Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2013, 09:00   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Solved! Fiat Linea Front Suspension Noise

My 2009 Linea MJD Emotion covered 54k km. From 40k km I could hear some abnormal noise from the Front LH Suspension when ever I drive over road patches or small potholes. Magnitude started increasing day-by-day.

During 45k service we suspected Link Rod being the culprit and changed both LH & RH link rods. Noise reduced a bit.
In 50k km noise started again. I suspected the elastic pads, bit could not open the suspension for past 2 months as I was mostly out of station or bundled with heavy work.

Last weekend taken the car to my regular mechanic and removed the LH strut assembly.
On removing we found that the strut to body mounting hole dia is bit larger than required.

Explored the whole garage and found some plastic washers (mechanic said it is used in some car gear lever mounting or gear shift cable)
Inserted the washer in hole and its perfect. Grease packed the elastic pads, fitted back the assembly and went for a short TD in bad roads, to my surprise noise disappeared.

Total cost: 1200 INR (Including wheel alignment, water wash, interior cleaning, all fluid top-up, front LH brake cleaning, labor)

Solved! Fiat Linea Front Suspension Noise-dscn5293.jpg

Solved! Fiat Linea Front Suspension Noise-dscn5294.jpg

Solved! Fiat Linea Front Suspension Noise-dscn5295.jpg
Mr.Boss is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 26th February 2013, 10:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Solved! Fiat Linea Front Suspension Noise

Thanks for that post and the pictures. My 2010 Ritz ZXi is just shy of the 20,000 km mark and I am find the ride very unsettled and nauseating. It is not too noisy though. Suspecting the bushes, I asked the MASS to change all the suspension bushes. But they being wiser, said the bushes are just 'weak' and would last another 5,000 km. If changing the bushes and linkages does not help matters, I will see if mine is a similar case to yours. Thanks anyway!
Old 26th February 2013, 10:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Solved! Fiat Linea Front Suspension Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Last weekend taken the car to my regular mechanic and removed the LH strut assembly.
On removing we found that the strut to body mounting hole dia is bit larger than required.

Explored the whole garage and found some plastic washers (mechanic said it is used in some car gear lever mounting or gear shift cable)
The plastic (looks like nylon) washer is quite thick and should last a while. Any idea why the holes on the strut tower is much larger than the studs passing through them? I find that strange, the hole should be just large enough for the studs to pas through. Were there any sleeve on the stud which is missing?

One more thing... The strut tower hole is oval, is the strut top oval too? Are the holes that you put wasters in round or oval? I'm thinking whether that much clearance was provided there in the holes to provide some scope of adjustment.

Last edited by Sankar : 26th February 2013 at 10:38.
Old 26th February 2013, 18:02   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Solved! Fiat Linea Front Suspension Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Any idea why the holes on the strut tower is much larger than the studs passing through them?
No idea dude
Quote:
Were there any sleeve on the stud which is missing?
No, I don't think so. Even the same issue is reported in other forum too.
Quote:
Are the holes that you put wasters in round or oval?
Its a round washer
Old 9th March 2013, 14:13   #5
BHPian

Identical problem in my Linea. It is Feb 2009 and 45k kms done. Which city are you from? I am from Mumbai.

Last edited by Prash : 9th March 2013 at 14:15.
Old 10th March 2013, 10:55   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prash View Post
Identical problem in my Linea. It is Feb 2009 and 45k kms done. Which city are you from? I am from Mumbai.
I'm from Chennai. Do you get noise from Front LH only?
Old 10th March 2013, 23:28   #7
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot for posting. I'm sure this would help quite a few owners.
Old 10th March 2013, 23:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My 2009 Linea MJD Emotion covered 54k km. From 40k km I could hear some abnormal noise from the Front LH Suspension when ever I drive over road patches or small potholes. Magnitude started increasing day-by-day.
Can you please tell me what kind of noise it was? Was it a metal sound or something else? I'm getting some noise from my Punto's LH suspension for the past few months. It's a bit difficult to describe the noise, it's not metal rubbing against metal, but more like plastic/rubber against metal. I guess it could be the same issue as your's.
Old 11th March 2013, 10:47   #9
BHPian

Quote:
I'm from Chennai. Do you get noise from Front LH only?
Yes Mr.Boss, its only from the LHS of the front end of the car. I had gone for a change in the front left lower arm and the left suspension in two different phases and the sound stopped for few months/drives. It again got audible after some time. Specifically it increases with the more number of continues hours of drive and more when the road is bad in shape. But once the car is not driven for even a day it fades away and will again come after long drives.
Old 12th March 2013, 09:42   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Can you please tell me what kind of noise it was?
It's not a metal to metal rubbing noise, but something close to khatkhat when driven over potholes or road patches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prash View Post
But once the car is not driven for even a day it fades away and will again come after long drives.
I faced exactly the same issue. There won't be much noise when the car is idle for a week, but after driving few km I could clearly hear that.
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2013, 09:59   #11
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

That is one of the oddest problems and ofcourse solutions hence. Am sure that a washer, cover or something that should have been present is missing from either the manufacturing process or earlier suspension work. No doubt a helpful solution but would suggest that others too check if indeed they have a larger than required strut to body mounting hole with no washer / nylon bit to fill the dia difference.
Old 12th March 2013, 11:19   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
That is one of the oddest problems and ofcourse solutions hence. Am sure that a washer, cover or something that should have been present is missing from either the manufacturing process or earlier suspension work. No doubt a helpful solution but would suggest that others too check if indeed they have a larger than required strut to body mounting hole with no washer / nylon bit to fill the dia difference.
All said and done what is the remedy to it. I am not as knowledgeable as you guys and nor I am in Chennai that i can personally meet Mr.Boss. Need help in this matter asap.
Old 25th July 2013, 17:55   #13
BHPian

I too face the same issue from front suspension. Need to check the suspension. one question, is this issue only in front left suspension, what about the right side suspension?

thanks
Old 25th July 2013, 18:10   #14
BHPian

Quote:
I am also facing a similar issue. My car makes a weird noise from the front left that FASS hasn't been able to diagnose yet. I have described it in detail in my ownership thread

I have a request for you Would you please read the description related to the noise and confirm if it is similar to what you used to face. I am just hoping that I have found the solution because getting rid of that noise is much better than learning to live with it.
Old 26th July 2013, 15:29   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryms View Post
is this issue only in front left suspension, what about the right side suspension?
Not sure about the reason, but in most of the cases (from other forum too) the issue reported is only on the LH side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
I have a request for you Would you please read the description related to the noise and confirm if it is similar to what you used to face.
If FASS couldn't diagnose the issue, you can give a try with this solution. Please be informed, it worked out for me, but in case of my friend who had similar noise issue it doesn't work.
Mr.Boss is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks