Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2016, 19:14   #91
BHPian

Re: Engine Decarbonising - Demystified

While I was at Shell pump to top up diesel in my Skoda Rapid, the attendant asked me if he can check oil level. Since I had done the servicing around 5 months back I mentioned he need not check the oil. But as the bonnet was already open for filling up water for windshield, the attendant took out the oil stick to check the oil level. And to my surprise the oil was almost touching the min line. Till now I never had to top up oil in between my yearly servicing schedule so this was a shocker.

It seems that during the last service the authorized service center hasn't replaced the engine oil or just topped up. I hardly had done 6000 KM since that servicing. So decided to go for oil change and engine flush considering that oil wasn't changed for a long duration. Shell guys had Abro engine flush, so went ahead with that followed by oil change. Since then I have seen a great improvement in driving. Its much smoother. Lesser engine noise. Off course it could be the cumulative effect of Shell Helix Ultra and Engine flush.
sunilyk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2016, 21:01   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilyk View Post
While I was at Shell pump to top up diesel in my Skoda Rapid, the attendant asked me if he can check oil level. Since I had done the servicing around 5 months back I mentioned he need not check the oil. But as the bonnet was already open for filling up water for windshield, the attendant took out the oil stick to check the oil level. And to my surprise the oil was almost touching the min line. Till now I never had to top up oil in between my yearly servicing schedule so this was a shocker.
Engine oil level should be checked when engine has rested for atlest 20 minutes after a run. A hot engine will always show a low oil level on the dip stick. But glad you found the driving experience better than before, no harm in changing oil before schedule :thumbup:
Mashblue is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th July 2016, 23:53   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
And to my surprise the oil was almost touching the min line. Till now I never had to top up oil in between my yearly servicing schedule.
Check oil levels as mentioned in the manual. Most will recommend a minimum cooling period after switching off the engine. This is so that the oil which is circulated in the engine while running flows back to the sump; where the dipstick actually measures the level.
So, it is not a bad idea to check engine oil preferably in the morning before you start your car.
Regards.
saket77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th July 2016, 16:33   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashblue View Post
Engine oil level should be checked when engine has rested for atlest 20 minutes after a run. A hot engine will always show a low oil level on the dip stick. But glad you found the driving experience better than before, no harm in changing oil before schedule :thumbup:
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Check oil levels as mentioned in the manual. Most will recommend a minimum cooling period after switching off the engine. This is so that the oil which is circulated in the engine while running flows back to the sump; where the dipstick actually measures the level.
So, it is not a bad idea to check engine oil preferably in the morning before you start your car.
Regards.
Yes, absolutely. I didn't change the oil on the same day. After topping up diesel, I went to my work. While leaving for home in the evening, I rechecked the oil level (after almost 8 hours cooling period) and found the level below min mark, so that was alarming. Next day morning drove straight to Shell and got it changed.
sunilyk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2016, 19:50   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, absolutely. I didn't change the oil on the same day. After topping up diesel, I went to my work. While leaving for home in the evening, I rechecked the oil level (after almost 8 hours cooling period) and found the level below min mark, so that was alarming. Next day morning drove straight to Shell and got it changed.
That's good to know BUT I would never even start a car whose oil level is below minimum mark, leave alone driving it. You should have topped up the oil and then started it. It may result in irreversible damage and may even turn the engine in scrap.
Regards.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2018, 16:35   #96
BHPian

My Car got a Cardiac Care

The Setting
While I have been very choosy and skeptical about the aftermarket car detailing and modifications store, for the first time ever I took my car to an aftermarket care, but this time unlike myself - this was more of an experiment.

All this happened when my friend and his family moved into my nearby apartment and since we both speak a lot about cars and their maintenance - we obviously moved to this topic of the black smoke coming out of both our Ford TDCi. Both our cars are almost of the same age and have clocked 57K and his with 65K respectively.

While I have been very cautious and curious of the dipping oil levels from the engine of my EcoSport, he was more concerned about the Carbon leftovers within his Fiesta Classics exhaust.

Twist
My recent visit to the Ford ASS justified my suspected high oil consumption, and on acceleration - could see a high level of black smoke from the exhaust which is not comforting. Added to this - I have made up my mind to get the overhaul done - targeting a replacement of my engine block assembly with piston and rings provided I get some good Goodwill assistance from the company. (This should go to some thread soon)

While I have been suspecting, my driving style and of course my misfortune I started feeling like my engine is not breathing as it should, and hence went by friends suggestion on get the carbon cleaned through these guys called Car Cardiac Care, who are there Cochin. As my planned date of visit to Ford ASS to get the engine diagnostics was monday which is still a few days ahead - I went to the cardiac care to get some carbon out as I wait for a deeper diagnostics.

After doing a detailed study on facebook through customer reviews and a couple of Media coverage on the same enterprise I gave them a message, and they politely responded to me with a call fixing an appointment.

Visit
Next day morning 19th July, I drive down there drenched in rain, with my thoughts of low compression - i really started feeling my car is not breathing properly, which only made me get this decarbonation mandatory - despite the fact that my car might get an engine overhaul. I didnt have sufficient understanding or knowledge to judge when would be the right time to do it - is it before the overhaul or is it later. But I said lets get this done - probably this would be the right time to get this done.

Drove down to this "ok" place which was merely a neat garage with a couple of mechanics and two other cars around "Both belonged to the staff there", I had a warm welcome and they gave me an overview of what would happen during the next 30 mins.

Engine Decarbonising - Demystified-unnamed.jpg

They simply opened my air intake pipe and plugged in the device - which would push in Hydrogen and Oxygen into the engine for the next 30 mins, set on the device. The 30 mins was decided based on the size of my engine and of course my ODO reading. For cars above 1L it would take some 45 mins based on my understanding.

Engine Decarbonising - Demystified-img_7238.jpeg
The monitor on top of the machine that pumped Oxygen and Hydrogen

Engine Decarbonising - Demystified-img_7237.jpeg
They have removed the metal connector on top of the intake and have placed this hose with its cap reducing impurities flowing in

All this is with an idle engine and the variation in the sound was visible probably from the 10th or 12th mins since the pump in started. I could not spot anything on the exhaust pipes as yet, but the variation in noise was visible (Probably I started paying more attention to the engine noise since oil level came down). Now post the 30th minute, they closed the system and switched off my vehicle to do a test drive. They did not do a pre-test drive though.

Engine Decarbonising - Demystified-img_7236.jpeg
Yes, just this thin pipe doing all the job.

The technician got into the car and started driving this for about 5 kms from the place, and he was trying to burn more carbon out by revving the engine beyond 2K to within 3K rpm, and he said the car doesnt feel any choking and he added that I should be able to judge it more clearly.

The Result
After for about 5 KM, I got into the driving seat, and I drove like I used to drive but added some load on the engine to test its change. To my shock (and hope I am better right here) I could see that
1) Visible variation in the engine noise (with glasses down / no AC / No Music) and probable I felt the car was breathing quite well.
2) Though not remarkable the accelerators responsiveness was quite improved in comparison to the last say 4-5K I have driven. I felt like the car had gained some fresh air in the way it drives now (of course not so remarkable).

Now that my car is going to the garage next Monday, my next visit there would be with my friend and his car. But I still feel that my general feedback or judgement would come only post about a day of driving - or may be at least 50K. I feel the effort is quite work the 3K spend on the car, which I would do again in my next 35K.

Check out their facebook page for more reviews https://www.facebook.com/c3gogreen/
their website here: http://www.carcardiac.com/

NOTE: I have no connection / relation with the guys in the center. The post was created to get general opinion from Bhpians on this processes, and as I could not find anything similar to this on the forum - felt I could add some value to people around the area to use the service if they are keen.
peterjim13 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th July 2018, 09:58   #97
BHPian

Re: My Car got a Cardiac Care

Interesting post. This is the first time I am hearing about something like this. But still I am in dark about the actual theory behind this; I am not sure whether the effect will last longer than a few thousand kilometers. Also I am surprised about the fact that a 57k run diesel engine shows signs of weakness so early in the life (assuming the engine life north of 2-3 lakh with proper maintanence). I have driven a Ford Ikon TDCi with 168000 km on the ODO and it was running fine without any noticeable drop in performance.IMHO there shouldn't be these kind of issue to start with in modern diesel engines; Did you try EGR cleaning/air filter change before doing this?

Also from the 'symptoms' mentioned by you, there is no need of engine overhaul. I have read about the engine overhaul in your XUV 500 but in this case it is unwarranted IMO.

Last edited by DrANTO : 20th July 2018 at 10:01.
DrANTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th July 2018, 10:56   #98
Senior - BHPian

Actually you can get similar effect and decoarbonising by running the vehicle at a reasonable speed for between 100 and 200 km on an open highway. Continuous running at speed heats up the engine and burns most of the carbon deposits.

Another area where the engine gets less area is the air filter, especially during rains when humidity in the air along with minute dist particles clog up the paper elements.
Aroy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th July 2018, 13:13   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post

The technician got into the car and started driving this for about 5 kms from the place, and he was trying to burn more carbon out by revving the engine beyond 2K to within 3K rpm,
I think this would have done the trick more than the mix of gases that was put through the intake.
Like someone said, the engine should not feel choked at just 57k kms.

Replacing the air filter is the first thing I would do as I know on this diesel or any other, it plays a crucial part in performance. Ford sells them over the counter, you can stock few and it is quite easy to replace as well.
Tighten the intake plumbing clamps. On my Aspire TDCi which had run just 6k kms, when the clamps were checked, none of them were fully torqued and that did make a significant difference.

The other thing I have noticed is that I used to drive my car like a petrol, often hitting 3k rpms , but the fuel efficiency took a hit , so now I am mileage mode and up-shifting before 2k rpms. At those rpms, the engine is quiet, there is enough torque and shifting is less which becomes a habit and that is bound to get soot deposited in the exhaust and internals over the long run.
I would suggest giving it the beans on a empty stretch every once in a while to get rid of that soot.

EGR cleaning should come up close to a lakh kms.

Last edited by tharian : 20th July 2018 at 13:15.
tharian is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 20th July 2018, 13:43   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrANTO View Post
Interesting post.
These guys are around Pala if I am not wrong.

Quote:
Did you try EGR cleaning/air filter change before doing this?
Havent done the Engine Room Cleaning (if thats what EGR stands for).

I had my 60K or yearly service done last month and had this replaced.

Quote:
Also from the 'symptoms' mentioned by you, there is no need of engine overhaul. I have read about the engine overhaul in your XUV 500 but in this case it is unwarranted IMO.
This is just going with a worst case assumption - so on Monday, they shall start with Compression Test and then do a detailed diagnosis. I suspect damaged piston rings or something within the block.

The oil levels are dipping pretty quick.
Old 20th July 2018, 13:57   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Havent done the Engine Room Cleaning (if thats what EGR stands for).

I had my 60K or yearly service done last month and had this replaced.

This is just going with a worst case assumption - so on Monday, they shall start with Compression Test and then do a detailed diagnosis. I suspect damaged piston rings or something within the block.

The oil levels are dipping pretty quick.
EGR stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation which is a emission meeting mechanism for diesels.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhaust_gas_recirculation

Have you noticed a noticeable dip in oil level and also oil smoke from the exhaust or traces of oil in the tailpipe ?
Old 20th July 2018, 14:20   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Replacing the air filter is the first thing I would do as I know on this diesel or any other, it plays a crucial part in performance. Ford sells them over the counter, you can stock few and it is quite easy to replace as well.
I had got my filters replaced last month, not checked on the quality of the fitting. Shall get this checked.

Quote:
so now I am mileage mode and up-shifting before 2k rpms. At those rpms, the engine is quiet, there is enough torque and shifting is less which becomes a habit and that is bound to get soot deposited in the exhaust and internals over the long run.
I would suggest giving it the beans on a empty stretch every once in a while to get rid of that soot.

EGR cleaning should come up close to a lakh kms.
I have been on mileage mode eversince I have been using the car, I hardly remember cruising above 100 Kmph. I infact have set an alarm at 90KM just to make myself sure. Even on my long drives, I do not cruise to hit speed bars, I try to maintain a steady speed and keep passengers have a comfortable travel (my wife and my 2 year old daugher on the car seat). This is true even when I am driving alone - typically to work which is at about 8KM from my apartment, or may be the rare short drives I take in case if required max within 100 KM. Never burn the gas like these - and never engage in road rage as well.

Quote:
EGR stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation which is a emission meeting mechanism for diesels.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhaust_gas_recirculation
Noted, havent done this as yet - let me see whether I have a provision here.

Quote:
Have you noticed a noticeable dip in oil level and also oil smoke from the exhaust or traces of oil in the tailpipe ?
Oil dip has been noticeable - say my last top up was 1000 KM before and now it had taken up almost 1/3rd of it.

No Oil Smoke or No traces of oil in the tail pipe - based on the way I have checked.

My brother in law noticed blue smoke from my exhaust last week on a cold start.

But I could not find it today.
Old 21st July 2018, 09:57   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oil dip has been noticeable - say my last top up was 1000 KM before and now it had taken up almost 1/3rd of it.

No Oil Smoke or No traces of oil in the tail pipe - based on the way I have checked.

My brother in law noticed blue smoke from my exhaust last week on a cold start.

But I could not find it today.
A bit of white smoke, not dense, is normal on cold start.

Also the oil that Ford uses is known to reduce over time since it's quite thin and burns off. I haven't noticed it in my car yet probably because it's not run much. But I have read members mention the same.

Honestly, I doubt if there is anything major with your engine.
But I would still suggest revving the engine once a while. It need not be road rage.
tharian is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2018, 11:28   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Honestly, I doubt if there is anything major with your engine.
But I would still suggest revving the engine once a while. It need not be road rage.
Noted Tharian, I also feel that I have been too gentle on this diesel. But now since I have my fingers burned - shall take care going forth.

The whole smoke theory has gone off post the "Decarbonization" - not sure of the science behind. The engine now sounds a quite sweeter.

Have dropped my car to start with the compression test - however the Service Head at Kairali Ford (who is also a good friend of mine) didnt show much confidence, and he feels that my car is a part of the 2013 models which had similar issues.

Fingers Crossed !
peterjim13 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2018, 16:02   #105
BANNED

Stumbled upon this bit of information while looking for automotive videos on YouTube.

For Gasoline direct injected engines, it has been observed that high mileage engines have carbon and sludge building up on the intake manifold and intake valve area. Reason being the crankcase vent which is connected to inlet manifold, being the source of all the carbon and sludge.
Effects, power and efficiency loss due to blocking of inlet air to engine.
In port fuel injected engines or MPFI as commonly known, the petrol spray on intake manifold has some amount of cleaning effect thus avoiding such a build up from taking place.

The questions I like to ask the persons in the know on this forum is:
1. Are oil volatility values available in India which will have a direct bearing on the amount of carbon build up on the intake manifold.
2. Are catcher cans available in India.
3. What about LPG and CNG vehicles, do they face this, any data or records of this.
4. How do the diesel engines get over this problem.

Thank you

Not many gasoline direct injected cars have been sold in India.
One is the Sonata from Hyundai that comes to my mind.
Ant update on engine condition after acquiring high mileage.

Last edited by GTO : 21st November 2018 at 07:51.
norhog is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks