage of the hand brake, but only when not standing first in the signal, with nobody behind you. When the hand brake is engaged the brake lights don't come on. I got banged from behind once just because the moron coming from behind thought I had not stopped. the guy thought no brake lights=not waiting in the signal.

At least with my pedal on the brakes he would seen my brake lights and would have stopped.
Old 27th March 2009, 14:54   #175
BHPian

Sigh. Such people should be quietly taken and deposited in Bermuda or some other place where they won't be allowed to drive.

Thanks for the tip, though. I'll watch out for that in future-- perhaps flashing the brake lights once or twice would do the trick.

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th March 2009 at 15:05. Reason: Also, no need to quote an entire post that is directly before your reply. Thanks.
Old 8th April 2009, 11:34   #176
glenn

Which one should be applied first - Brake or Clutch?

Hi . i am new to car driving, when i want to stop the car, which one should be applied first,clutch or brake,Also if i need to stop the car all of a sudden, is it brake or clutch first?
Please respond and it would be great if anyone could provide me details about Fundamentals/basics of clutch, brake.. like engine braking, disengagement , etc

Note from Team-BHP Support : Thread MERGED. Please use the search feature before creating a new thread on a topic that might already exist. Please continue your discussion in an existing thread. This will keep all the relevant information in one place and make it easier for readers in the future.

Last edited by Jaggu : 8th April 2009 at 12:43. Reason: Search please

Old 8th April 2009, 14:24   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

Glen, you can get lots of answers here, but, respectfully, if you need to ask that question then you would be doing yourself a favour by getting help from a good pro instructor.

There's 175 posts of discussion in this thread the mods have moved your post to, but briefly...

Brake first always and do not depress the clutch until just before you stop (unless, of course, you are stopping with plenty of time, and changing down is part of your plan --- but let go the clutch afterwards.

This is my Emergency Stop formula. Others may criticize it from the technical standpoint, but when a pedestrian suddenly appears in front of your car you don;t need to think about more than one thing:

Stand on the break.

Forget about the clutch. Let the car stall.

Do not use any foot apart from right foot on brake

That way, you get the engine to help stop the car right to the very last moment.

Old 8th April 2009, 14:29   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
That way, you get the engine to help stop the car right to the very last moment.
Perfect!! In an emergency, there is ONLY the brake pedal! The rest can take a hike!
Old 8th April 2009, 14:31   #179
Senior - BHPian

Brake and then clutch as the engine starts protesting. Smoothest way to do it, using engine braking to the maximum. In an emergency of course, stand on the brake and concentrate on avoiding the obstacle and/or minimizing damage.
Old 8th April 2009, 14:44   #180
glenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Brake first always and do not depress the clutch until just before you stop (unless, of course, you are stopping with plenty of time, and changing down is part of your plan --- but let go the clutch afterwards.

Thanks Thad , this is what my Dad was also insisting on , whereas my driving school trainer told me Clutch and then Break and my Dad went wild he says how the hell did he teach you like this so I asked this question , You reply to my query definately has helped me

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks